• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Trip Planning - Your Help + Tips Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

delorean1984

Hey Everyone

I'm new to the group although do read a lot of the threads but thought I'd post this time.

I'm planning trip to London after for some spotting after having a 20 year break.

Can anyone suggest decent stations to visit? Or any recommendations?

I use to remember Clapham Junction, London Bridge, Ealing Broadway all being very good but this information might be a bit out of date.

Thank you all

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

delorean1984

Welcome. What are your particular interests - units, intercity, freight?

Thank you

Probably all 3 of them, if I can get a good mix of them in the day I will be happy. It's been long time since being down in London spotting so got big gaps in freight, units and IC. Any location suggestions would be greatly appreciated

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Clapham Junction is fantastic for units, I recommend platforms 9/10 and 13/14.

Bethnal Green is also a good shout for the Liverpool Street lines.

Bevan Price

Established Member
A one day travelcard might be useful so that you can visit several stations in the day -- it would be a lot cheaper than buying single tickets between each station. It will also help you to move to an adjacent station if you have the misfortune to encounter one of the few "jobsworths" who does not like enthusiasts. Remember to stand well clear of platform edges - behind yellow lines if present, and do not use tripods in areas where they might be trip hazards for lots of passengers.

Stratford is also OK for freight , although you then miss the units leaving the main line at Bethnal Green.

You will be better waiting until daylight gets longer in spring, rather than going in late autumn or winter. It can be difficult identifying numbers of moving trains at night.

Peter C

Established Member
If you're interested in seeing trains but not in a station, the DLR - the section which runs into Tower Gateway and therefore along the mainline into Fenchurch Street (I believe) - is quite nice.
I've also heard that Clapham Junction is good, and I suppose somewhere like Vauxhall could be good if you want to see the trains heading into and out of Waterloo?
In a similar vein to my first idea, the London Underground runs alongside the GWML out of Paddington for a short while, so stations along there (e.g. Royal Oak) could be good for GWR units.

Hope this helps,

-Peter

delorean1984

Clapham Junction is fantastic for units, I recommend platforms 9/10 and 13/14.

Bethnal Green is also a good shout for the Liverpool Street lines.

Thank you, cheers for tip on the platforms at Clapham. Do you tend to sign in at most of the bigger stations or not bother?

Not thought of Bethnal Green, I'll check that out as never really got many out of Liverpool Street even years ago.

I forgot to mention that I'll be coming into KGX as my starting point.

A one day travelcard might be useful so that you can visit several stations in the day -- it would be a lot cheaper than buying single tickets between each station. It will also help you to move to an adjacent station if you have the misfortune to encounter one of the few "jobsworths" who does not like enthusiasts. Remember to stand well clear of platform edges - behind yellow lines if present, and do not use tripods in areas where they might be trip hazards for lots of passengers.

Stratford is also OK for freight , although you then miss the units leaving the main line at Bethnal Green.

You will be better waiting until daylight gets longer in spring, rather than going in late autumn or winter. It can be difficult identifying numbers of moving trains at night.

Cheers for the tips. Yeah won't be using tripod or anything, will have my camera with me probably but I'm more interested in just spotting. Would you say Liverpool Street over Bethnal Green?

Yeah that's a fair point about the daylight hours, I'll bare that in mind. Probably won't stay late on this first trip but for subsequent trips I'll bare that in mind.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Thank you, cheers for tip on the platforms at Clapham. Do you tend to sign in at most of the bigger stations or not bother?

Not thought of Bethnal Green, I'll check that out as never really got many out of Liverpool Street even years ago.

I forgot to mention that I'll be coming into KGX as my starting point.

I tend to use Oyster and I just stay at Clapham Junction within 20 minutes before the maximum journey time (think about 2 hours).

Western Sunset

Established Member
I'd always go for a Zone 1-6 Travelcard, as that gives you total flexibility and you don't need to bother about tapping in and out.

Haven't been since before Lockdown began, so don't know current situation. However, good spots are Stratford, South Kenton and Wandsworth Road, as well as Paddington and KX.

Established Member

Cheers for the tips. Yeah won't be using tripod or anything, will have my camera with me probably but I'm more interested in just spotting. Would you say Liverpool Street over Bethnal Green?

Might be academic if we‘re locked in again, but for future reference Liverpool St is not advisable. Security aside, the station is divided in two and spotting there would be like visiting a dungeon. Bethnal Green is out in the fresh air and is where you spot other spotters. Stratford is OK, you lose the Cambridge Main Line stuff you would see at Bethnal Green, but gain freight, the North London Line and the Stratford - Bishops Stortford service.

delorean1984

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will plan an itinerary shortly but certainly some interesting stations that I have not been too when I was younger.

Please keep them coming if you have any other suggestions or recommendations.

Trip will probably be in the new year so plenty of time to plan.

pieguyrob

If you go to London Bridge, you have to sign in with security. They don't mind you spotting, so long as you sign in first at the security office.

Zone 1-6 card is definitely the best bet.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
If you go to London Bridge, you have to sign in with security. They don't mind you spotting, so long as you sign in first at the security office.

Zone 1-6 card is definitely the best bet.

You might have issues after tomorrow ( Tuesday ); London has been moved up into Tier 3 from Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.