• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco MORNING STAR 70021

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good evening. I have just bought second hand 00 gauge 4.6.2 Loco MORNING STAR 70021. I Just wondered in working life what regions would that loco have worked it. It has the British Railways wheel with a lion on the tender. Tks. Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
The David Hey Collection website includes the excellent Britannia class synopsis by Derek Dean.
The entry for Morning Star can be found from the following link and then scrolling down the page:
http://www.davidheyscollection.com/page91.htm
The entry includes:
Programme authorised on17th November 1949; built at Crewe Works and completed on the 3rd August 1951 to order E479/220/Swindon 397 and was withdrawn on the 30th December 1967. The additional part of the order number added the Swindon Works request to fit Western Region lamp irons and the Automatic Train Control equipment with in-frame pipework; this raised the cost of construction slightly to £20,144.

ALLOCATIONS: After running-in was completed to satisfaction and the ATC pick-up fitted by Swindon Works, 70021 was delivered to Plymouth Laira MPD (83D) to begin earning some revenue, and would have been the first of the five Britannias to see service from that depot. Early in 1957, the engine moved from Devon to join the other WR Britannias at Cardiff Canton (86C), but was removed from Cardiff after eighteen months and allocated to Trafford Park depot in Manchester (9A) from July 1958 until February 1961, when transfer to Willesden MPD (1A) came about. The engine resided at the West London depot until the first days of 1965, except for one week away at Aston shed (21D) in March 1962, which may or may not have been an anomaly. The locomotive then followed a very familiar path for the Britannia class; after closure of Crewe North depot (5A) to steam in June 1965 70021 was transferred to Crewe South shed (5B), but then deviated slightly when transferred to Newton Heath MPD (26A) in mid-July 1965. 70021 stayed in the Manchester area with a move to Stockport Edgeley depot (9B) in late May 1966, remaining there for slightly more than twelve months before its final move to Carlisle Kingmoor shed (12A) for its last six months in service.
Plus pictures and much more!

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Morning Star was used on Manchester Central to St Pancras expresses (and vv) c 1960, and (as noted above by eastdyke) David Hey's page confirms it was a Trafford PArk loco in that time. I definitely saw it in that time. Of course, I'm sure it did other turns too, but the Midland needed Cl 7 power to keep time with the accelerated timings while the WCML was being electrified, and I think 70021 was one of the first transferred from the Western to help with these duties. It was found by 1960 that the many tight curves on the Derby - Manchester route induced frame crackin on the Brits, and they began to be transferred away - replaced mainly by Cl 45s, which were then coming out of shops.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
I remember seeing 70021 on Stockport Edgeley shed very early in the morning on a Saturday in June 1966 from the 'Aberdonian' railtour.....I think that I had just woken up, looked out of the window and there she was!

Status
Not open for further replies.