• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

London Victoria - how many trains per hour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know how many trains per hour London Victorian handles (pre-covid) and how it splits between the mainlines that flow in to it?

I was looking the other day, but could only see the reduced timetable. This question came to mind as I was discussing with someone about how highly utilised the large Northern city terminus stations could be (principally Piccadilly and Lime Street) relative to their size, if infrastructure improvements away from the station took place (i.e. station throat and the lines feeding in).

Cheers

Purple Orange

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Kent (All routes): 15tph peak, 11tph off-peak
Sussex (Slow Line): 14tph peak, 10tph off-peak
Sussex (Fast Line): 16tph peak, 14tph off-peak

Veteran Member
Thanks. Does that include the metro services within Greater London?
Yes, it does. Kent and Sussex are railspeak for the two halves of the station (Chatham and Brighton in the olden days).

PS Charing Cross with 6 platforms and Cannon Street with 7 were/are busier than the Kent side of Victoria.

Veteran Member
Thanks. The frequencies are not as high as I’d assumed.
They were a little bit higher in the past - I would guess at 18tph on the Kent and the Sussex slows, which is what Waterloo-Raynes Park in the peak was pre Covid, and is probably the limit for an all-stations operation on double track (Thameslink excepted).

Ianno87

Veteran Member
They were a little bit higher in the past - I would guess at 18tph on the Kent and the Sussex slows, which is what Waterloo-Raynes Park in the peak was pre Covid, and is probably the limit for an all-stations operation on double track (Thameslink excepted).

Only reduction in recent years was the Sussex slows which reduced by (off memory) 2tph in May 2018.

Veteran Member
Only reduction in recent years was the Sussex slows which reduced by (off memory) 2tph in May 2018.
My past is a lot further back :) - to the 4SUB era when the South London Line had to turn at Battersea Park in the peaks because there was no room at the inn at Vic.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
On the Kent for off-peak I think its:

2tph Dartford
4tph Orpington / Bromley South (alternating)
2tph Ramsgate
2tph Ashford Int'l
1tph Gillingham via Denmark Hill

Add in additional Maidstone terminators, Dartford and Sheerness services in the peak.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Victoria Eastern itself could probably have more trains an hour running out of it, issue would be where to send them but in terms of paths out of Victoria its certainly possible.

Halish Railway

Established Member
My suggestion for looking at pre-COVID frequencies would be to find a version of a TOC’s Wikipedia page by going on ‘view history’ and finding an edit from around mid-March 2020. Then you’ll be able to see a comprehensive list of services.

big all

On Moderation
My past is a lot further back :) - to the 4SUB era when the South London Line had to turn at Battersea Park in the peaks because there was no room at the inn at Vic.
Yes indeed there was only perhaps 3 or 4 services a day but of course that's 6- 8 trains including in and out. I was at Coulsdon North 76-79 and we certainly had one of those turns with an unusual perhaps 9 or 10 mins change end, enough to explore the station over the the more normal 3 mins change ends at Victoria :D

cle

Established Member
One Dover calls Denmark Hill, as opposed to the Gillingham (I thought).

It definitely is by far the quieter side. Brighton and Gatwick of course being heavier off and counter peak destinations - nothing comparable on that side since the boat traffic died.

Metro services are better over the years. The upping of the Herne Hill slows to 4tph, and the creeping up of the Dartford (now Gravesend) service to evening and weekend service. This line is potentially going to add 2tph to Hayes via Nunhead, so would be even more on the metro side.

But the Kent Coast side is a shell of itself.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
My suggestion for looking at pre-COVID frequencies would be to find a version of a TOC’s Wikipedia page by going on ‘view history’ and finding an edit from around mid-March 2020. Then you’ll be able to see a comprehensive list of services.

Oh I never knew you could do that! Thanks

cle

Established Member
The current Gravesend via Denmark hill used to go to Dover.

The other Dover was a portion of a Ramsgate if I remember correctly ?
Isn't Gravesend just an extension of the long-standing Victoria-Dartfords?

The Denmark Hill-calling Dover is an extended Medway service which is very slow, rather than the prime Dover service which went via Herne Hill to Bromley.

jfisher21

You are right, I meant Victoria - Gillingham not Gravesend!

Actually it seems to be running back to Dover today off peak. Calling at Denmark Hill, Bromley South, St Mary Cray then every stop to Dover. A very slow ride and the only Victoria - Dover train offpeak.

Status
Not open for further replies.