• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco hauled trains into and out of Glasgow Central 1976-1981

Status
Not open for further replies.

kemal

Established Member
Hi

Does anyone have any railway lists or records from Glasgow Central for the years 1976-1981 at all please? Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Kemal Ali

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delt1c

Established Member
Used to spend a lot of time spotting at Glasgow Central in the mid 70's. Unfortunately I no longer have my logs, however from memory here is what I remember.
Class 20 sometimes used for ECS workings
Class 24 & 26 on a few Sunday diversions of Inverness services when Queen St was closed.
Class 25 & 27 ECS workings, also on Carlisle service via Dumfries
Occasional class 40 on the GSW route
Class 45 on GSW route. Later 40's and 45's banned after a derailment
Class 47 GSW route
Class 50 on WCML prior to electrification

Classes 81 - 85 usually on the Liverpool / Manchester services and some overnights
Class 86 and 87's usually Birmingham and London
DMU's
101 , 105, 107 116, occasional 122and 126 , 126's sometimes worked carlisle service.
108 Occasionally visited from Carlisle.
EMU's as expected 303 and 311
Only once saw an 08

delt1c

Established Member
During this period, how common were Class 37s on services?
Never saw a 37 in Glasgow Central during this period. The 37's allocated to Scr were i believe where possible used for Grangemouth Oil trains. 37 haulage in Scotland at this time was rarer than Hens teeth. Even for us Scottish spotters of the time they were elusive beasts at times

Whistler40145

Established Member
Never saw a 37 in Glasgow Central during this period. The 37's allocated to Scr were i believe were where possible used for Grangemouth Oil trains. 37 haulage in Scotland at this time was rarer than Hens teeth. Even for us Scottish spotters of the time they were elusive beasts at times
Thanks

Established Member
My Dad has a wealth of knowledge on the later part of the 1970s, and the 1980s in Scotland.

On the specific point of Class 37s on passenger services, he says that steam heats started to appear on the West Highland Line in late 1980, and the Kyle and Far North in 1982.

Before then, the only 37 he can remember seeing on a passenger service was on a Queen Street-Dundee semi fast in 1979.

He remembers one hauling a Euston electric via the G&SW on a Sunday in the period, but has no idea if the train set off from Central with the diesel. It probably did.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sorry if I’ve disappointed you, maybe look on the internet yourself

Looks like there were a couple of incidents:

Also in the Glasgow area, Classes 40, 45 & 46 were banned from Glasgow Central station due to problems with their ability to derail on the complex pointwork and curves in the station area. During the morning of August 21st 1978 40047 had become derailed blocking several platforms whilst on January 12th 1980 45126 became derailed in the station area while working the 11.50 Glasgow - Nottingham. The result of the ban saw Toton Class 47s replace the Class 45s on these diagrams.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/80.html

crosscity

Looks like there were a couple of incidents:
Was the layout at Glasgow Central changed just prior to these derailments? 'Peaks' had been operating into Glasgow Central on the Nottingham's predecessor 'The Thames-Clyde Express' since the mid-sixties, presumably without incident.

delt1c

Established Member
Interstingly the only time I ever saw a power twin 126 was on a Sunday late afternoon Glasgow Central to Carlisle via GSW service

delt1c

Established Member
Until their withdrawal, how common were Class 84s on Class One passenger turns?
They wern't that common but turn up quite often. From what i remember Euston and Birminghams were 86 & 87's, Liverpool and Manchester could produce anything , although 82's and 84's were more on freights . I remember around 1976 on Saturday I went on a holiday preview special to Morcambe . I was pleased to see an 84 on the front, however we only got as far as Polmadie before it failed. Sat there for around an hour looking at the line of withdrawn 24's. Cant remember what replaced the 84

d9009alycidon

Used to spend a lot of time spotting at Glasgow Central in the mid 70's. Unfortunately I no longer have my logs, however from memory here is what I remember.
Class 20 sometimes used for ECS workings
Class 24 & 26 on a few Sunday diversions of Inverness services when Queen St was closed.
Class 25 & 27 ECS workings, also on Carlisle service via Dumfries
Occasional class 40 on the GSW route
Class 45 on GSW route. Later 40's and 45's banned after a derailment
Class 47 GSW route
Class 50 on WCML prior to electrification

Classes 81 - 85 usually on the Liverpool / Manchester services and some overnights
Class 86 and 87's usually Birmingham and London
DMU's
101 , 105, 107 116, occasional 122and 126 , 126's sometimes worked carlisle service.
108 Occasionally visited from Carlisle.
EMU's as expected 303 and 311
Only once saw an 08

As a reguar spotter at Central during the period stated I would say that this about sums it up, the only ones to add would be that push pull 27s also worked into Central on diversions when Queen Street tunnel was being worked on, I have a photo of a clas 25 on a Carlisle stopper and a 20 on a civil engineering train in the station. A class 314 certainly made it into the station on an open day on 5 August 1979 and there may have been other visits that year - and of course there was the APT!

Jim

delt1c

Established Member
As a reguar spotter at Central during the period stated I would say that this about sums it up, the only ones to add would be that push pull 27s also worked into Central on diversions when Queen Street tunnel was being worked on, I have a photo of a clas 25 on a Carlisle stopper and a 20 on a civil engineering train in the station. A class 314 certainly made it into the station on an open day on 5 August 1979 and there may have been other visits that year - and of course there was the APT!

Jim
Traveled on the push pools a few times and they were normally diverted in Queen St low Level when Queen St was closed. Most commonly using the Bathgate Line. This did make for a quick disenbarking at low level between EMU's

d9009alycidon

Traveled on the push pools a few times and they were normally diverted in Queen St low Level when Queen St was closed. Most commonly using the Bathgate Line. This did make for a quick disenbarking at low level between EMU's

17th October 1976 - Coming home after a boozy night in York for my 19th Birthday, had done an Kings X -Aberdeen overnighter to Waverley and caught the first train to Glasgow, went via Dalmeny (rev) due to Winchborough Tunnel being flooded, then Polmont, Grahamston, Cumbernauld, Coatbridge Central, Carmyle, Rutherglen and into Glasgow Central. When we got to Queen Street we were "bustituted" to Bellgrove, so the LL was also out of use that day, hence the use of Central. Did the Bathgate line on the Push-Pulls a couple of years earlier

Taunton

Established Member
A few mentions of Central, and Scottish Class 37s, in these old notes from the 1970s Queen Street side (including 37s occasionally on the push-pull).

https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/scotrail-express-in-the-1980s.89374/#post-1574189

Scottish-allocated diesels were fairly common user across the Central Belt, you were as likely to see Eastfield, Polmadie or Haymarket diesels around. I think in 1976 the North Side electric lines were still not connected to the rest of the electrification, and two Class 20 were specially fitted with high level air brake pipes to move the Blue Trains between the two parts of the network. You could actually just see these moves from the outer end of the main line platforms that extend out over the Clyde by looking eastwards to the St Enoch bridge.

There was a morning commuter Ayr-Glasgow service with a Class 47 which used Mk 3 stock which then left for Euston.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was a morning commuter Ayr-Glasgow service with a Class 47 which used Mk 3 stock which then left for Euston.

Which went over to electric haulage throughout when the Ayr line was electrified. It was advertised and timetabled as a through service from Ayr to Euston.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Which went over to electric haulage throughout when the Ayr line was electrified. It was advertised and timetabled as a through service from Ayr to Euston.
Wasn’t the Ayr service merely an extension of a Glasgow Central to London Euston service?

route101

Established Member

When was the Ayr to Euston service stopped? Could run it today with the number of Ayrshire accents i hear on the pendo up to Glasgow at night

Whistler40145

Established Member
That I'm not sure about - at a guess I would say about 1990 if not before.

Given the structure of today's railway, probably not.
Not sure if they’d be sufficient power in the OHLE to cope with a Pendolino running between Glasgow Central and Ayr

d9009alycidon

Been trawling through the internet looking to see if class 31s ever made it into Central. Being common at Carlisle I would have thought that one might have found itself on a stopper via Kilmarnock. Earliest I have found so far was 31430 and 31431 on the "Thames Clyde Express" railtour from St Pancras on 3 May 1989.

Status
Not open for further replies.