• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Longest line of sight (UK)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I do like when you are approaching Edinburgh from the West, you get a view of the Three Bridges from the Winchburgh area and from Midcalder on the Shotts Line.

Then of course in the Glasgow area, up towards Cathkin you get a nice view of the city skyline in the distance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Does this seem plausible?

The Mourne Mountains are clearly visible from The Sound at the south of the island (my photo, from a cameraphone, showing the sunset and the distant Mourne Mountains).20200730_210105.jpg

So yes, I think he's right, I think he can see Ireland, just the Mourne Mountains are in the North not the South.

I think the sightlines from his vantage point just work that South Barrule and Cronk ny Arrey Laa don't block the view.

It's been a good day for long-range visibility, I was out playing with my new camera at Douglas Head this afternoon.20200830153534_IMG_0243.JPG20200830152517_IMG_0236.JPG20200830152324_IMG_0232.JPG

(Photos are of the Lake District- I think Scafell Pike, Duddan Sands wind farm, and the Navion Oslo tanker about 25 miles off the south coast of the island).

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
To see the Wicklow hills/mountains (south of Dublin) from England I think you would have to be high up on the Bowland fells on a very clear day. From the parking area on Sheephouse Lane, Anglesey gets in the way, as alluded to.

Further north in the Republic, Slieve Foye touches 2000" so if the Mourne hills are visible, then that could also be visible. Only from bot the Bowland Fells and the West Pennines, all other decent high spots are blocked by the Isle of Man.

I've just been up to that spot on Sheephouse Lane, Rivington/Bolton and really clear views of the Great Orme and Snowdonia, and the Isle of Man behind Blackpool Tower. No sign of the Republic though!P1290045.jpgP1290050.jpgP1290057.jpgP1290061.jpg

Last edited:

FJM

Although the theoretical longest line of site in the UK is Snowdon to Merrick, at 144 miles, it is quite difficult to photograph due to a number of conditions needing to be right.

But I have to say that the photograph of Snowdon taken from Bleaklow Head in Derbyshire at a distance of 96 miles is one of the best line-of-site photos I've seen on this subject. Link here: http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/329077

The longest line of site that I've seen myself (although not photographed) is possibly the Isle of Man from Amlwch on Anglesey earlier this year (seen from sea level). I've also seen the Isle of Man from the top of Blackpool Tower.

Stood on top of Winter Hill I've seen Blackpool Tower in one direction and Mow Cop in the other direction.

And I've also seen the Wirral from the Cat & Fiddle near Buxton.

A good source of what can be seen from where is Viewfinder Panoramas: http://viewfinderpanoramas.org/panoramas.html#england

Anyone else got their own longest lines of site?
In May 2003, I visited Malin Head (northern most tip of Ireland) on a bright, sunny day, clear sky, excellent visibility. Seeing mountains to the NW, I took a compass bearing and verified it later as Ben More, on Mull, 90 miles distant.

That's interesting you should mention that because I've heard that Portland Bill can be seen from St Catherine's Oratory on the Isle of Wight. Looking at the map, that might be possible as it looks the same distance as Brixham does from Portland Bill.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Brilliant, isn't it?! One of the few websites in recent years that was a joy to find.
Beachy Head from St Boniface Down on IoW, 60 miles away. Portland Bill clearly visible to the West.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
No sign of the Republic though!

In the far left of your top (first) photo, it looks like the silhouette of the Mourne Mountains to me. Not the Republic- the Mourne Mountains are in the north, of course- but still Ireland.

Gorgeous photos btw

Howardh

Established Member
In the far left of your top (first) photo, it looks like the silhouette of the Mourne Mountains to me. Not the Republic- the Mourne Mountains are in the north, of course- but still Ireland.
Possibly, although I doubt it, just not clear enough and it would have to be south of the IOM.
It's 90 miles to the Isle of Man from that spot. The nearest coastline of Ireland is 140 miles, and the hills south of Dublin 153 miles. The viewpoint is just under 900'.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Possibly, although I doubt it, just not clear enough and it would have to be south of the IOM.

I've looked again, a straight line from Chorley to the Mourne Mountains takes you just south of the Calf of Man. I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it, but they do look like the Mourne Mountains, too big to be the Calf of Man and the spike slightly to the right looks like Cronk ny Arrey Laa on the island.

The nearest coastline of Ireland is 140 miles, and the hills south of Dublin 153 miles.

No, it won't be the Wicklow Mountains, not from there, but the Mourne Mountains are further north, near Newcastle.
Screenshot_20200830-213847_Earth.jpg
It's been a glorious day for long distance views, I was down south at an event today and from the hills above Ballasalla (only about 300') I could see Snowdonia and Great Orme as clearly as though they were in the next street.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
Can anyone identify the tall building underneath what I think is the Calf of Man? If that can be identified and noted on a map, the line from the viewpoint past that building will settle it!

Woah...hold the front page. I've just had a closer look at my snaps -
P1290038 - Copy - Copy.JPG

What is that?? It's nowhere near the Isle of Man, it's either an upside-down huge ship, the Irish Sea Monster...or...could it be??? It's just about in the right area - direct line from Sheephouse lane just past the Orme...have I got a pic of the Republic from England and I never knew? Is it a mountain to the south of Dublin poling it's head out?? What else could it be?? Or am I gonna be disappointed and that's the highest point in Anglesey?? Feel it's the latter, the object is way too clear for such a distance, although if the Irish mountain is higher than Anglesey I suppose...but if it WERE Anglesey, there should be another point equally high visible.

The pic has been in no way edited save for the arrow.

Last edited:

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Can anyone identify the tall building underneath what I think is the Calf of Man? If that can be identified and noted on a map, the line from the viewpoint past that building will settle it!

I think you might be right about the Calf of Man, the tall building looks like it might be the White Church in Ansdell.

But yes, the lump on your other photo seems to match the one claimed on Twitter.

Howardh

Established Member
I think you might be right about the Calf of Man, the tall building looks like it might be the White Church in Ansdell.

But yes, the lump on your other photo seems to match the one claimed on Twitter.
If it is indeed the Wicklow hills, then they reach 2400', but Anglesey IS in the way, so the whole of Anglesey would have to be below the horizon including it's highest points. It's plausable, but I can't see how it could be, yet I can't explain why I can't see both of Anglesey's high points, only one.

Calthrop

Established Member
Further north in the Republic, Slieve Foye touches 2000"...

The folllowing, just incidental -- but; though I flatter myself that I have a fair (theoretical) knowledge of Ireland, I had never encountered the name Slieve Foye or Foy. Googling revealed that it is alternatively called Carlingford Mountain -- on that peninsula in County Louth, just south of the border, well known to me from the map. These Forums are often very educational !

Howardh

Established Member
Just an addition; I've had an explanation as to why I can only see one hill top r/e Anglesey rather than two (the OS has two hills, close together at almost equal height) as Holyhead Mountain at 720' is further away but the summit is higher than the two nearer summits, so could be looking at the very top of that. That is appx 91 miles from my viewpoint.
On a clear day from Holyhead Mountain, Ireland can be seen 60 miles away according to Wikipedia.

MacCookie

If I've got this right, Winter Hill is the hill to the south of the viewpoint. If so, you can't see Ireland.

If you increase your altitude to 600m above ground level Slieve Donard pops into view to the left of the Isle of Man. But even at 1000m above ground level I can't see the Republic of Ireland popping up over the horizon.

To answer the question, is there a line of sight from the Republic of Ireland to England, the answer is yes.

From Slieve Foy you can just pick out Grasmoor, High Stile and Pillar in the Lake District.

The view from Lugnaquilla, the highest point in the Wicklow Mountains, doesn't extend across Wales to England.

Cheers,
Ewan

Last edited:

Gonzoiku

You all may be interested to check www.heywhatsthat.com and in particular, the "visibility cloak" feature which I have found invaluable in identifying what I can (sometimes) see from the front gate. Record so far is Morven Hill in Caithness, a mere 50 miles distant (but I don't have to travel!).

GZ

eMeS

Thanks to all above for giving links to viewing applications etc. Fascinating stuff, and most useful.

I'm based in Milton Keynes, and I'm wondering what's visible to the east from Sharpenhoe Clappers? It's not that far away, and easily visited. Or from Dunstable Downs, looking to the north-west and north?
I know the locals say that the nearest high ground eastwards from the Luton area is The Urals in Russia, but what about stuff that a bit more local? Cambridge University library tower?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Thanks to all above for giving links to viewing applications etc. Fascinating stuff, and most useful.

I'm based in Milton Keynes, and I'm wondering what's visible to the east from Sharpenhoe Clappers? It's not that far away, and easily visited. Or from Dunstable Downs, looking to the north-west and north?
I know the locals say that the nearest high ground eastwards from the Luton area is The Urals in Russia, but what about stuff that a bit more local? Cambridge University library tower?

From Dunstable Downs looking north and west it’s basically gently rolling countryside. You can see the lift tower in Northampton, and the eastern Cotswolds, but that’s about it of interest.

Howardh

Established Member
Wonder where the furthest inland you can be to see France?

Gonzoiku

From Sharpenhoe, the heywhatsthat link I provided suggests that due east, you could see almost to the eastern border ... of Hertfordshire! But if you rephrase your query to "what is the easternmost point visible?" then it's a whole 'nother ball game - Newmarket!

GZ

eMeS

From Sharpenhoe, the heywhatsthat link I provided suggests that due east, you could see almost to the eastern border ... of Hertfordshire! But if you rephrase your query to "what is the easternmost point visible?" then it's a whole 'nother ball game - Newmarket!

GZ
Many thanks for the link, and your hints.
Newmarket is further than Cambridge, so perhaps I might be able to make out the University library tower.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Many thanks for the link, and your hints.
Newmarket is further than Cambridge, so perhaps I might be able to make out the University library tower.

The Addenbrooke's hospital chimney ought to be more visible.

Gonzoiku

Hey What's That thinks otherwise - no building in Cambridge is visible, not even Addenbrookes. See the Visibility Cloak attached, which suggest that the closest visible point to Cambridge (and Addenbrookes) is the "View Point Over Cambridge" on Limekiln Rd. Now, why would that be??

The view of Cambridge is blocked by the terrain between Sandy and Arrington.

GZ

Attachments

• HWT.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19

Altrincham

Is that the church of St Anne’s at St Anne’s-on-Sea?

Woah...hold the front page. I've just had a closer look at my snaps -
View attachment 82947

What is that?? It's nowhere near the Isle of Man, it's either an upside-down huge ship, the Irish Sea Monster...or...could it be??? It's just about in the right area - direct line from Sheephouse lane just past the Orme...have I got a pic of the Republic from England and I never knew? Is it a mountain to the south of Dublin poling it's head out?? What else could it be?? Or am I gonna be disappointed and that's the highest point in Anglesey?? Feel it's the latter, the object is way too clear for such a distance, although if the Irish mountain is higher than Anglesey I suppose...but if it WERE Anglesey, there should be another point equally high visible.

The pic has been in no way edited save for the arrow.

Good grief, that is an incredible photo. I think you’ve captured something that I didn’t think was possible - seeing Anglesey from the proximity of Winter Hill.

According to Viewfinder Panoramas for Winter Hill, I think you have captured Mynydd Bodafon (based on the scale of Little Orme and Great Orme).

The fact that Bwrdd Arthur isn’t visible directly to the right of the Great Orme makes me think that there was some form of temperature inversion going on.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
Wonder where the furthest inland you can be to see France?

You can see France from about here. According to the Google measuring device it's about two miles inland.