• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Jordan Adam

Established Member
This is what happens when public transport becomes political and the decisions are made by people who have probably only ever sat on the bus for a photo opportunity. Their decisions won't affect them or anybody they know - the whole idea is an exercise in futility and they're too blind to see it.

Exactly, it's one of the downsides of having a municipal bus operator. Those in the council have far too much power given their lack of knowledge, and management at bus operators are more reluctant to oppose council decisions in fear that it risks their job. Regardless of if you agreed with what he did or not just look at how they booted out Hall.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

buslad1988

Exactly, it's one of the downsides of having a municipal bus operator. Those in the council have far too much power given their lack of knowledge, and management at bus operators are more reluctant to oppose council decisions in fear that it risks their job. Regardless of if you agreed with what he did or not just look at how they booted out Hall.
Exactly! Richard Hall didn’t pander to anyone at the council and took the company its in own direction (even distancing itself from the TfE brand). The worrying thing now is the council will ensure any future MD tows the line and goes along with everything they want... which isn’t how an “arms length” company should work in my opinion! Any locals from Edinburgh will also know the council has a terrible track record for just about anything!

CN04NRJ

Established Member
I had an incling one of those would leave East Coast. With 20943 being back, fleet numbers are starting to sort themselves out. Just the new deliveries for East Coast now!

Any confirmation on what they are? My guess would be single door E400 B5TLs?

Still waiting excitedly on the MCVs :lol:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
I had an incling one of those would leave East Coast. With 20943 being back, fleet numbers are starting to sort themselves out. Just the new deliveries for East Coast now!
Wonder if it will remain at Marine for long? If it’s planned to stay at Marine for a bit then maybe 465 will head back to Central?

I’m hoping eventually all 10 of the ex LMC deckers will end up back in WL, with perhaps some of (if not all, depends on situ at that time) 928-936 moved back to the city fleet maybe?

scosutsut

Wonder if it will remain at Marine for long? If it’s planned to stay at Marine for a bit then maybe 465 will head back to Central?

I’m hoping eventually all 10 of the ex LMC deckers will end up back in WL, with perhaps some of (if not all, depends on situ at that time) 928-936 moved back to the city fleet maybe?
Sending them to LC makes the most sense to me, groups together a big similar age profile together, all due for renewal in the coming years, judge the success of the business by that point and order, or don't, accordingly.

OmniCity999

Established Member
Any confirmation on what they are? My guess would be single door E400 B5TLs?

Still waiting excitedly on the MCVs :lol:
Believe the original order was for dual doored Enviro 400's on B5TL chassis. For use on the 113.

Although let's be honest it's probably changed.

That'd allow the LMC examples to leave East Coast and for 20937-20950 to take their place as well as being used on the 104 and other routes as per just now.

Very much doubt with the change of management that they'd send LMC deckers to LCB to release other deckers. Thats 2 sets of repaints. They'd just send the LMC lot to LCB and keep the fleet as is.

We're on a penny watching exercise from now on.

Very much doubt with the change of management that they'd send LMC deckers to LCB to release other deckers. Thats 2 sets of repaints. They'd just send the LMC lot to LCB and keep the fleet as is.

We're on a penny watching exercise from now on.
Yes, seems little point in going to that trouble for the sake of liberating 928-936 from LCB. They've only got a few years of life in them, but still seem to hold out satisfactorily in normal service on the 43 route. If the arrangement proves bothersome that can be tackled when it arises, but I can't think they're much of an asset anywhere else.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
This may not be important but are the new MCV eVoRa's (B8RLE's) going to be registered as 20 plates or 70 plates?

Can't see how they'd be registered on 20 plates as none of them have hit the road yet? We may well see them on 21 plates yet :lol:

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Can't see how they'd be registered on 20 plates as none of them have hit the road yet? We may well see them on 21 plates yet :lol:
Wouldn’t surprise me if we see something similar to how the XLB’s were done, the first lot were regd as 68 plates and then reregd as 19 plates (except 1063). I assume those XLB’s were never fully registered in the first place and thus had provisional plates if you like (sorry I don’t know the exact terminology lol).

So I would think maybe some eVoRa’s will have 70 plates but then the majority will probably get 21’s if I’m making sense?

Wouldn’t surprise me if we see something similar to how the XLB’s were done, the first lot were regd as 68 plates and then reregd as 19 plates (except 1063). I assume those XLB’s were never fully registered in the first place and thus had provisional plates if you like (sorry I don’t know the exact terminology lol).

So I would think maybe some eVoRa’s will have 70 plates but then the majority will probably get 21’s if I’m making sense?
Aye that does make sense, do the 21 plates start coming out on February?

overthewater

Established Member
If the offices havent opened then why add in extra buses? if the nightclubs are still closed why add in extra buses?

OmniCity999

Established Member
so no chance of the 67,X24,X38 returning and other changes during this “critical network” before the year ends? I would expect one more set in November or even December

we're going in and out of lockdowns and it will be the case for a while.

Unofficially - ive been told it'll be March, that being said i did say unofficially so it may change, i cant give you a solid answer because there isnt one currently.

If the offices havent opened then why add in extra buses? if the nightclubs are still closed why add in extra buses?
I was on a few buses around West Lothian (Bathgate/Livingston) one evening last week and all were pretty quiet, the busiest was actually an Edinburgh-bound X28 as it picked up about 8-10 from the Tesco centre. So certainly I can't see there being any increases on that side of things for a while yet.

CN04NRJ

Established Member
so no chance of the 67,X24,X38 returning and other changes during this “critical network” before the year ends? I would expect one more set in November or even December

One more set of service increase or decrease? It's getting quieter out there again. I wouldn't expect anything more until next March when big employers are planning a return to offices.

stantheman

On Moderation
Regarding First new service 63 to Balerno , have had several observations recently and have yet to see a single passenger on board in Balerno . Yes I know bus travel is problematic but this was the community demanding a service to other places apart from the city center 44

OmniCity999

Established Member
Regarding First new service 63 to Balerno , have had several observations recently and have yet to see a single passenger on board in Balerno . Yes I know bus travel is problematic but this was the community demanding a service to other places apart from the city center 44
Thats a regular occurance, look when Lothian brought back the 60 by request. Hardly any clientelle. They moaned and moaned for years for a service down dumbidykes and it maybe carried 5 people a day. You take it away and their up in arms.

People just want a service to say they have a service "just in case"

CN04NRJ

Established Member
Thats a regular occurance, look when Lothian brought back the 60 by request. Hardly any clientelle. They moaned and moaned for years for a service down dumbidykes and it maybe carried 5 people a day. You take it away and their up in arms.

People just like to see a bus go past their house so they can use it once a year while their car is being serviced.

Same type of people who don't want a bus terminus or stop outside their house as the engine noise/exhaust gives them health complaints but they'll be the first to complain if the service is taken away.

Auld reekie

People just love travelling on a bus just now to go shopping under restrictions.

OmniCity999

Established Member
People just like to see a bus go past their house so they can use it once a year while their car is being serviced.

Same type of people who don't want a bus terminus or stop outside their house as the engine noise/exhaust gives them health complaints but they'll be the first to complain if the service is taken away.
Id love a terminus outside my house. First pick of the seats!

What the public want is not necessarily what makes business sense. Although I think Firsts 63 offering will perk up in better conditions.

Auld reekie

Id love a terminus outside my house. First pick of the seats!

What the public want is not necessarily what makes business sense. Although I think Firsts 63 offering will perk up in better conditions.
I agree it’s unfortunate that it’s started in the present climate.