• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Loneliest place on the network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ess

Where is the loneliest place for a passenger to be on the network and when? I don't mean the most remote, but somewhere that 'feels' so remote it might as well be.
So somewhere that often gets filled with fog and there's a single red lamp in the distance or something..

(ps - no idea why i just thought of that)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
Wakefield Kirkgate (not that I have ever (dared be!) on the platform later than about 3 in the afternoon!)?

tsr

Established Member
Swale, Longcross, Doleham (maybe)... and those are just the ones I can think of in the South-East!

However, realistically, it's got to be somewhere in rural Wales or Scotland, I should think. Not only would that feel remote, but it stands a good chance of actually being pretty isolated in reality as well!

tel

Berney Arms, just the birds for company and virtually no trains and in the winter about the coldest place on the planet.

Tel

Darren R

Established Member
Ribblehead station after it's gone dark in the middle of winter - nothing for miles around. Same for Dent come to think of it!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Ribblehead station after it's gone dark in the middle of winter - nothing for miles around.

Very atmospheric. Just the pitch black of the mountain in front of you and the stars above. Might just see the light from a car along the main road. Or look back and see the staggered lines of platform lights receding into the darkness. Not a sound except the wind in your ears, until you make out a faint rumbling of the train in the distance emerging from Blea Moor tunnel.

tsr

Established Member
If we were to expand this to find the loneliest station ever to see standard-gauge traffic (albeit in this case by a slightly convoluted method of using flatbed narrow-gauge wagons to carry standard-gauge vehicles), I would vote for Thor's Cave station on the Leek & Manifold Valley Light Railway. That trackbed is genuinely a lonely, spooky place on a quiet evening, and must equally have been so in 1933, just before the railway closed, whilst awaiting the last train. Just the sound of the river and the odd distant farm vehicle - perhaps.

nicobobinus

Swale after dark must be a pretty good contender, especially when the estuary fog rolls in. You have the rumble of road traffic to keep you company, though.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Not a place you're likely to find passengers (or indeed people!) milling about but the line and area around Whittlestone Head and Turton near Entwistle are very lonely spots - hard to believe that the sizable conurbations of Bolton and Blackburn / Darwen are just a handful of miles either way.

Out around Shap can also feel lonely too, even in broad daylight.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Wakefield Kirkgate (not that I have ever (dared be!) on the platform later than about 3 in the afternoon!)?

Kirkgate is lovely at night when it is all lit up. Like in a Roman castle ruin if you like. I have a picture somewhere that proves it. ;)

Now that they have removed the original lights and revamped the station, I'm not so sure.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
I may be doing it an injustice, as I only passed through rather than visiting, but Battlesbridge on the Southminster branch seemed a tad remote.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Doleham is one of those places I'd make extra sure not to miss my train from. Always seemed a bit spooky passing it on the last 171 of the night.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Considering their usage statistics, Denby Dale (0.137 million in 2010-11) and Slaithwaite (Slawit) (0.207 million in 2010-11) seemed pretty desolate and foreboding at times this winter just gone...

Not been to Wakey Kakey since they 'polished' it:lol:, will have to arrange a DayRover day to check it out!

Temple Meads

Established Member
In my experience the loneliest places aren't the obvious ones such as Sugar Loaf, but large stations at night, or other times when hardly anyone is there.

34D

Established Member
I was at Pontefract Baghill in Dec complete with fog. Only me around.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Carstairs gives me the creeps and must be the most dire place in Scotland.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.