• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Newcastle upon Tyne

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning, all being well I hope to be going to Newcastle upon Tyne from Shepperton via London later this year. I normally get a single from Shepperton to Waterloo and contactless to KGX & and the same in reverse, then the cheapest single from KGX to Newcastle, I was hoping for a good 1st class fare, however I have just been having a look online and the cheapest first class seems to be £ 99.00, I looked at various dates in March April or May and it all seems the same, std class is around £40-50.

£ 99.00 seems rather expensive. Am I missing something.?

The other alternative I thought of was to go on Grand Central to Sunderland who show about £ 50.00 ish, and change onto Northern to Newcastle, but there only seems to be one train an hour which seems rather sparse.

I would be coming back from York and the fares from there seem more reasonable, expecially if using the slower services which start from there.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Many thanks, Steve.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cuccir

Established Member
Yes, the majority of Sunderland to Newcastle services are on the Tyne and Wear Metro. Trains and Metros from Sunderland leave from the same platform as each other and tickets are mutually valid!

People have reported that LNER seem to offer fewer good value Advances than the previous operators, so you may be seeing an effect of this.

If you have the time, an Advance on one of the stopper services to York and then any Advance to Newcastle may well be cheaper. It can also sometimes be worth checking splits on the same train: I've saved splitting at Newark and York/Doncaster before when travelling from the North-East, without having to change trains. You can use the seat selector at LNER's website to esnure you don't have to change seats!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
£ 99.00 seems rather expensive. Am I missing something.?
I looked at early morning trains on two random days in April on Trainsplit and found 1st as advances between £57 and £63 in value mode.
The other alternative I thought of was to go on Grand Central to Sunderland who show about £ 50.00 ish, and change onto Northern to Newcastle, but there only seems to be one train an hour which seems rather sparse.
Take the Metro; it's an inter available route. All tickets that have validity on National Rail trains between these stations are valid on Metro and vice versa.

Sit at the very front or back if you want a view of the line.
I would be coming back from York and the fares from there seem more reasonable, expecially if using the slower services which start from there.
You will get two lots of food offerings if you change at York.

You can force itineraries onto York stoppers using Trainsplit by choosing somewhere like Retford as a via point and ticking the 'callong at' box. You get up to 3 via points (which can be calling at or change at points) as well as up to 3 avoid points.

E759

You can always buy standard and chance your luck for a seat frog upgrade. Buy from LNER and occasionally you'll get a email upgrade offer (fixed price). Did the 0800 Kings Cross to Newcastle last week on a through advance from Horsham with Seatfrog on top. I believe there is some sort of quota system for Seatfrog and day-of-week comes into play? Certainly not all my recent trips seem to be eligible and I'm never offered an upgrade for the return journey!

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thank you for all your tips, I shall have a play around and investigate further.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Rail tickets are valid on the Metro as well as the train (and vice versa, Metro tickets are valid on the train).

But unless you have an overwhelming desire to tick off the Durham Coast, I'd suggest splitting at York. GC to York then TPE/XC/LNER from York to Newcastle. The walk up fare is a rip off but the advance tickets are generally very good value; I recently did Newcastle-York return for £13.

Cheap tickets on LNER to London are harder to find these days though.

Bear in mind GC first class is rubbish, though. If you use the LNER all-stations to York you can often find some decent fares to York then split.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.