• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Location "WMBYEFR" showing as a passenger stop ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoff

Not sure when I captured this screenshot from the National rail iphone app, does the penultimate stop (WMBYEFR) have some meaning...

Nationalrail.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
WMBYEFR, is 'Wembley Receptions 1-7', where the train reverses.

The literal translation is something like Wembley European Freight Reception sidings 1-7

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why does the train reverse there?
Caledonian Sleepers stop there to attach/detach locos or runround when running via the ECML. As it's showing Carstairs then Edinburgh, I'd guess this is for the ECML diverts. It shouldn't be showing as a passenger stop, that's a data error (one I tried to get some computer verification for but the cost couldn't be justified).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's just a reversal that mistakenly hasn't been surpressed. These things happen from time to time.

JKF

can you buy a ticket to there? I’d quite like to see that on a printed ticket :)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
can you buy a ticket to there? I’d quite like to see that on a printed ticket :)
No; it would have to be a location in the fares system for you to be able to do so. There are around 12,000 TIPLOCs (timing points that can be used when creating train schedules) but only around 2700 stations/locations you can buy tickets to/from.

JKF

That’s a shame. I’d quite like to go up to the booking office window and ask for a “Day return to Wmbyefr please”.
“A day return to where? Is that on the Heart of Wales line?”

That’s a shame. I’d quite like to go up to the booking office window and ask for a “Day return to Wmbyefr please”.
“A day return to where? Is that on the Heart of Wales line?”
It would be double f if it were on the Heart of Wales line.

Trackman

Established Member
It does happen from time to time.
Seen it on PIS's, RTT and apps.
It would be great if an automated onboard announcement system said 'The next station stop will be Wembley reception sidings' !! .. please take all your personal belongings with you and mind the gap.. etc.. :)

King Lazy

The PIS in Windermere trains often shows a signal, (I think it is something like CE52). From memory I think it shows “the next stop is Oxenholme sig CE52”

I’ve also seen it very rarely on departure boards at stations. As it scrolls it shows something along the lines of Lancaster, Oxn CE52, Oxenholme, Kendal.

And the Class 397 occasionally shows the next stop as Princes Street Gardens.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The PIS in Windermere trains often shows a signal, (I think it is something like CE52). From memory I think it shows “the next stop is Oxenholme sig CE52”

I’ve also seen it very rarely on departure boards at stations. As it scrolls it shows something along the lines of Lancaster, Oxn CE52, Oxenholme, Kendal.

And the Class 397 occasionally shows the next stop as Princes Street Gardens.
There are a number of examples:

As has been explained, the stops are managed by data codes input by NR planners when validating the timetable. These codes are easy to miss and have pre-set defaults, but only rudimentary automated error-checking. Occasionally NR do sweeps of this data, but it is time-consuming and has a similar risk of error. There are frequent discussions about getting the computer verification more involved but it usually ended up deciding that the cost was too great for the anticipated risk (5- or 6-figure sums for annual maintenance and support, for something that had no impact on the safe or timely running of trains).

Established Member
Some Crosscountry services show Abbeyhill Junction on CIS screen.

Attachments

• E2D78D5F-4FF7-414A-9965-0A2D9B547D56.jpeg
    E2D78D5F-4FF7-414A-9965-0A2D9B547D56.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 32

Established Member
Easily fixed if somebody let's Train Planning at QMK know.
This has been happening for years, at least 4-5 that I’m aware of, and yes they’ve been told.
Also appears on a couple of LNER every now and again.

During Carlisle diverts for LNER, London road junction at Carlisle often appears on CIS and also on the train PIS.

zwk500

Veteran Member
This has been happening for years, at least 4-5 that I’m aware of, and yes they’ve been told.
Also appears on a couple of LNER every now and again.

During Carlisle diverts for LNER, London road junction at Carlisle often appears on CIS and also on the train PIS.
Yep, I did do quite a major sift through about 6 months ago, which also ended up uncovering, once and for all, that the * had to be first otherwise it was pointless, but because there's not computer verification of the location codes to this level it's always an uphill battle to catch the errors.
It's a limitation of how the codes were built into TPS, I'd be happy to go into the details of what potential solutions there were in a DM if you want.

Established Member
Why the race to blame MK, do you know it wasn’t bid like that? Doncaster (used to?) go through these weekly, has that stopped for some operators, should be picking up before day of operation at least.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Why the race to blame MK, do you know it wasn’t bid like that? Doncaster (used to?) go through these weekly, has that stopped for some operators, should be picking up before day of operation at least.
It's possible, even probable, it was bid incorrectly. However NR do validate the sleeper schedules and the opportunity to correct it was missed (understandably, given the pressure they're under). It's also quite possible that these errors are cyclical, and they're being bid to NR badly because they're based on offers from NR that have bad data in them in the first place. And certainly if you were faced with the choice on a Friday afternoon of fixing data codes that made no real difference to trains running or making sure junction margins were clear, you'd pick the junction margins every time so that trains that weekend ran on time.
(Btw I worked in Train planning at QMK for 5 years, I know the difficulties and pressures they're under and the quality of the bid data that comes in. It's not a race to blame MK, but a frank acknowledgement of who is the final line of checks before the data goes downstream.)

Last edited:

SargeNpton

Established Member
As some of these locations crop up frequently, it's possible that some of the errors are embedded in the templates that the TOCs use to create the bids in their own train planning systems. Getting those templates corrected as a one-off exercise would perhaps save hours of editing the schedules after they have been bid.

zwk500

Veteran Member
As some of these locations crop up frequently, it's possible that some of the errors are embedded in the templates that the TOCs use to create the bids in their own train planning systems. Getting those templates corrected as a one-off exercise would perhaps save hours of editing the schedules after they have been bid.
It depends if they're templates or if they just roll over the offer from the last time it ran.

Status
Not open for further replies.