• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Northwestern Class 730s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

221101 Voyager

Established Member
Last edited:

RealTrains07

Established Member
Last I heard. It was said the /1 would be 3+2 as they will work the local stoppers out of Euston (Tring, Milton Keynes, Northampton)

while the 16 /2 units would have 2+2 and they would primarily work on the london - birmingham services while operating some crewe services too?

Mollman

Established Member
That seemed to be the suggestion further up thread, but it doesn't make sense to me*.
So the 760/1s, with 3+2 seating, will be used on the Euston -Birmingham service fast services. With the disposal of the 350/2s, all the 350s remaining will have 2+2 seating, and one can deduce that they will be used on the other services.
And that means that longer distance passengers, Euston - Birmingham, will have 3+2 seating, and the Milton Keynes and Tring to Euston ones, 2+2.
At present, the New St - Walsall and Coventry/International - Wolverhampton are also 350s, so those services, too, if they remain 350 will be 2+2.

*Not unusual; railway management seems to live on some parallel planet with curious logic.
I was always under the impression that the /1s with 3+2 would replace 350/2s on WCML stoppers with the remaining 350s working Euston - Brum and West Mids local services.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Well, it wasn't intensional, but if you like it that's fine! :D ;)

Just found this new artists impression of the LNWR 730's

Also, just seen this a bout a new depot.
As much as I dislike the appearance of gangways (and at 110mph they must cost quite a lot in extra air resistance), I can't deny, that concept design looks pretty damn good.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
As much as I dislike the appearance of gangways (and at 110mph they must cost quite a lot in extra air resistance), I can't deny, that concept design looks pretty damn good.

Even the livery suits them - it's a bit crowded on the 20m units.

Does the depot news mean that Bletchley CS will close, as surely once the /2s are gone everything Siemens will fit into Kings Heath?

samuelmorris

Established Member

Does the depot news mean that Bletchley CS will close, as surely once the /2s are gone everything will fit into Kings Heath?
I actually quite like the LNWR livery, as it is. It's just a shame that I preferred the one that came before it. Maybe at some point someone will photoshop LM livery onto a 730 :)

221101 Voyager

Established Member
They do like rather good.

Does the depot news mean that Bletchley CS will close, as surely once the /2s are gone everything Siemens will fit into Kings Heath?
Not necessarily, I think they will still use BLY CS as a place to park up 350's and some 730s because surely all 350s (by that time there will still be /1, /3, /4 = 50 units) won't fit in to King's Heath alone, right?

Also, the LNWR website now says, that the 730's will enter service from 2022.

Our all-new electric class 730 trains are currently being manufactured in Derby by Bombardier. We are hoping that these will start to come into service during 2022.

superalbs

Established Member
I actually quite like the LNWR livery, as it is. It's just a shame that I preferred the one that came before it. Maybe at some point someone will photoshop LM livery onto a 730 :)
Wouldn't be easy, no thanks to the fact they're coming out of the factory in a rather complex colour scheme.

I'll give it a go for you.

Here it is!
1606415642971.png

Last edited:

Merle Haggard

Established Member
I was always under the impression that the /1s with 3+2 would replace 350/2s on WCML stoppers with the remaining 350s working Euston - Brum and West Mids local services.
Thank you, the use you suggest for the /1s would be entirely logical, but there was a very early post on this thread, quoting a magazine article (presumably itself based on a press release), that said that the /1s were for Euston - Birmingham services.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Thank you, the use you suggest for the /1s would be entirely logical, but there was a very early post on this thread, quoting a magazine article (presumably itself based on a press release), that said that the /1s were for Euston - Birmingham services.
I had it in my head that's what the 350/1s would move to doing, not the 730/1s but it was a long time ago, so don't take my word for it.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Remember that Euston-Brum services aren't all fast, some of them are semifasts on which 350/2s would normally be found.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Remember that Euston-Brum services aren't all fast, some of them are semifasts on which 350/2s would normally be found.

Indeed; the semi-fasts, I think, just run through for operational convenience.
In the current TT., the xx.05 semi fast from Northampton arrives Euston at x1.23. If you wait until xx.25 and change at MKC you get there 3 minutes earlier, at x1.20, so the semi fast is pointless for Northampton - Euston.
Almost incredibly, it's only 1 minute faster than catching the xx.38 Birmingham, changing at Rugby arr. x1.57!

Added by edit; and there's not even a fares advantage in using the slow train, tomorrow, a single to Euston on the 11.05 is £27, on the 11.25 and Avanti, it's a tenner!

samuelmorris

Established Member
Indeed; the semi-fasts, I think, just run through for operational convenience.
In the current TT., the xx.05 semi fast from Northampton arrives Euston at x1.23. If you wait until xx.25 and change at MKC you get there 3 minutes earlier, at x1.20, so the semi fast is pointless for Northampton - Euston.
Almost incredibly, it's only 1 minute faster than catching the xx.38 Birmingham, changing at Rugby arr. x1.57!

Added by edit; and there's not even a fares advantage in using the slow train, tomorrow, a single to Euston on the 11.05 is £27, on the 11.25 and Avanti, it's a tenner!
Oh yeah, it's one of those few areas where you can actually justify taking the slow train on business because unless you earn big bucks, the fare saving is still greater than the time lost.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh yeah, it's one of those few areas where you can actually justify taking the slow train on business because unless you earn big bucks, the fare saving is still greater than the time lost.

I find it's easier to work on a 350 than a Pendolino due to more tables and better seat spacing (other than the middle section), so it could easily win on those grounds too.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I can't see a tenner from Northampton to London tomorrow and I've tried Trainline and TPE app?

Jamesrob637

Established Member
LNWR livery looks great on these only because there was no London Midland livery on them!

LM livery suited the 350s more. Maybe a 730 will be painted in London Midland livery in the 2040s as a retro. Kind of like 91119 reminiscing on the late 80s and 90s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
LNWR livery looks great on these only because there was no London Midland livery on them!

LM livery suited the 350s more. Maybe a 730 will be painted in London Midland livery in the 2040s as a retro. Kind of like 91119 reminiscing on the late 80s and 90s.
91119 actually wore that IC livery though. 730s weren’t around in LM days.

Annoyed by 3+2 for local Tring and Milton Keynes Central runs, because they said the exact same thing for 350/2 and then mixed them all to work as a common fleet!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
But it's the other way round!
Fast train, £10; 20 minutes slower train, £27.

Presumably aimed at the market of big-bucks earners with time on their hands :D

I can't see a tenner from Northampton to London tomorrow and I've tried Trainline and TPE app?

I used NRES and assumed that the hour I chose at random was replicated through the day, but it seems I happened to hit on something odd. I haven't been able to replicate it, either.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.