• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Euston travel centre (and elsewhere)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Brookman’s Park station has (there’s a Geoff Marshall video on it somewhere)! . That’s the only location so far, though.
The question was about how much of the National Rail network only accepts contactless payment. Paper tickets can be used from Brookmans Park which can be purchased using any valid means of payment.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Brookman’s Park station has (there’s a Geoff Marshall video on it somewhere)! . That’s the only location so far, though.

It isn't the only station where contactless cards are accepted but not oyster, it was merely the first.

Established Member
You can buy paper tickets with cash though, presumably?

becky_rtw

I get really annoyed at Ashford, Surrey because the office is often shut at peak times and one ticket machine rarely works leaving only one and a queue of 20 people on any given morning.

Additionally, you cant buy the through London ticket on the machine, only London terminals so if I want to go to any other terminus than Vauxhall or Waterloo I need to buy a paper ticket + contactless oyster fare for the tube OR a travelcard, both of which cost more than a ticket to said terminus.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I get really annoyed at Ashford, Surrey because the office is often shut at peak times and one ticket machine rarely works leaving only one and a queue of 20 people on any given morning.

Additionally, you cant buy the through London ticket on the machine, only London terminals so if I want to go to any other terminus than Vauxhall or Waterloo I need to buy a paper ticket + contactless oyster fare for the tube OR a travelcard, both of which cost more than a ticket to said terminus.

If the ticket says London Terminals then it will be valid to Victoria (changing at Clapham) & Charing Cross/London Bridge/Cannon Street/Blackfriars/City Thameslink (via Waterloo East), hence why they won't be eaten by the barriers at Waterloo

becky_rtw

Those may well be valid although any tickets from Ashford rarely work at Vauxhall in the barriers so you have to get someone to let you out, which is also a pain, but if you need Paddington or Kings Cross you need the through ticket which the machine doesn't sell as it doesn't have those stations on, only "London terminals".

317 forever

Established Member
That seems to be how it works at Birmingham International, there is no ticket office but staff on the concourse with tablets so it isn't that far fetched.
Think at the time it was Done Virgin labelled it the 'station of the future' even back then.
I received help from a member of staff at Stoke-on-Trent who looked up a connection for me on his tablet one evening in March.

If someone buys a ticket online, can you print it off for them if they give you the code? I saw a Great Western guard do that recently. Passenger stated that the ticket machine said "go to ticket office" when he typed in his code but the ticket office wasn't open at 5 am.

Barry Doe often mentions that in Rail magazine. E.g. off peak one day travelcard allows travel from 0930, first off peak train departs at 0932. But the machines won't sell it and barriers won't let you through until 0930 so no chance of catching it.

Whilst I'm generally in favour of contactless ticketing, I agree that mobile tickets are a faff. I see loads of people hopelessly waving their phones at the reader to no avail. Same on busses. It takes longer than chucking a fist full of change into the coin bin. I won't activate my mobile ticket until I can see that I'll definitely be able to board.

At what age do children typically get bank cards these days? I expect that it's a lot younger than was the case 30 years ago.
I had something similar at Cambridge last year. I had bought an off-peak day return to Norwich valid from 8.45 and tried entering through the ticket gates in time for the 8.52 changing at (IIRC) Stowmarket (to connect with a 745 there). It was around 8.40 and the gate did not open for me. An assistant did let me through "early" in the end.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Those may well be valid although any tickets from Ashford rarely work at Vauxhall in the barriers so you have to get someone to let you out, which is also a pain, but if you need Paddington or Kings Cross you need the through ticket which the machine doesn't sell as it doesn't have those stations on, only "London terminals".
The ticket you want is probably sold by the machine but you need to enter 'Zone U12 London' or 'London Underground and DLR Zones 1-2' to get it to show.

Status
Not open for further replies.