• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loco working at Stranraer Hbr/Town 1950s

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
Looking at a 1950s timetable I note that the overnight train from Euston arrived around 0545, then left again at 0630 to arrive at Stranraer Town a few minutes later.

Does anyone know how this was done?

My understanding (I've never been) is that this would require a reversal. So, train arrives at Harbour - did a loco then attach to rear, draw it out to the junction and then allow the original train loco to draw it forward to Town? Or were there two run-rounds?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Looking at a 1950s timetable I note that the overnight train from Euston arrived around 0545, then left again at 0630 to arrive at Stranraer Town a few minutes later.

Does anyone know how this was done?

My understanding (I've never been) is that this would require a reversal. So, train arrives at Harbour - did a loco then attach to rear, draw it out to the junction and then allow the original train loco to draw it forward to Town? Or were there two run-rounds?
Also interesting is that the 6.30am departure is shown in Table 9 (I assume we are both looking at 1955 on Tumetableworld.com?) as continuing at 7.25 from Town to Glasgow, and there is an evening Town-Harbour-Glasgow too (but not a London).

Status
Not open for further replies.