• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lower and lower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
A quiz by telstarbox:

Lower and Lower

Each player has to guess a station which has a lower number of entries and exits (2010-11 data) than the previous one. The start station for round 1 is London Waterloo as this has the highest number (91.75 million).​

The first round carries on until a player answers incorrectly (ie a station not lower than the previous one), then a new round starts with the busiest station not already mentioned. Players cannot state a station which has been mentioned in a previous round.​

For example:
Round 1
Start: London Waterloo
Player 1: Leeds (lower so OK)
Player 2: Tonbridge (OK)
Player 3: Marden (OK)
Player 4: Manchester Piccadilly (higher so incorrect, round ends)

Round 2
Start: London Bridge (busiest station not already mentioned)
Player 5: East Croydon (correct)
etc

The official source of the data is the Excel file accessed from
here although the figures are also available on Wikipedia.

UK Stations only - only stations is the official figures are allowed.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I assume it would be frowned upon to jump straight to a much smaller station?

Glasgow Central

telstarbox

Established Member
Other players may need to compare the two answers before theirs using Wikipedia data to ensure the second is lower than the first. Anyway:

Chinley?

Robinson

Coombe Junction Halt?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Having checked my answer, I'm wrong. 38 for Coombe in 2010/11, only 18 for Teesside Airport. Start again...

Last edited:

Trainfan344

Established Member
Bridgend
Salford Crescent

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
To discourage this, there is now a points system where you get 0 points for the starting station (Waterloo, London Bridge, etc), 1 for the first correct station, 2 for the second, etc. I'll maintain the points table in Post 2.

Hi TSB,

Sorry to be controlling, however could I temporarily suspend this? Could you run the idea through to me in detail by PM - this is to ensure that major game changes are approved before implementation. I also believe that this is maybe best left until the game is firmly off the ground.

TP

telstarbox

Established Member
Hi TSB,

Sorry to be controlling, however could I temporarily suspend this? Could you run the idea through to me in detail by PM - this is to ensure that major game changes are approved before implementation. I also believe that this is maybe best left until the game is firmly off the ground.

TP

No problem.
Woodgrange Park.

Unfortunately Woodgrange Road has a higher number than Bidston!

We start again with London Victoria. (This should have been the start station for Round 2 instead of London Bridge but never mind).

Last edited:

telstarbox

Established Member
Norwich.

...which was incorrect so start again with London Liverpool Street.

(The next few starting stations are: Charing Cross, Euston, Paddington, King's Cross, Birmingham New Street).

Status
Not open for further replies.