• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Looking for pre-1970 timetables of now disused railway lines in North Yorkshire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
I'm looking for some train times for the historical railways in North Yorkshire that ceased operating during the beaching period before 1970.

So far I found a restaurant on the outskirts of Scarborough has a rail departure timetable for Scarborough on their wall from around summer 1961. It has trains leaving Scarborough along the Whitby line through Ravenscar. I found out some services continued onto the Esk Valley Line beyond Whitby.

I used to have a book about the Scarborough to Whitby Line, showing the first ever timetable in 1885.

I would like to see timetables for other lines, such as Scarborough to Pickering, Malton to Whitby, Malton to Thirsk, Malton to Driffield and many more that don't exist any more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Have you checked whether the relevant local library has any national timetable books in store or in its reference section? There was a time when such things got hoarded rather than binned

John Webb

Established Member
There are a number of books by Martin Bairstow covering the history of railways in Yorkshire. He's done at least 3 volumes on "Railways around Harrogate" and one or more on "Railways around Whitby". Besides the history of the lines they often include timetable extracts or other information on the former train services.

WesternLancer

Established Member
I'm looking for some train times for the historical railways in North Yorkshire that ceased operating during the beaching period before 1970.

So far I found a restaurant on the outskirts of Scarborough has a rail departure timetable for Scarborough on their wall from around summer 1961. It has trains leaving Scarborough along the Whitby line through Ravenscar. I found out some services continued onto the Esk Valley Line beyond Whitby.

I used to have a book about the Scarborough to Whitby Line, showing the first ever timetable in 1885.

I would like to see timetables for other lines, such as Scarborough to Pickering, Malton to Whitby, Malton to Thirsk, Malton to Driffield and many more that don't exist any more.

Depends if you have £ to spend and these things can be worth spending on for interest value - BR north eastern region 1964 timetable for sale here, but you might want a slightly older one. I seem to recall the NERegion were quite enthusiastic route closure advocates well before Beaching got involved...
https://www.roberthummbooks.co.uk/acatalog/Time_Tables__BR.html

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
I never knew that there were through trains from Scarborough to Whitby only stopping at Robin Hoods Bay in the summer.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
Does anybody know what happened to the Ribble Valley Rail historical site? They had an excellent selection of old timetables and I had their site bookmarked but when I tried to get in a couple of weeks ago it came up as "server not found". I left it for a while in case it was down for maintenance or whatever but it is still down :(

http://www.ribblevalleyrail.co.uk/Old Timetables.htm#WestMidlands

The only website on Ribble Valley Railway that I can find is this.
www.ribblesteam.org.uk

markindurham

The North Eastern Railway Association ( https://ner.org.uk/ ) has some timetables, but a visit to the Ken Hoole Study facility at Head of Steam, Darlington, might be a good place. Apologies; I don't have contact details to hand, but a call to Head of Steam would probably get you details of how to organise a visit.

Mark

Edit:-
Try here for Head of Steam :) https://www.head-of-steam.co.uk/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.