• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest (Current) Heritage Train Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterblue

A simple question, I presume, but one I am unsure of the answer to. What is the longest current heritage steam/diesel train service still running in the UK? By track length.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I could be wrong as I have not done extensive research but the Jacobite (steam) and that Rail Charter Service Staycation Express, between Skipton, & Appleby must be the longest if you allow services on Network rail.

DB

Do you mean heritage railways? If so I believe it's the North York Moors followed by the West Somerset.

topydre

Do you mean heritage railways? If so I believe it's the North York Moors followed by the West Somerset.

I believe the Welsh Highland is the longest heritage railway at 25 miles.

If we're talking steam services in general, I assume the Jacobite would be the longest

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Trains can run through from Caernarfon to Blaenau so the WHR+FR might be the longest by track miles, also by travelling time

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Skipton -> Appleby via Hellifield is 56 miles.

Mallaig Extension (Jacobite Steam) (Fort William -> Mallaig) about 39 and a half miles.

West Highland Railway (Caernarfon -> Porthmadog) just under 25 miles. A further 13 and a half miles from Porthmadog up to Blaenau Ffestiniog, but maybe that's a separate service.

North Yorkshire Moors Railway (Pickering -> Whitby) just over 24 miles.

West Somerset Railway (Minehead -> Norton Fitzwarren) is around 22 and a half miles.

Veteran Member
West Highland Railway (Caernarfon -> Porthmadog) just under 25 miles. A further 13 and a half miles from Porthmadog up to Blaenau Ffestiniog, but maybe that's a separate service.
Called the Festiniog Railway and runs its service separate, so not much maybe :)

I believe the WSR isn't running ATM?

Tim M

The Welsh Highland Railway is currently running from Caernarfon to Beddgelert (16 3/4 miles) with one round trip a day giving time for tourists to visit one of the best destinations in Snowdonia. Note this is not a seven day a week operation.

The Ffestiniog Railway is currently running six trains a day seven days a week from Porthmadog to Tan-y-Bwlch (7 1/2 miles) using smaller locos and heritage carriages. An hour is allowed at Tan-y-Bwlch to visit the cafe or take one of the many walks in the area. Using heritage carriages means it’s easier to provide social distancing with separate compartments, with additional compartment partitions to maximise capacity.

Details including compulsory pre booking of tickets at www.festrail.co.uk.

Taunton

Established Member
West Somerset Railway (Minehead -> Norton Fitzwarren) is around 22 and a half miles.
The West Somerset has sadly not run at all this year, or been maintained. Driving across the level crossing at Blue Anchor a few days ago it was all rusty rails and weeds.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I believe the WSR isn't running ATM?
Don't think so, although it's outwith my local area. Believe maybe some museum days at Minehead this BH weekend, and that's it!
The West Somerset has sadly not run at all this year, or been maintained. Driving across the level crossing at Blue Anchor a few days ago it was all rusty rails and weeds.
Disappointing but understandable. :|

Last edited:

DelW

Established Member
Disappointing but understandable. :|
Despite appearances, there has been work undertaken since the easing of lockdown - as described in the WSR newsletter. A couple of examples:

Weeding team fighting back at Bishops Lydeard Station
WSR

Bishops Lydeard Station is now clear of weeds thanks to a fine effort by one of the weeding teams led by Lee Robbins on Saturday 8 August 2020. The track was cleared through the Station up as far as the Gauge Museum pointwork, and through Bishops Lydeard Bridge to the pointwork the other way, joining the already cleared section towards Whiskey Trail Crossing. Shirl Turner has put out a request for anyone with a PTS certificate to come and lead further teams to help complete the work. There is also to be a 'Management Board team weed' which just shows how everyone can muck in and support each other.
10 August 2020
Details kindly provided by the Weeding Teams

The versatile WSR Signal and Telegraph Team
WSR

The Signal and Telegraph Team (S&T) have been busy since the beginning of July maintaining S&T electrical and mechanical equipment throughout the Railway and testing track circuits and facing point locks. But as well as electrical and mechanical work, S&T are also painters and decorators! Over recent weeks the four crossing gates at Blue Anchor have been thoroughly cleaned, sanded, undercoated and repainted by the gang.
10 August 2020
Details kindly provided by the Signal and Telegraph Team

More information is on this link:
from which those examples were taken.

Taunton

Established Member
Thank you.

One does wonder how, in the 20 days between that photo and me driving over that very crossing, the weeds managed to get such a hold.

Veteran Member
Thank you.

One does wonder how, in the 20 days between that photo and me driving over that very crossing, the weeds managed to get such a hold.
Same reason as they've got a hold in my garden - hot and damp weather :)

Shenandoah

Thank you.

I think you are not the only person to wonder about that. But on another place it was claimed as not being needed to be done again for some while, maybe well into 2021! Mother Nature knows better.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Hi all, I’m sure this comes up regularly but can anyone help with a list of the longest heritage lines in terms of mileage, and also the longest heritage lines south of the M4 corridor please?

SeanG

Steam Railway Magazine has at the rear a list of all operating heritage railways, with mileage and other details which may prove useful to you.

Longest line south of the M4 corridor will be the West Somerset Railway as noted above

philthetube

Established Member
If you scale up the Romney Hythe and Dymchurch you end up with 40.5 miles, I suppose that is cheating though. :D

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I got a bit confused, the Watercress Line website showed a picture of 'Bahamas' (just visiting) with Cross Fell in the background, that would be 250 miles plus ;)

Ploughman

Established Member
I could be wrong as I have not done extensive research but the Jacobite (steam) and that Rail Charter Service Staycation Express, between Skipton, & Appleby must be the longest if you allow services on Network rail.
If on Network tracks, then the longest service must be the GB Railtours usually running once a year over approx 9 days.
Featuring various locos and a varying route but basically up one side of the country, say Kings Cross - Aberdeen.
Mallaig or Kyle, Glasgow - Bristol - Penzance - Waterloo overnighting in various hotels.
No idea what the mileage would be and the cost is a bit high.

Next years tour is https://www.railwaytouring.net/the-great-britain-2021

Status
Not open for further replies.