• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Lothianbus703

No. Selling while retaining until needed is usually avoided considering that, like with the East Coast B7s, they could be needed for much longer than expected.
According to the Lothian vehicle finder 925 has now been withdrawn from service. (Image below shows screenshot of the relevant lvf.io record)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210909-233625~2.png
    Screenshot_20210909-233625~2.png
    33.5 KB · Views: 43
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

According to the Lothian vehicle finder 925 has now been withdrawn from service. (Image below shows screenshot of the relevant lvf.io record)
Does anyone know what's happening with the Lothian Vehicle Finder at the moment? The Rare command only works intermittently, and I don't seem to be able to do a History query any more either... :s

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Does anyone know what's happening with the Lothian Vehicle Finder at the moment? The Rare command only works intermittently, and I don't seem to be able to do a History query any more either... :s
You need to sign up now, and you should get the features back within a few days. I’m told registration will soon be mandatory to use any feature as well.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

Someone getting ahead of themselves and ignoring real world data (the fact it's still out in service!).

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The LVF admins updated that status due to what they saw on the Ensign sales list, as they aren’t going to be seeing 925 on a daily basis.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
the LVF admins updated that status due to what they seen on the Ensign sales list as they aren’t going to be seeing 925 on a daily basis

It'll be out on a daily basis (probably not Sundays - although it did make it out recently on a Sunday as it was an allocated spare) until its withdrawn though?

Seems odd to remove an active member of the fleet in anticipation of it's eventual sale.

Bus9120UK

Established Member
My mate was checking the Edinburgh Transport Visualiser, and noticed 315, 317 and 925 all heading for Marine. They are now all parked at Marine. Seems they won't be required anymore following the service changes?

The latest batch of Enviro 400 MMC's are indeed 71 plates, rather than 21 ones.
(Image shows rear of SJ71HJO)
1631361281106.png

ScotRail158725

Established Member
My mate was checking the Edinburgh Transport Visualiser, and noticed 315, 317 and 925 all heading for Marine. They are now all parked at Marine. Seems they won't be required anymore following the service changes?

The latest batch of Enviro 400 MMC's are indeed 71 plates, rather than 21 ones. View attachment 102469
651-659 are ready for service and with a reduction in frequencies for some services that’ll require fewer buses, hence why 925 and some of the SN09s will be getting withdrawn.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
651-659 are ready for service and with a reduction in frequencies for some services that’ll require less buses hence why 925 and some of the SN09s will be getting withdrawn

I wonder what fleet movements there will be (if any) with the 45 being fully reinstated and 2 to Central along with the other changes.

Three less buses on the 30 and usually one or two 7900s make it onto the 2 so my guess would be 16-20 to Central? Unsure on decker changes.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I wonder what fleet movements there will be (if any) with the 45 being fully reinstated and 2 to Central along with the other changes.

Three less buses on the 30 and usually one or two 7900s make it onto the 2 so my guess would be 16-20 to Central? Unsure on decker changes.
The 30 getting a frequency reduction is one of the worst changes in a long time in my opinion. I don't think the 30 will lose many vehicles considering it's only going from 10 mins to 12 mins which will free up only 3 or 4 vehicles.

Single-decker wise the 7900s will be moved to accommodate the 2 & 45.
Double-decker wise there will be vehicles moving to Longstone as they’re losing 925 and if 315/317 have been withdrawn then I'd reckon 310-319 will all go.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
None of the frequency reductions are a good thing in my opinion. I can understand why it's happening with a driver shortage and perceived reduction in passengers although in reality I haven't noticed this for the last couple of months compared to normal. I don't think it will be long until they are having to either send out so many duplicates that it becomes complicated or simply tweak the frequency back up again.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
None of the frequency reductions are a good thing in my opinion. I can understand why it's happening with a driver shortage and perceived reduction in passengers although in reality I haven't noticed this for the last couple of months compared to normal. I don't think it will be long until they are having to either send out so many duplicates that it becomes complicated or simply tweak the frequency back up again.
Frequency reductions aren’t necessarily a bad thing in my opinion if its relevant. The 5 and 21 reductions are fine as they don’t have enough demand for their current freuqencies so cutting a the frequency by a few minutes will not have much if any negative effects on passengers and it saves the company money. The 30 on the other hand is a route which is very busy throughout the whole day throughout the entirety of its route and a frequency reduction of any kind on it will just cause the services to get busier.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I can't speak for the 5 but the 21 cuts are not going to go down well. As a regular user of this service for long-distance journeys the current frequency was coping but the reduced frequency will see the whole job go sour

It has happened before when this route has been fiddled with and will simply have to be restored again within weeks

cnjb8

Established Member
Hello,
Has SN08BYF left Lothian yet? I think I’ve seen it in service with Skills in Nottingham and I need a confirmation. Thank you :)

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Hello,
Has SN08BYF left Lothian yet? I think I’ve seen it in service with Skills in Nottingham and I need a confirmation. Thank you :)
Yes it has. 925 wouldn’t have been the only remaining Gemini in the fleet if SN08BYF was still with Lothian.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Frequency reductions aren’t necessarily a bad thing in my opinion if its relevant. The 5 and 21 reductions are fine as they don’t have enough demand for their current freuqencies so cutting a the frequency by a few minutes will not have much if any negative effects on passengers and it saves the company money. The 30 on the other hand is a route which is very busy throughout the whole day throughout the entirety of its route and a frequency reduction of any kind on it will just cause the services to get busier.

At the moment the 30s just tend to bunch up in twos (or more on a bad day) so you've got two really busy buses then the ones behind quite quiet or empty.

However, running and layover times haven't increased so I'll reserve comment. Hopefully the change will work?

The constant roadworks and reduced lanes thanks to spaces for people don't help earlier - it took me 20 minutes to get from South Bridge onto Princes Street this afternoon just as one example of many!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
The constant roadworks and reduced lanes thanks to spaces for people don't help earlier - it took me 20 minutes to get from South Bridge onto Princes Street this afternoon just as one example of many!
The spaces for people scheme is ridiculous and it just delays people.

I'm often held in jams going across North Bridge particularly northbound. It often takes about 10 minutes to do South Bridge to North Bridge. The traffic here is a joke.

Porty

The spaces for people scheme is ridiculous and it just delays people.

Im often held in jams going across North Bridge particularly northbound. Often takes about 10 minutes to do South Bridge to North Bridge. Traffic here is a joke
You can't really blame spaces for people for the congestion at North Bridge / Princes St which, I agree, is a real problem. It's principally due to the long running North Bridge major structural repairs and the consequential single lane in each direction and limited space for queueing at the lights. I'm not sure much can be done about it till these works are finished.

I would also hazard a guess that there's lots more car traffic in this area from the southern side of the city and heading for the 1600 car park spaces in the St James Centre, especially on a Saturday. George IV bridge closure, though it's now reopened, also diverted traffic (including buses) over North Bridge for a couple of weeks.

Darklord8899

At the moment the 30s just tend to bunch up in twos (or more on a bad day) so you've got two really busy buses then the ones behind quite quiet or empty.

However, running and layover times haven't increased so I'll reserve comment. Hopefully the change will work?

Ughhhhh tell me about it. I used to get the 300 home from Newington (latterly from Nicholson Sq) to Sighthill, but after the last butchering to the 300, I'm stuck with the 3. It is a nightmare trying to get down the bridges - it doesn't matter if it is early afternoon or early evening nor which day of the week either. My old 35/45 minute journey is now regularly an hour to hour and 15 minutes. :(

:oops:rant over

Edit: I know it is not your fault @CN04NRJ I imagine Drivers are as frustrated with everything as much as us passengers are. You guys do a fantastic job! :D

CN04NRJ

Established Member
The 30 getting a frequency reduction is one of the worst changes in a long time in my opinion. I don't think the 30 will lose many vehicles considering it's only going from 10 mins to 12 mins which will free up only 3 or 4 vehicles.

Single-decker wise the 7900s will be moved to accommodate the 2 & 45.
Double-decker wise there will be vehicles moving to Longstone as they’re losing 925 and if 315/317 have been withdrawn then I'd reckon 310-319 will all go.

310/311 to Central, 310 is out on the 22.

Mal

I'm just back from 5 days in Cameron Toll, Edinburgh and went to Princes Street every day. I am impressed with Lothian buses, fares and drivers, but wonder when North Bridge repairs will be done. It must be really frustrating for locals and regular passengers.

I'm just back from 5 days in Cameron Toll, Edinburgh and went to Princes Street every day. I am impressed with Lothian buses, fares and drivers, but wonder when North Bridge repairs will be done. It must be really frustrating for locals and regular passengers.
I don't think it's an especially old structure but repairs have been quite common on North Bridge for as long as I can remember. Another round of disruption is never far away.
Going forward I believe there may be plans to route a tram line up there, which could spell permanent frustration for bus users (judging by the Princes St experience).

I don't think it's an especially old structure but repairs have been quite common on North Bridge for as long as I can remember. Another round of disruption is never far away.
Going forward I believe there may be plans to route a tram line up there, which could spell permanent frustration for bus users (judging by the Princes St experience).
I can't imagine the Princes Street - North Bridge junction was nearly as bad as it is now, before the works, when at least there were two lanes in each direction. So hopefully that junction will improve once the current works (eventually) finish.

What that junction really needs though is some grade separation (:lol:)

stevenedin

The 26 has also been badly delayed recently. There are roadworks everywhere you go.