• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

stevenedin

Apologies if this has been covered before but why are 841-850 still in service (originally 57 plates) when a fair number of newer vehicles have been sold already?
I’m assuming that they want to get as much value out of them. They were also refurbished so don’t look that old and during the time with Lothian Motorcoaches they were idle a lot so they may be getting the mileage up on them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I’m assuming that they want to get as much value out of them. They were also refurbished so don’t look that old and during the time with Lothian Motorcoaches they were idle a lot so they may be getting the mileage up on them.
It would be difficult to know but I wonder what Lothian's
  • Highest average speed block (right term?)
  • Highest milage block
  • Longest (time) block
  • Overall highest daily mileage routes a vehicle might reasonably do
is, for double- and single-deckers. (I think "block" is the right term; for the working a vehicle does between leaving the garage and returning? As it might encompass multiple routes as well as dead running to/from the garage. I think "duty" is the equivalent term for the driver.)

I would guess a block on the X7 would be the highest average speed for single decks. For doubles probably the X6? If the blocks are quite short though then they may not be the highest mileage.
I guess highest daily mileage depends a lot on the overall block length.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Apologies if this has been covered before but why are 841-850 still in service (originally 57 plates) when a fair number of newer vehicles have been sold already?

Fully refurbished to a high standard, bodywork and interior included. Too good to get rid of until new buses arrive that can displace them.

Also City needs the deckers they have for now.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
I wonder how many buses will be displaced when the BZLs arrive? It certainly won't be 50, as Lothian will surely use them to their advantage to reduce pressures and to increase services further, alongside cascades for Lothian Country? There are literally no reserve buses right now, assuming 1152/3 are returning, so they'll need them.

stevenedin

I reckon that they will sell off the white buses and possibly 841-850 and maybe some ex London buses but I think that 841-850 provide good capacity for Lothian Country and are relatively reliable so they may stay a bit longer. Who knows.

Busman757

I reckon that they will sell off the white buses and possibly 841-850 and maybe some ex London buses but I think that 841-850 provide good capacity for Lothian Country and are relatively reliable so they may stay a bit longer. Who knows.
841-850 were great buses to drive when I was at LC. Except the time I had 844 go into limp mode.

Lothianbus703

I agree with
White - 905/6/929-935
Some Ex London B9TL's
being withdrawn but I cant see 841-850 being involved

They are Northern Ireland issued numbers and they are quite commonly used as "cherished" plates over here. As @Lx008 says, it's often to disguise the age of the vehicle.
I suppose the next logical question is why a company would want to disguise vehicle ages at all. We've easily established these were originally registered in 2007, have been refurbished, and are really quite reliable buses. This is surely everything that passengers, insurers, drivers, or second hand dealers would want to know.

Unless there's something attractive about importing buses from Northern Ireland I don't see what benefit Lothian gain from changing these registration plates. It just alerts people to the vehicle age being disguised and you wonder what else is being hidden.

TheManWho

I suppose the next logical question is why a company would want to disguise vehicle ages at all. We've easily established these were originally registered in 2007, have been refurbished, and are really quite reliable buses. This is surely everything that passengers, insurers, drivers, or second hand dealers would want to know.

Unless there's something attractive about importing buses from Northern Ireland I don't see what benefit Lothian gain from changing these registration plates. It just alerts people to the vehicle age being disguised and you wonder what else is being hidden.
Loads of companies used to do it, particularly coach companies. Most people don't look at the registration plate of a bus

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Despite there being three afternoon X47 trips, one of these will operate before a peak journey on the 31 which already exists, hence why only two extra buses are needed. A second afternoon peak journey being added onto the 31 will come off the 47, and another X47 will change onto the 47 at the same time. The last X47 in the afternoon comes off a new peak time 24 journey.
Just to correct myself here:

The first X47 changes to the 47, the second X47 changes onto a 31.
The 47 being replaced by the X47 runs light to Heriot-Watt Uni and runs as a 34 then X33.

Allocations wise. 291-4 back on the 8/9 during the week, service 15 is using a mix of B9TLs and 600s, the 21 is now part operated with ex-Londons alongside 401-425, the 49 is fully run by 641-650 and the 19 now operates with 401-425. There is also a new Central operated peak journey on the 49 in the morning. Due to the 35 frequency increase, the rota where a 35 ran light to Semple Street and then ran as a 34 to Heriot Watt has stopped and Marine now run this journey coming off an X44 instead.

CSB0241

On Moderation
The 09-plate Gemini 2s haven’t had the best of luck, 928 has broken down & was seen by myself being towed through Merchiston.

Attachments

• IMG_3005.jpeg
    IMG_3005.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 85

Bus9120UK

Established Member
The 09-plate Gemini 2s haven’t had the best of luck, 928 has broken down & was seen by myself being towed through Merchiston.
Buses break down everyday. Although I'm not keen of these buses, I don't see the significance in posting it. Bus 292 broke down today as well!
I wonder if it’s to do with them sitting idle for so long then suddenly they are in full service again.
They used these vehicles on training purposes for the last month before reinstating them so they have had a chance to run around again. 930 was having issues at first but it looks to be sorted now.

jb66

I'm probably going to put a complaint ino Lothian Buses but just wondered if anyone knows Lothians policies.

My child regularly goes to after school clubs in winchburgh meaning she has to rely on the awful 72 bus to get back to broxburn. Not surprisingly tonight the 72 is running 38mins late, we have gotten used to this and she normally gets on the bus and takes it to Kirkliston then comes back past the school to keep warm and get a comfier seat.

Tonight the driver refused to let her get on, this is now the second time this had happened. Other drivers normally just let her on or ask her to scan her card again at kirkliston. I just wanted to get your guys take on it before I write in.

stevenedin

I'm probably going to put a complaint ino Lothian Buses but just wondered if anyone knows Lothians policies.

My child regularly goes to after school clubs in winchburgh meaning she has to rely on the awful 72 bus to get back to broxburn. Not surprisingly tonight the 72 is running 38mins late, we have gotten used to this and she normally gets on the bus and takes it to Kirkliston then comes back past the school to keep warm and get a comfier seat.

Tonight the driver refused to let her get on, this is now the second time this had happened. Other drivers normally just let her on or ask her to scan her card again at kirkliston. I just wanted to get your guys take on it before I write in.
As long as she scans the card towards Kirkliston and then at the terminus scans it again, it should be fine as 2 fares are paid.

I was just noticing that NightHawk branding has been removed from the Lothian website for East Coast Buses. It looks like they have all been rebranded as NightBus. When did this happen?

Last edited:

stevenedin

I’m surprised the Lothiancity brand has lasted so long. Anyone know why it exists as it’s only in the XLB’s?
I’m not sure, to be honest it’s not really all in the city as Lothian buses go out to Midlothian and East Lothian so they should probably just stick with Lothian Buses as the name.
NightHawk is still mentioned in the East Coast Buses Network Guide and on the tickets page (https://www.lothianbuses.com/fares-and-tickets/?service=ecb).
Thanks

CN04NRJ

Established Member
It would be difficult to know but I wonder what Lothian's
  • Highest average speed block (right term?)
  • Highest milage block
  • Longest (time) block
  • Overall highest daily mileage routes a vehicle might reasonably do
is, for double- and single-deckers. (I think "block" is the right term; for the working a vehicle does between leaving the garage and returning? As it might encompass multiple routes as well as dead running to/from the garage. I think "duty" is the equivalent term for the driver.)

I would guess a block on the X7 would be the highest average speed for single decks. For doubles probably the X6? If the blocks are quite short though then they may not be the highest mileage.
I guess highest daily mileage depends a lot on the overall block length.

One of the Airlink blocks leaves the garage at 0343 and returns at 0116. Usually the bus is fuelled, cleaned and back out again around 0330-0430.