• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco Hauled Chiltern Day Out & query

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I traveled yesterday on Chiltern railways from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street, using the 50 Pence evening standard offer.

I was very impressed indeed. I went up on the 1015 silver train, loco hauled service, which was very clean, spacious & comfortable and arrived 7 mins early. (Which helped with an onward connection from New St.) The staff on the train were very helpful with a ticket query I had too.

The return journey was fine on the 1555 train, another loco hauled silver train, although there was a delay of about 35 minutes owing to a technical issue.

The onboard staff kept us informed & gave the option to travel on the 1615 slower shorter train. However we chose to stay with the 1555 & I Think had a more comfortable journey by doing that.

I would like to especially give praiseworthy mention to the ticket inspector/guard on the 1555, he was very informative & professional.

Both trains were very well patronized.

I noticed too that the uniform the staff were wearing on the trains and stations, also looked very smart indeed, consisting of work trousers/shirt/tie & dark grey V neck jumper. Whoever designed this did a good job.

Well done Chiltern.

I did notice coming south, when we went through Bicester Station, you can normally see the old line running underneath from Oxford to Bletchley, but has that now been taken up pending the extention/improvement of that service as well as the connection that will allow trains to run from Oxford to Marylebone?

There also appeared to be more Chiltern loco hauled services operating yesterday than show in the time table, are these extra trains or test trains? some of the liveries were blue & white, similar to the old IC livery and what was used on the Wrexham/Shropshire trains.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chester025

There also appeared to be more Chiltern loco hauled services operating yesterday than show in the time table, are these extra trains or test trains? some of the liveries were blue & white, similar to the old IC livery and what was used on the Wrexham/Shropshire trains.

The following are booked for a 'Silver' LHCS set but aren't shown in the timetable:

0705 Kidderminster - Marylebone
1045 Marylebone - Snow Hill
1312 Snow Hill - Marylebone
1847 Marylebone - Kidderminster.

And the following is booked for the 'Blue & Grey' slamdoor set:

0744 Banbury - Marylebone
1750 Marylebone - Banbury

Full diagrams are available here: http://www.railforums.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1478542&postcount=3

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Yes,
Chiltern are really sosh when it comes to that stuff.
Believe me you wouldn't want to travel on the chiltern 'cart' class 168 or 165 as the silver class 67 is much better.
Remember it isn't chilterns fault that the 15:55 BMO-MYB was delayed as the technical issues weren't they're fault.
Chiltern are much nicer than virgin to travel on and the silver set diagrams are fairly frequent.
Glad you enjoyed your journey and I hope you travel again soon.
Here are the diagrams of the 67 silver service.

Weekday.

1H18 06:09 Kidderminster-London Marylebone.
1H21 06:38 Stourbridge Junction-London Maylebone.
07:05 Kidderminster-London Marylebone.
07:44 Banbury-London Marylebone (blue and grey set).
08:45 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.
10:15 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.
10:45 London Marylebone-Birmingham Snow Hill.
10:55 Birmingham Moor Street-London Marylebone.
12:55 Birmingham Moor Street-London Marylebone.
13:12 Birmingham Snow Hill-London Marylebone.
13:15 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.
15:55 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.
16:47 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.
17:15 London Marylebone-Kidderminster.
17:50 London Marylebone-Banbury (blue and grey set).
18:15 London Marylebone-Kidderminster.
18:47 London Marylebone-Kidderminster.

Saturdays.

07:12 Kidderminster-London Marylebone.
09:10 Kidderminster-London Marylebone.
11:06 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.
13:55 Birmingham Moor Street-London Marylebone.
17:06 London Marylebone-Birmingham Snow Hill.
18:06 London Marylebone-Birmingham Snow Hill.

Sundays.

18:06 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.

Last edited:

overtonchris

I traveled yesterday on Chiltern railways from Marylebone to Birmingham Moor Street, using the 50 Pence evening standard offer.

I was very impressed indeed. I went up on the 1015 silver train, loco hauled service, which was very clean, spacious & comfortable and arrived 7 mins early. (Which helped with an onward connection from New St.) The staff on the train were very helpful with a ticket query I had too.

The return journey was fine on the 1555 train, another loco hauled silver train, although there was a delay of about 35 minutes owing to a technical issue.

The onboard staff kept us informed & gave the option to travel on the 1615 slower shorter train. However we chose to stay with the 1555 & I Think had a more comfortable journey by doing that.

I would like to especially give praiseworthy mention to the ticket inspector/guard on the 1555, he was very informative & professional.

Both trains were very well patronized.

I noticed too that the uniform the staff were wearing on the trains and stations, also looked very smart indeed, consisting of work trousers/shirt/tie & dark grey V neck jumper. Whoever designed this did a good job.

Well done Chiltern.

I did notice coming south, when we went through Bicester Station, you can normally see the old line running underneath from Oxford to Bletchley, but has that now been taken up pending the extention/improvement of that service as well as the connection that will allow trains to run from Oxford to Marylebone?

It's great to see you've had a good day - makes a nice change from the usual gripes and groans!:D I've been meaning to do the 67 thing from Marylebone for ages- but it is a bit of a "dog-leg" from my village to do the trip - and I can't get a 50p ticket! I would like to ask though, how did you rate this trip against the "more usual / boring" trip from Euston to Brum?....much to see train-wise?...Guess not???

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It's great to see you've had a good day - makes a nice change from the usual gripes and groans!:D I've been meaning to do the 67 thing from Marylebone for ages- but it is a bit of a "dog-leg" from my village to do the trip - and I can't get a 50p ticket! I would like to ask though, how did you rate this trip against the "more usual / boring" trip from Euston to Brum?....much to see train-wise?...Guess not???
I do the journey a lot of the time and I would rate it as slower than a Virgin 390 but much much nicer.
I would definitely travel Chiltern silver set instead of Virgin.

overtonchris

I do the journey a lot of the time and I would rate it as slower than a Virgin 390 but much much nicer.
I would definitely travel Chiltern silver set instead of Virgin.

Thanks fishquin.....I've heard good reports and I won't be any rush! Nice weather's coming so I think I'll bag me a nice "cheapish" Advance!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Yes,
Believe me you wouldn't want to travel on the chiltern 'cart' class 168 or 165 as the silver class 67 is much better.
Remember it isn't chilterns fault that the 15:55 BMO-MYB was delayed as the technical issues weren't they're fault.
Chiltern are much nicer than virgin to travel on and the silver set diagrams are fairly frequent.

Weekday.

1H21 06:38 Stourbridge Junction-London Maylebone.
15:55 London Marylebone-Birmingham Moor Street.

Saturdays.

Sundays.

Thank you for these. There do seem to be some extra loco hauled services, worth noting those.

Yes it was a good day out and I am glad I stuck with the delayed 1555 silver train rather than bail out onto the four coach dmu from Snow Hill.

I was so impressed with the service I had on Chiltern that day, that I sent them a e-mail praising them which they seemed pleased to receive and they even said that I could claim delay compensation !, but as the ticket was only 50 pence return, I won't bother with that.

The reason for the delay was door interlocking problems, which may not of happend on a slam door set. Anyway once rectified it was fine.

I would always look at Chiltern when planning any travel to the West Midlands.

It's always worth looking at the Evening Newspapers as Chiltern seem to have these 50 pence offers once or twice a year, they also have had a couple of £ 2.50 each way offers, so making a return from Lon to B'rum £ 5.00 which is still a very good deal. (I wish other TOCs would do the same.)

In answer to another question here, I think the journey from Marylebone is more scenic than it is from Euston. The countryside is nicer. :D

Last edited:

Newshy37

I used one of the loco hauled sets on my way back from Hungary last year and would agree wholeheartedly with your comments. It was the nicest train we travelled on all of our 3 week trip round europe, nice staff too, perhaps not as much thrash as the M40 in Hungary though ;)

I have used it since to get to London from Preston. A slight detour and longer journey time but a bit cheaper and a million times better than those sardine tins Virgin use. I too emailed them to say thanks and got a nice reply. I recomend using them whenever anyone can.

Beveridges

Established Member
Shame they have no use to me due to the area they are used in. They would be better than yet another bouncy Pacer or yet another overcrowded Pendolino or yet another Vomiter.

Sunbird24

Yes,

Weekday.

1H21 06:38 Stourbridge Junction-London Marylebone. - corrected.
15:55 Birmingham Moor Street-London Marylebone. - corrected.
5E90 19:40 Birmingham(Moor Street) to Wembley LMD - added.

Saturdays.

Sundays.

Just curious, the weekday service shows only 7 up trains but 10 down trains.
Is this reversed with the 165/8 sets? That would mean a lot of wasteful ecs movements. Or do a lot of passengers use a different route in one direction? Or maybe you missed some out.

Last edited:

Freightmaster

Established Member
Just curious, the weekday service shows only 7 up trains but 10 down trains.
The 1555 service is transposed in the list;
it's actually Birmingham to Marylebone.

The other balancing southbound working is 5E90
19:40 Birmingham(Moor Street) to Wembley LMD.

MARK

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I see negative comments about the 165s and 168s here. Yes there is a significant difference between a 165/168 from London to Birmingham compared to a Silver set with a 67 up front, but the way it's being suggested here you're shoved onto a wooden box with hay to make it more comfortable, with livestock for company if you don't get a Silver set!

The biggest difference has to be the engine noise on a 168, although even at full power it's not that noisy normally. 165s are noisier yes, but the DMUs have the advantage of moveable arm rests, something which is incredibly irritatingly missing on the MK3s!

sprinterguy

Established Member
Indeed. The 168s are very decent trains, and well suited to the length and stopping pattern of the Chiltern line, in my opinion.

I don’t have any issues with the 165s, either, on journeys of an hour or so.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
sprinterguy:1914505 said:
Indeed. The 168s are very decent trains, and well suited to the length and stopping pattern of the Chiltern line, in my opinion.

I don’t have any issues with the 165s, either, on journeys of an hour or so.

Glad someone else felt strong enough to defend the 168s against the hoard of loco enthusiasts!

I've had 165029 (IIRC) from Marylebone to Snow Hill in the past, granted it was a few years back now. It wasn't a bad journey to be fair.

Geezertronic

Established Member
I have never got why people are passionate about stock bashing (as in criticism) tbh. I'd take 390 to London any day if only for the fact I live 15 minutes away from Birmingham International and wouldn't go out of my way to take anything else. Service availability, speed and comfort are all I care about - the 390s cover all three for me.

The 350, 220 & FGW HST I took to Newport a few weeks ago were also fine as were the 170 & 350 on the return leg.

168lover

Living in Wycombe and using the chiltern mainline between High Wycombe and Gerrards Cross I have been on a 168,165,172 and a 67 loco haul set. I have to say they are all comfortable. For those wandering how I use a 67 on such a short journey I use 1H16 between Wycombe and Beaconsfield:D

Yew

Established Member
Just wondering, but what is the interior of the 'banbury commuter rake' like?

shaun

Just wondering, but what is the interior of the 'banbury commuter rake' like?

Believe it is the original late 90s Virgin Trains interior but with silver set seats, last time I checked anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.