• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheEastCoaster

Established Member
Okay so without hoping to set off any heated debate with this I have to ask.

Its been weeks and First have been having service issue with certain routes unable to run or journeys cancelled at the last minute. And also I’ve noticed on Twitter that folk have had to switch to Lothian Country for journeys First can’t make.

Now be honest, has anyone noticed any more loadings on the LCB services? (bar the 43)

I noticed the X18/X27/X28 carry a few more passengers outside of peak times but i can’t speak for within West Lothian, I’m just curious.

Its been weeks and First have been having service issue with certain routes unable to run or journeys cancelled at the last minute. And also I’ve noticed on Twitter that folk have had to switch to Lothian Country for journeys First can’t make.

Now be honest, has anyone noticed any more loadings on the LCB services? (bar the 43)

I noticed the X18/X27/X28 carry a few more passengers outside of peak times but i can’t speak for within West Lothian, I’m just curious.
For those with long memories, even in pre-pandemic days did either company attract many passengers to their West Lothian services anyway?

JurassicMan

The strange thing was first chose to cut short the X25 which went through Uphall and Broxburn ahead of X18 heading to Edinburgh and got decent footfall ,the X24 is usually under 10 mins behind and really struggles to get numbers. It was a bizarre option.
On a general view as far as X27/X28 go with Langton Road closed its hard to gauge numbers although its safe to say they are far more used than X22 although none of them seem even close to pre covid numbers and that has to be a major concern when funding stops.

For those with long memories, even in pre-pandemic days did either company attract many passengers to their West Lothian services anyway?
No and to be fair the X27/X28 even in First days were never profitable.

cammyeaston

10051 is back at Musselburgh depot this morning after its extended absence. Not seen 20946 yet but I imagine it won't be too far behind.
I must be a bit out of the loop, but why was 10051 out of traffic? I assume it was involved in a RTA but I don't remember seeing anything about it.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
567 is back out on the road in the FotF livery today. (photo shared with permission)

received_556466668800996.jpeg

Last edited:

Busman757

The strange thing was first chose to cut short the X25 which went through Uphall and Broxburn ahead of X18 heading to Edinburgh and got decent footfall ,the X24 is usually under 10 mins behind and really struggles to get numbers. It was a bizarre option.
On a general view as far as X27/X28 go with Langton Road closed its hard to gauge numbers although its safe to say they are far more used than X22 although none of them seem even close to pre covid numbers and that has to be a major concern when funding stops.

No and to be fair the X27/X28 even in First days were never profitable.
I’ve been on X28’s nearly everyday last week and picked up a near full load at Livingston Centre for Edinburgh on every journey! Hope this helps!

ScotRail158725

Established Member
I’ve been on X28’s nearly everyday last week and picked up a near full load at Livingston Centre for Edinburgh on every journey! Hope this helps!
Between 3-5pm most Lothian country services pick up large loads off Livingston Centre

Good to see though. The remaining swoops liveried buses are starting to fade and look a bit worn now.
358, 361, 374 and 377 are the worst ones. 423 & 424 are definitely the most faded but thats hidden under wraps now

Last edited:

JurassicMan

It has always been the case that there have been busy periods on he X28. The problem has never been the small percentage of journeys with approx 80% capacity; it was always the large percentage of journeys with under 20% capacity and the large parts of the journey where bus runs virtually empty. It never was a commercially viable road on x27 /x28 corridor and that was even before there was any competition for passengers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Busman757

It has always been the case that there have been busy periods on he X28. The problem has never been the small percentage of journeys with approx 80% capacity; it was always the large percentage of journeys with under 20% capacity and the large parts of the journey where bus runs virtually empty. It never was a commercially viable road on x27 /x28 corridor and that was even before there was any competition for passengers!
I might add that these were at different times of the day!

stevenedin

If they didn’t make money they wouldn’t run them. I’m guessing the higher fares for Lothian Country compared to First are enough to sustain them at quieter times.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
They may still end up at Marine, Longstone has more storage space than Seafield does so it’s possible that these 9 have been moved to free up space.
660 & 661 are there too now.
It's weird that it's not going to be ordely, like 631 - 660 at Marine.
It was never confirmed it would be a 30/30/30 split between the three depots so all these 651 onwards could all be going to Longstone. Wait and see what happens before saying these are going here these are going there

alexf380

Established Member
There's this by Stuart Montgomery on Flickr