• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lothian Group discussion (Lothian City, Lothian Country Bus and East Coast Buses)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
How many eclipse 1s were there in the lothian fleet? (wierd question, just wondering)
You can find a full list of Lothian's Wright-bodied buses on buslistsontheweb.co.uk using the advanced search feature - leave the chassis field at "All", select "Wright" in the body field and type "Lothian" in the owner field.

FlybeDash8Q400

Established Member
Looks as if this trouble/violence (not sure what’s most appropriate) has reached new areas. Where I live has now tonight seen groups of 30 to 40 youths (mostly on bikes) looking to attack any road vehicle - luckily they left me alone but unfortunately the buses certainly looked a target. Sadly looks as if this isn’t going to go away any time soon and I certainly hope it doesn’t get worse before it gets better. It’s just pathetic really that some think it’s ok to abuse/assault anyone trying to do their job where in this case is providing essential transport for many workers (and others) trying to get to/from where they need to be. I myself started at 05.30 this morning and I couldn’t have got to work without a bus as I don’t yet have a license and a taxi would be incredibly expensive. Police need to be doing more but I guess that’s easier said than done, and I’m all for this pulling of services if it needs to happen - I’ll gladly pay that taxi fare if needbe if stops people being hurt.

What I don't understand is they are doing it when finances are in jeopardy, also everyone is trying to protect lives and these morons are terrorising innocent people "for a laugh", hopefully these kids grow up someday and relise how pathetic they actually are.

In other news, is there any B9TL's been sold yet?

CN04NRJ

Established Member
What I don't understand is they are doing it when finances are in jeopardy, also everyone is trying to protect lives and these morons are terrorising innocent people "for a laugh", hopefully these kids grow up someday and relise how pathetic they actually are.

In other news, is there any B9TL's been sold yet?

As posted on the last page, a number have been sold to Ensignbus. Please use the search function or read the thread.

As posted on the last page, a number have been sold to Ensignbus. Please use the search function or read the thread.
Sorry, I was supposed to say has anymore been sold since then.

Edit: I came across this on the Finaly Smith Edinburgh Transport Visualisation website.
Fleet numbers 1197, 1198 and 1199 are appearing in Musselburgh.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210308-234131_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-234131_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210308-234117_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-234117_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20210308-234058_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    Screenshot_20210308-234058_DuckDuckGo.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

DunsBus

Established Member
You can find a full list of Lothian's Wright-bodied buses on buslistsontheweb.co.uk using the advanced search feature - leave the chassis field at "All", select "Wright" in the body field and type "Lothian" in the owner field.
By my calculations there were a total of 74.

Main fleet - 101 to 166 (new) and 193/4 (second-hand)

East Coast - 10101 to 10106 (second-hand)

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Indeed. When a thread is fairly fast-moving, as this one tends to be, I expect forum members to rewind a few pages in order to catch up before posting any questions. Nobody is suggesting that readers go back to the very beginning of the thread, but please help yourselves to the information that has already been posted. There is a search facility within the forum, but if you find that it does not provide you with the answers that you require, feel free to do a site-search using your favourite search engine.

For example: "site:railforums.co.uk <insert question here>

The internet is a magnificent resource but, as in the days before it existed, you have to find some answers yourself.

cammyeaston

Just a question but why did lothian own 193/194 and 10101-10106 anyway?

193/194 were bought second hand from Whitelaws of Stonehouse some years back, 2011 or 2012 I think and were in main service use, often found on the 12.

10101-10107 (someone said 10106 but there were 7 bought from Arriva) were bought to open the East Coast Buses services in 2016. 193/194 also joined ECB when it opened and became 10193/10194.

DunsBus

Established Member
193/194 were bought second hand from Whitelaws of Stonehouse some years back, 2011 or 2012 I think and were in main service use, often found on the 12.

10101-10107 (someone said 10106 but there were 7 bought from Arriva) were bought to open the East Coast Buses services in 2016. 193/194 also joined ECB when it opened and became 10193/10194.
That was me. I knew I'd missed one out somewhere. :oops:

That makes it 75 Eclipse 1s bought in all by Lothian. 66 new (101 to 166), the rest second-hand (193/4 and 10101 to 10107).

scosutsut

I believe 10103-07 finished their time with LCB, 10101/2 staying with ECB up until disposal.

ScotRail158725

Established Member
Didn't some of the early 04 plate B7RLEs get sold around the same time? Recall seeing pictures of one or more with McGill's?
193/194 were taken on in 2013ish, the first native RLEs to go went in 2015 those being 101-106 moved to the training fleet with 107-109 to Dochertys Midland Coaches and 110 & 111 to McGills bith of which have since been scrapped

CN04NRJ

Established Member
193/194 were taken on in 2013ish, the first native RLEs to go went in 2015 those being 101-106 moved to the training fleet with 107-109 to Dochertys Midland Coaches and 110 & 111 to McGills bith of which have since been scrapped

Thanks! Bit before my time here so my knowledge is a bit sketchy.

kez19

Established Member
Maybe a stupid question to ask, last time I was in Edinburgh was 2019 but I thought at that time Lothian had all their buses with WiFi or was it just certain buses?

OmniCity999

Established Member
Maybe a stupid question to ask, last time I was in Edinburgh was 2019 but I thought at that time Lothian had all their buses with WiFi or was it just certain buses?
All buses are fitted with WiFi.

This just isn't advertised as its presumed a given.

Buses used to have stickers on windows but this was vetoed when new management came in.

kez19

Established Member
All buses are fitted with WiFi.

This just isn't advertised as its presumed a given.

Buses used to have stickers on windows but this was vetoed when new management came in.

I remember at the time some did have WiFi advertised on the side of the buses (big WiFi sticker), at the time it was one of the older geminis I tried connecting or my phone didn’t detect WiFi was available (made me think that the bus didn’t have WiFi)

OmniCity999

Established Member
I remember at the time some did have WiFi advertised on the side of the buses (big WiFi sticker), at the time it was one of the older geminis I tried connecting or my phone didn’t detect WiFi was available (made me think that the bus didn’t have WiFi)
I dont know the ins and outs of internet etc, but if it had the sticker, it had WiFi.

The entire fleet has WiFi (and has so for a few years) now and i now even know, theres issues with certain phones, data usage and clocking.

kez19

Established Member
I dont know the ins and outs of internet etc, but if it had the sticker, it had WiFi.

The entire fleet has WiFi (and has so for a few years) now and i now even know, theres issues with certain phones, data usage and clocking.

The buses I used at the time didn't have the stickers advertised but did see it at time on some of the newer fleet :)

CN04NRJ

Established Member

I'm forever having to turn off Wi-Fi on my phone while in work just to have decent speed Internet :lol:

OmniCity999

Established Member
I'm forever having to turn off Wi-Fi on my phone while in work just to have decent speed Internet :lol:
When the B5TL's first went onto Airlink back in 2015, they didnt have a data cap - they also ran 4G.

I presume the thinking being its a premium service and passengers are only on there for a maximum 35-40 minutes.

I believe the company we use doesnt actually impose extra charges for unlimited data. They provide the access to the network, we buy the hardware then from there we just pay a monthly subscription. But we dont allow unlimited data and cap data use per passenger. Speeds are capped too!

In an ideal world, we would lift the price of a ridacard marginally and allow ridacard users unlimited data as an incentive.

In an ideal world, we would lift the price of a ridacard marginally and allow ridacard users unlimited data as an incentive.
Not sure that's justifiable. It's a bus company after all, not a broadband provider. Mobile phone coverage is quite good across the network and most journeys are quite brief. The type of passenger wanting enhanced data rates can probably make their own general arrangements rather than uplifting the Ridacard cost for all.