• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Locos and units you didnt like and still dont miss

Status
Not open for further replies.

delt1c

Established Member
Plenty of threads on what we like and miss but how about the opposite. Loco's and units we didnt like when in service and still don't miss years after withdrawl.
For me diesel loco wise 25's, they were fine reliable work horses and did what they were asked to do but never got excited about them, maybe because In Scotland we had "our" 26's and 27's.
Next electric locos, never could get excited about the 85's, loved the 81's to 84's plus 86 and 87 but 85 (despite that roar) never excited me.
DMU's I am sure there are many out there that will not be shocked when I say 105's
EMU's EPB's they were work horses and did there job great, however they turned up almost everywhere on electrified Southern metals. Even at times attached to Express stock.

Just one point the Pacers haven't all gone yet so can we avoid turning this into a Pacer bash

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bevan Price

Established Member
Pre-1968, I sort of "hated" anything diesel, because they were replacing steam locos. After 1968. i grew to like diesels, and there was nothing I can say I hated - there were just some things I preferred not to travel in - basically any non-bogie passenger stock.... starting with DB railbuses.

Richard Scott

Established Member
47s, can't say I rated them and don't miss them. Didn't ever find 31s anything to write home about either. Can't say I miss any DMU class, occasionally take a trip on a heritage DMU for the experience but they were awful things in reality, poor ride, noisy and smelly. However an EE engine means a thumper unit was a totally different experience!

randyrippley

Established Member
Warships on Waterloo-Exeter.........it was always a gamble whether you'd get to the destination.
It was always a sigh of relief when a Hymek turned up instead: it might run late but it would get you there

CBlue

First Capital Connect/Thameslink Class 321s and 319s. They felt worn out 10 years ago and give a pretty nasty ride at speed, feeling like the train is hunting back and forth on its bogies. Really don't miss either on Thameslink or the ECML...

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Or A stock to be honest. Rough riding, slow, noisy and fitted with awful daylight lighting (at least that didn't make it into the S-stock, the warm white is much nicer, as is literally everything about the units).

The retro springy seats just about made A Stock pass the test for me!

Harpers Tate

Established Member
[controversial] Deltics. Noisy, smelly and with very poor low-speed acceleration. [/controversial]

hexagon789

Veteran Member
[controversial] Deltics. Noisy, smelly and with very poor low-speed acceleration. [/controversial]

To be very fair to Deltics that was because of the way the throttle was set up after experience with supplying ETH to air-con coaches.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Class 150s, never very comfortable and their indirect replacement by 170s which cascaded down other units was a vast improvement. Even if 158s to Bathgate was perhaps a bit of an overkill.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
For me 142's (but not 144's - I really miss those)

Those slidy-door things they had between Tonbridge and Redhill for a few years.

Crewe Exile

Liked most forms of traction except the cl 47 ‘duffs’! Particularly soft spot for Cl 20s - fantastic machines. Cl 40s were immense. Also liked the Cl 25, 26, 27 and 33
Thought Cl 50s were overrated, though can see why they had a large following
Hated sprinters.

Crewe Exile

Warships on Waterloo-Exeter.........it was always a gamble whether you'd get to the destination.
It was always a sigh of relief when a Hymek turned up instead: it might run late but it would get you there

Fantastic. Only ever had a ride behind one of those machines in preservation. Would have been great to have had a Hymek or Warship all guns blazing on a real working.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
They certainly weren't to the standard to which I'd become accustomed.

That said, the Merseyrail unit I went on recently was at least quite clean and tidy.

Merseyrail as I recall refurbished them with 2+2 seating in place of the original 2+3.

Journeyman

Established Member
Pretty much all of the Southern's slam-door stock. Very little of it was fit for purpose, and the modern replacements are invariably better.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
EMU's EPB's they were work horses and did there job great, however they turned up almost everywhere on electrified Southern metals. Even at times attached to Express stock.

I'd have loved to have had an EPB turn up on a scheduled service I was catching at Ashford during my youth. Never happenned sadly. Got the very occasional HAP though.

D2007wsm

Established Member
The FGW/GWR 150/1s. I hated when one of these turned up, yet don’t mind the 150/2s. I’m glad they’re gone and don’t miss them.

We don’t see many 150/2s anymore either, unless of course one turns up in place of a Turbo, 158 or mini HST.

AndyCK

For me, Class 487's on the Waterloo and City line. I always felt a little claustrophobic in those, no idea why

WesternLancer

Established Member
I used to dislike VEPs when they turned up instead of CIGs which I regarded as far more 'luxurious' - this was on coastway services which was my home route at the time in the 80s.
Of course nostalgia means I'd be happy if either turned up these days for a bit of variety!

Status
Not open for further replies.