• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

ScotRail158725

Established Member
925 was on service 5 last Monday 13th of September and has not been on service since.
I am guessing that was its last day.
Yes a bit of putting 2+2 together would indicate it was.

Believe that it’s last day on the 5 was it’s only day being run from anywhere other than Longstone in its Entire lifespan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
So now that 422-424 are wrapped with ‘Kraken ads’ (sorry, that’s awful) and it looks as if 425 won’t be getting the same one, I did wonder if we’d see one for the new Bond film ‘No Time to Die’ on 425? I guess it could be anything though.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
So now that 422-424 are wrapped with ‘Kraken ads’ (sorry, that’s awful) and it looks as if 425 won’t be getting the same one, I did wonder if we’d see one for the new Bond film ‘No Time to Die’ on 425? I guess it could be anything though.
425 is still out in its normal livery so it wont be getting a Kraken one. Seems a bit late for a No Time To Die wrap as well.

backontrack

Established Member
Here's a question:

Which Lothian bus route do people reckon is, statistically, its most heavily-used?

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Here's a question:

Which Lothian bus route do people reckon is, statistically, its most heavily-used?
3 & 30 definitely. Both routes consistently busy throughout the day, every day and throughout the whole route
Just a suggestion but service 44 might be the most heavily used or one of the most heavily used.
44 is a busy route but off peak on weekdays numbers seem to dwindle. Its a route that gets away (just) with a 12 or 15 minute frequency whereas a 12 or 15 minute frequency on the 3 or 30 would definitely cause capacity issues
My guess would be either the 11 or 16. Always seem to have a good load going through Morningside or up the Walk.
Agree they’re busy routes but I dont think as busy as the 3 & 30

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I remember Lothian mentioning the 11 and 16 as the busiest some years back, but lockdown has likely changed it - Arguably impossible to know atmo as it could change constantly.

backontrack

Established Member
3 & 30 definitely. Both routes consistently busy throughout the day, every day and throughout the whole route

44 is a busy route but off peak on weekdays numbers seem to dwindle. Its a route that gets away (just) with a 12 or 15 minute frequency whereas a 12 or 15 minute frequency on the 3 or 30 would definitely cause capacity issues

Agree they’re busy routes but I dont think as busy as the 3 & 30
So it's kind of ironic that the 30 is single-decker only! Would it compete if it were double-decker? Very handy route for me at the moment getting down to Peffermill and the Fort.

3 is probably right up there yeah.

duffers2324

speaking of Lothian Motorcoaches, seen 2 of them out on hire to Dalkeith Thistle football team, last week for the Scottish cup first round against Clydebank, got to say was a little strange seeing Lothian Liveried coaches out in Clydebank!

Auld reekie

Just a suggestion but service 44 might be the most heavily used or one of the most heavily used.
On paper it's a good service as well.
However in practice it's shocking.
Continually you get 2 together and the occasional 3 together.
Don't know if other services have the same problem.

buslad1988

Think that basically applies to just about all services at the moment!

Auld reekie

Think that basically applies to just about all services at the moment!
I tend to blame roadworks as a factor but I don’t know if that’s always the case.
The number of buses I see “Not in service.” Is quite a lot.
Are they just trying to make up time or is it because there are driver shortages and there is no relief to take over?

Darklord8899

I tend to blame roadworks as a factor but I don’t know if that’s always the case.
The number of buses I see “Not in service.” Is quite a lot.
Are they just trying to make up time or is it because there are driver shortages and there is no relief to take over?
I think a combination of factors including roadworks, spaces for people measures, shocking parking/stopping all contribute to it. It seems to affect most services, especially those on 10/12/15 min frequency. I've even seen 33's running at 10min/40min instead of 20min.
As for "not in service" vehicles, I don't think there are nearly as many placement journeys as there used to be (buses that run part route to somewhere then pick up a different service somewhere else) buses are just running out of service to where they need to be for quickness.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...

buslad1988

I think a combination of factors including roadworks, spaces for people measures, shocking parking/stopping all contribute to it. It seems to affect most services, especially those on 10/12/15 min frequency. I've even seen 33's running at 10min/40min instead of 20min.
As for "not in service" vehicles, I don't think there are nearly as many placement journeys as there used to be (buses that run part route to somewhere then pick up a different service somewhere else) buses are just running out of service to where they need to be for quickness.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong...
That pretty much sums it up perfectly. Placement journeys are usually most common around the peaks and start/end of day.

If you see buses with ‘Not in Service’ during the day it’ll generally be where drivers have been told to “turn” and start their return journey from a different location on time (because of late running). It’s the same scenario when you see part route buses (because of bunching)... for example I saw 30’s yesterday displayed for Niddrie and Queen Margaret with a normal full route 30 following behind. Once these buses get to their part route locations they’ll transfer any remaining passengers left on to the bus behind. This is also partly why Lothian abandoned operating circular services as it makes doing things like this much easier.

No amount of timetable tweaking can accommodate some of the factors coming into play recently. Earlier this week Brighton Place closed unexpectedly for an indefinite amount of time resulting in lengthy diversions for services 21 and 49. Add in the 4-way temporary lights on Milton Road on top and you’ve lost 10-15 minutes alone just in that small section of route within Portobello (which you generally have no hope of getting back).

CN04NRJ

Established Member

The extended Westfield Road roadworks were causing delays of up to 50 minutes or more on some services yesterday and Friday (the football didn't help). Quite a few services were diverted via the West Approach road to try and alleviate it.

Alot of the time no work is actually taking place - such as the Lauder Road closure that took 3 months to install a crossing and turn half the junction into a separate cycle junction and they've only completed one side of it.

TheEastCoaster

Established Member

Guess it dosnt help that besides the 45 and the 63 there’s no other service that runs up that way so there’s hardly other alternatives.

Replaced 932, no clue why. Sounds like a nice bus for the route though.
Something goes wrong with the 43 service nearly every Sunday as buses struggle keeping to time. Don't know for sure on this occasion but it's very common to slot in an extra vehicle when late running exceeds about 30 minutes. Perhaps it could come from a different depot if more convenient.

In London we have data, is there not any in Edinburgh?
Data for commercially viable routes wouldn't be available to the public outside London. And of course in London no routes run commercially anyway.