• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London - Edinburgh super off peak restriction

Status
Not open for further replies.

devon_metro

Established Member
On the return portion of an Edinburgh to London Terminals SSR, I understand restrictions (1K) apply departing Kings Cross 1459 - 1859.

http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=EDB&dest=KGX&grpd=1072&rlc=PUB&tkt=SSR

My question is, is it valid to take the 1430 to Newcastle, alight at York/Darlington/Newcastle and then join the Stirling train (1500 ex KGX which would be invalid to depart London on?). Presumably if this is not valid, waiting for a XC train would be an option, since it did not originate in London.

Alternatively, I understand there are no evening peak restrictions that apply to traveling via the West Coast? Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

robbeech

Established Member
Correct, the restriction is based upon trains times to depart London (king’s Cross) between those times. An XC would therefore be a valid connection.
Also correct about afternoon restrictions (or lack thereof) from Euston.

cuccir

Established Member
On the off chance you're travelling on Thursday this week, note that there are no restrictions under this code on northbound LNER trains for that day only, presumably to manage demand before Good Friday.

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
No problem in practice with this. I regularly get the 14:30 to Newcastle before picking up the Stirling (15:00 ex London) there. Never had an issue.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
No problem in practice with this. I regularly get the 14:30 to Newcastle before picking up the Stirling (15:00 ex London) there. Never had an issue.
Indeed. This is not considered permitted by the 1K restrictions, but it is considered permitted by online journey planners to do this with a London to Edinburgh Super Off Peak ticket.

devon_metro

Established Member
Thanks all. I'd equip myself with a print out of itinerary showing using the 1430, but I couldn't get any journey planners to return it as an option?

infobleep

Veteran Member
Thanks all. I'd equip myself with a print out of itinerary showing using the 1430, but I couldn't get any journey planners to return it as an option?
Are you using National Rail Enquiries for the itinerary or something else?

I find if going from National Rail Enquiries android app to other sites, it doesn't always pass over all the options you select or they don't honour what is passed to them.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'd definitely get an itinerary if you want to do something like this.

The electronic data allows it.

Common sense allows it.

But if staff were to apply a strict interpretation to the human readable text, without applying any common sense or checking the results of online journey planners, they may reject it and charge an excess fare.

There are perhaps one or two LNER Guards who may do something like that, but not very many.

Status
Not open for further replies.