• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Long distance vs short distance services and boarding

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
Following on from this thread, maybe I'm odd but I do different things depending on what TOC I use.

For example, on Southern services even though London Victoria to Brighton might be considered "long distance", I just board only a few minutes before departure.

Elsewhere, on GWR services from Paddington to the west country or Avanti services from Euston to the North, I usually make sure I'm there 15-20 minutes before departure. I'm just nervous especially if it's an "intercity" train to make sure I board early for some reason.

Oddly, out of force of habit, if I'm taking a commuter service to Slough I still arrive early!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

greyman42

Established Member
I think regular travellers are more likely to board later whether short or long distances are being travelled. Frequency of service, type of ticket and the reason for your journey will also be factors.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
I judge it on whether I have a seat or not, but this only applies to people travelling from the start of the journey.

Ken H

On Moderation
I think regular travellers are more likely to board later whether short or long distances are being travelled. Frequency of service, type of ticket and the reason for your journey will also be factors.
When I was flying frequently to Europe I cut airport time by arriving later. I suspect frequent train travellers do that with trains, while occasional travellers arrive early. Train specific tickets probably make people arrive at the station early.

Status
Not open for further replies.