• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Connections map - any update?

Status
Not open for further replies.

miklcct

On Moderation
The London Connections map produced by TfL, dated May 2014 shows all the railways in London on a geographical map.

This map is much more readable compared to the official "rail and tube map". The only shortcoming is that it lacks the fare zones.

However, this map is becoming outdated. Are there any updates to this map, or other up-to-date geographical railway map (showing all of the tube, DLR, trams and National Rail) I can use?

Thanks all.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The London Connections map produced by TfL, dated May 2014 shows all the railways in London on a geographical map.

This map is much more readable compared to the official "rail and tube map". The only shortcoming is that it lacks the fare zones.

However, this map is becoming outdated. Are there any updates to this map, or other up-to-date geographical railway map (showing all of the tube, DLR, trams and National Rail) I can use?

Thanks all.
IIRC the “London’s rail and tube” map replaced the “London Connections” map. Once Oyster PAYG became available throughout the zones on (nearly) all modes, I suspect there was no point in printing a map without the fare zones. I believe the present map is a joint TfL/National Rail product?

(There’s a thread in another sub-forum suggesting the 2-sided folded paper copies, (London & SE & London Rail and Tube), that used to have the to hand out at NR stations are no longer printed, but I’m not sure about that.)

Last edited:

Basil Jet

On Moderation
IIRC the “London’s rail and tube” map replaced the “London Connections” map.

He's talking about a different London Connections map, namely https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/224813/response/560395/attach/3/London%20Connections%20Map.pdf

I think this only became available because someone put in an FOI request, so if somebody puts in another FOI request, a new version may escape from TfL, because they may well be updating it for internal use.

(There’s a thread in another sub-forum suggesting the 2-sided folded paper copies, (London & SE & London Rail and Tube), that used to have the to hand out at NR stations are no longer printed, but I’m not sure about that.)
It has not been updated since the start of the pandemic, but the December 2019 one is still in racks at a number of stations and so is maybe still being printed.

bcarmicle

I think this only became available because someone put in an FOI request, so if somebody puts in another FOI request, a new version may escape from TfL, because they may well be updating it for internal use.
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tube_map_5 says they hadn't updated it after 2014, so it's probably been fully abandoned at this point. I think the only realistic way forward short of starting from scratch would be to FOIA the original design file (i.e. not PDF) and edit that.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/tube_map_5 says they hadn't updated it after 2014, so it's probably been fully abandoned at this point. I think the only realistic way forward short of starting from scratch would be to FOIA the original design file (i.e. not PDF) and edit that.
I don’t think that was ever a publicly available map. I think them naming it “London Connections” seems to have added to the confusion.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don’t think that was ever a publicly available map. I think them naming it “London Connections” seems to have added to the confusion.
I've seen the geographical map before, but didn't realise anyone called it "London Connections" which I agree is confusing as London Connections was the name given to the predecessor of the Rail & Tube Map.

stuu

Established Member
What was the geographical map produced for, if not intended for public use?

Dstock7080

Established Member
What was the geographical map produced for, if not intended for public use?
internal use.
there are also standard Tube maps with London boroughs overlaid; where depots and other facilities are located etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.