• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vectron383

Evening everyone, I'm new here. Recently I have seen 2 single deck Geminis running around town with Learner stickers, does anyone know about these? Fleetnumbers are TB1 and TB3, 1 is in the transition livery between madder and fleet of the future. TB3 is in fleet of the future livery.

IMG_8680.JPG

IMG_8395.JPG

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Evening everyone, I'm new here. Recently I have seen 2 single deck Geminis running around town with Learner stickers, does anyone know about these? Fleetnumbers are TB1 and TB3, 1 is in the transition livery between madder and fleet of the future. TB3 is in fleet of the future livery.

TB1-TB4. TB1 is former 167, TB2 is 168 etc..

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I know none of you can predict the future but do you think Lothian are still going to preserve buses in the future?
Lothian itself? Reckon under current management any new additions is more than unlikely. A heritage fleet isn’t important when you have a company to run.

scosutsut

Is
Thanks for info. They were a slight blast to the past for me, especially TB1's livery.
I do often wonder this so I will ask as it's in discussion. Is it just me, or did anyone else prefer the scheme that TB1 was painted in over Fleet of the Future as per TB3?

I felt it suited the older bodies much better, especially at the front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Humberscot

Is
I do often wonder this so I will ask as it's in discussion, is it just me, or did anyone else prefer the scheme TB1 was in over Fleet of the Future as per TB3?

In my opinion I don't think either of the newer liveries works well on the Eclipses and certainly doesn't work as well as the previous 'swirl' livery. I think the livery TB1 is in is gimmicky and there's too much madder on the front on the livery for TB2.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Is
I do often wonder this so I will ask as it's in discussion, is it just me, or did anyone else prefer the scheme TB1 was in over Fleet of the Future as per TB3?

I much prefer the Fleet of the Future scheme - looks very smart and well designed compared to the swoop and stripe liveries.

Vectron383

I feel that fleet of the future suits Gemini 2s more, as it can be routed at the front to the shape of their front panel. However the transition livery between swirl and fleet of the future suits gemini 1 bodywork, as it can use the curves of the front headlight clusters. The transition livery does look more 'joined up' one some models than others though.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I'm currently on 582 on a 3 towards Mayfield and the bus is absolutely full. Other then 3/5 of the back upper deck the upper deck is completely full. I've not seen a bus this busy since the start of 2020 before the pandemic.

Currently on 582 on a 3 towards Mayfield and the bus is absolutely full. Other then 3/5 of the back upper deck the upper deck is completely full. Not seen a bus this busy since the start of 2020 before the pandemic
I've always avoided the 3 where possible as it always seems to be really busy. Could have done with a slight frequency increase during the pandemic I thought, and obviously could do with one just now.
Also I've just thought, do the hybrid vehicles used on the 3 (the 15 and 67 plates) have many fewer seats than the standard diesel vehicles? I think they have slightly fewer seats downstairs due to the cupboard thing at the back, but that must only be about two or three seats maximum?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Currently on 582 on a 3 towards Mayfield and the bus is absolutely full. Other then 3/5 of the back upper deck the upper deck is completely full. Not seen a bus this busy since the start of 2020 before the pandemic

It's really picked up, even in the evenings. I did the 2101 30 from Musselburgh this evening and I was 8 minutes down by Lothian Road purely because of passenger numbers and frequent stopping. The timetable is still quite generous too in the evenings. No social distancing issues, just very busy compared to the last time I worked late.

Even earlier on in the day I caught a 33 down towards Balgreen from Longstone to do a 38 and that was picking 4-8 people up at every stop.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
It's really picked up, even in the evenings. I did the 2101 30 from Musselburgh this evening and I was 8 minutes down by Lothian Road purely because of passenger numbers and frequent stopping. The timetable is still quite generous too in the evenings. No social distancing issues, just very busy compared to the last time I worked late.

Even earlier on in the day I caught a 33 down towards Balgreen from Longstone to do a 38 and that was picking 4-8 people up at every stop.

Numbers are picking up, we could be looking at an almost normal network again soon, just need the final nail in the coffin once restrictions are lifted! (15 to Penicuik and Eastfield) etc

Numbers are picking up, we could be looking at an almost normal network again soon, just need the final nail in the coffin once restrictions are lifted! (15 to Penicuik and Eastfield) etc

oh and the X5 also!

Last edited:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
And of course, the long-awaited X38 comeback.

Oooh now that is tempting fate :lol:

As mentioned before if Lothian Country decide to give Kirkliston and/or Linlithgow another chance they really should just do something with the 275/276 like reroute it via the 600 route and continue it to the Gyle!

Or if Lothian decide to bid for the 31 when the tenders go up, what have they got to lose? (Retorical question)

But that’s my two cent, I’ll stop before the (it’s been discussed before on here, move along) crew come knocking! ;):lol:

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I noticed that East Coast Buses have been badgered non stop on Twitter about the X5 being reinstated, honestly the fact they didn’t bring it back when all the other express services returned in the last change I’ll never understand

Noticed that East Coast Buses have been badgered non stop on Twitter about the X5 being reinstated, honestly the fact they didn’t bring it back when all the other express services returned in the last change I’ll never understand
I'm not sure if this was just the day of the week/time of day I was traveling, but when I caught a 124 from Longniddry going towards Edinburgh a few days ago (think it was Saturday) about mid afternoon, it was almost completely full (someone in almost every seat, not just every window seat); I didn't stay on it for very long though so I'm not sure how many of those passengers would have benefited from taking the X5 had it been running.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
I'm not sure if this was just the day of the week/time of day I was traveling, but when I caught a 124 from Longniddry going towards Edinburgh a few days ago (think it was Saturday) about mid afternoon, it was almost completely full (someone in almost every seat, not just every window seat); I didn't stay on it for very long though so I'm not sure how many of those passengers would have benefited from taking the X5 had it been running.

To be fair loads of those residents could of just been going to Prestonpans/Musselburgh or even Portobello for that matter But you never know!

Its been the most demanded service back that I’ve seen on Social Media, dont get me wrong I love the 124 but I feel sorry for the residents that have to stay on the bus for almost 2 hours with no express alternative!

If they don’t bring it back for the next service change then they are really shooting themselves in the foot

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
To be fair loads of those residents could of just been going to Prestonpans/Musselburgh or even Portobello for that matter But you never know!

Its been the most demanded service back that I’ve seen on Social Media, dont get me wrong I love the 124 but I feel sorry for the residents that have to stay on the bus for almost 2 hours with no express alternative!

If they don’t bring it back for the next service change then they are really shooting themselves in the foot
ECB should certainly look at bringing it back, the train loads are already full most of the time for here to North Berwick and 124's are full at certain times as well. I'd say an hourly X5 with doubles could probably run and make some decent money, it's probably more dependent on resources than viability. Can't see it being long before it comes back.

I was thinking of phoning them but since it's been brought up on here I'll ask: do Lothian/East Coast Buses/Lothian Country only offer full-time driving roles? Or is part-time available too?

Bus9120UK

Established Member
Appears so . 925 on 35 , 926 and 927 appear to be Central based on 24 and 10 today
It's already been like this for a couple of weeks - several 300's have moved across depot's to Central and Longstone. 925 is expected to be withdrawn very soon.