• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London to Norwich - 90 min timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Reports are that Greater Anglia plan to operate these services with new Class 755 electro-diesel stock, if they are ready for service in time. Note that, as per the timetable, this means no First Class accomodation is available.

jha4ceb

I thought the Class 755s were primarily intended for the local services, not the mainline?

dk1

Veteran Member
I thought the Class 755s were primarily intended for the local services, not the mainline?
They are here first and expected to be cleared for use by May/June. No local units leave the franchise until August. This idea allows the 90min commitment to happen as planned.

Trainfan344

Established Member
Will be interesting to see the performance of these services and those around them when they come into action.

Railperf

Established Member
Will be interesting to see the performance of these services and those around them when they come into action.
It will be very interesting if the 755s are not ready in time and they have to use class 90s instead!!

Railperf

Established Member
The timings are very tight indeed and it will be very interesting to say if most timings can be achieved reliably on a day-to-day basis. The preceding Braintree and Southend services cannot afford to have any hiccups on route.

RailWonderer

Established Member
Was raising the track speed in some sections to 110mph on the GEML ever an option? North of Ipswich or south of Shenfield could’ve been an idea. I guess not since the FLIRTS are standard 100mph trains. Does anyone know why this wasn’t possible?

Railperf

Established Member
Was raising the track speed in some sections to 110mph on the GEML ever an option? North of Ipswich or south of Shenfield could’ve been an idea. I guess not since the FLIRTS are standard 100mph trains. Does anyone know why this wasn’t possible?
I read somewhere that it was considered. Presumably the costs of upgrading the track signalling and overhead line equipment ruled it out. Anyway raising the maximum speed differential between the intercity trains and stopping services would reduce track capacity.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
Sheer cost of level crossing upgrades which would be prohibitive for an extra 10mph and congestion at the southern end of the route.

cle

Established Member
Would there be any point in aiming for 125mph north of Colchester, where the mixed traffic drops off a lot? Or better addressing any smaller increases/restrictions which do more proportionally?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

I guess the problem is there's not much benefit when as soon as you're at 110mph, you're braking for Stowmarket... then Diss. Etc. Etc.

GB

Established Member
Would there be any point in aiming for 125mph north of Colchester, where the mixed traffic drops off a lot?

It doesn't drop off all that much....still have all the freights etc. The only trains you lose after colchester is the Clactons and Waltons.

Established Member
Indeed. Mixed traffic doesn't drop off until North of Haughley Jn. The Ipswich - Haughley section is busier than perhaps perceived.

dk1

Veteran Member
Indeed. Mixed traffic doesn't drop off until North of Haughley Jn. The Ipswich - Haughley section is busier than perhaps perceived.
And beyond that has 12 sets of AHBs that would need upgrading at the cost of £millions & that's before OHL & track upgrading.

Established Member
The timings are very tight indeed and it will be very interesting to say if most timings can be achieved reliably on a day-to-day basis. The preceding Braintree and Southend services cannot afford to have any hiccups on route.

That is precisely the issue. Cynics would suggest this is political expediency over operational practicality.

cambsy

On Moderation
Looking at Real Time Trains, the 90 minute London-Norwich trains have the proceeding London-Norwich train arriving only 3 minutes ahead of it at Norwich, which is another train which cant have any issues or will hold it up too, the 90 minute trains have 6 mins of various recovery built in so potentially could be done in 84 mins, it will be interesting to see if it ever does it in 84 mins?

cambsy

On Moderation
I have just booked advance tickets for the 20th May, on the 11.00 London-Norwich and 17.00 Norwich-London, to see what the service is like and how it runs? I know it risky and could well go wonky on the day but for 20 return its worth the punt, i noticed one thing and worth noting if anyone else going for this train, there are no allocated reserved seats on these trains, so looks like free for all, the inside looks nice and smart from YouTube videos I’ve seen, i wouldn’t be surprised if there bit of fanfare and maybe some top bods on the service, could be fun.

In the long term then is it not the plan to run some 755's to liv st on Gt Yarm or Lowestoft through trains

Railperf

Established Member
What is the betting that on the very first day this will be operated by a class 90?

Railperf

Established Member
Does anyone know whether there will be a press launch in advance of this first day?

Railperf

Established Member
Strong possibility & contingency plan in place. Have to see how it goes.
What is the contingency - a Class 90 pulling a shortened rake of 5 or 6 mk 3s? Or better still top and tail 90s?

dk1

Veteran Member
What is the contingency - a Class 90 pulling a shortened rake of 5 or 6 mk 3s? Or better still top and tail 90s?
No point in top/tail 90 as would still need the DVT. Possibly a shorter set as would still need the other IC rakes in traffic. Timing trials have taken place.

VT 390

Established Member
In the long term then is it not the plan to run some 755's to liv st on Gt Yarm or Lowestoft through trains

Lowestoft via the East Suffolk only.

How many coaches will operate on these services?. Will they split/join on route as 3 or 4 coaches seams about right from Ipswich to Lowestoft but not enough going in to Liverpool Street.

dk1

Veteran Member
How many coaches will operate on these services?. Will they split/join on route as 3 or 4 coaches seams about right from Ipswich to Lowestoft but not enough going in to Liverpool Street.
No diagramming details for these or many of the future timetables have been released yet. Not expected to start before May 2020 so anything could change in the next year or so.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Looking at Real Time Trains, the 90 minute London-Norwich trains have the proceeding London-Norwich train arriving only 3 minutes ahead of it at Norwich, which is another train which cant have any issues or will hold it up too, the 90 minute trains have 6 mins of various recovery built in so potentially could be done in 84 mins, it will be interesting to see if it ever does it in 84 mins?
Depends how much is before Ipswich, it will sit waiting time if there is a load before there.

Status
Not open for further replies.