• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSGs Getting Out n About

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Due to a mixture of work and the Christmas and New Year shake up, its fair to say, since 2018 arrived, ive done absolutely nothing railway related in the slightest, in fact the festive period had completely swallowed my railway mojo. I think it was roughly a week into it before I identified a loco, what i could call the first sighting of the year. That dubious honours went to 91128 followed by 66745 and 66570 became the first cop of the year, as it trundled through on an Engineers train, bound for the King Eddie Bridge and Newcastle Central engineering work, should anyone really care.

I have missed a few locos i needed for sight, mainly on the Sellafield-Seaton flasks (6E44 coming and either 6M60 or 0M60 going back) but if your at work,there's nowt you can do about it, frustrating as it is, its just tough, No money=no trips out etc.
A 3rd week into January and I was on a couple of days off and whilst browsing various bits of social media, I read some gen on the days 6E44, 2 clockwork cats too and more important to me, both needed for the book of sights, so I planned a walk out the house to intercept them, on their way back to Sellafield. As i set off 325014 raced towards Tyne Yard from Craigentinny. First time ive seen one move in daylight on the ECML for a good while.

I wandered on, enjoying the fresh air, whilst checking RTT, to see how the 6M60 had progressed. I'd arrived at my intended viewing spot and had about 10mins, so I poured myself a coffee from the flask, as 142017 and 156451 passed before 88009 & 88010 duly added themselves to the book of sights, I was very happy to have roped them in. The day after I see a Donny IEP depot to Glasgow Central working on RTT and subsequent delve into finding some gen, reveals it's 800s on test and it's not 800101 thankfully. So dive minutes before it was due I walk up the street and sit on the wall, having a smoke when 800003 & 800004 whizz through. I've had 1 cop in three weeks now I've got 4 entries to the Book of Sights in 2 days. Then on that very same Evening I read 2 bits of news, firstly that there's a 67 dragging a 385 North tonight from the Hitachi plant but also the 37s on the Cumbrian Coast may well be goners by the 27th of January. However I'm told, they've a stay of execution, due to training on the 68s not being complete and for a while one turn would remain, for a while anyway. It got the cogs turning into trip mode, at long last and that evening I made a plan of sorts to get out and have a day on the rails.. Around 23.45 I walked up the street, sat on the same wall having a smoke, hearing first then seing 67002, dragging a brand new 385014 up to Craigentinny. I sauntered back down the street and went to bed.
All I need now was a days holiday for next week's plan to bear fruit. As expected my gaffer said, No problem. My railway mojo was back. Over the course of the next few days, I deliberated what to do, wether or not to involve an overnight stay or Not, that would involve going straight after work. I decided not to add the extra expense and decided an early start would suffice.
More to follow

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

noddy1878

Established Member
Look forward to hearing about it. January is the opposite for me. December (and November for that matter) were quite quiet for me and Jan means I am itching to get going! Coupled with Jan sale tickets I always hit the new year hard!

Established Member
I finished work on Wednesday and hot footed down to Central Station and got my tickets for the morning, which proved a very wise decision indeed. On Thursday I never heard my 04.30 alarm, and woke up an hour later, not the end of the world but with my train scheduled to leave at 06.46, it wasn't exactly brilliant either.

After flying round like the proverbial coloured derriered fly, doing the ablutions, throwing things in the havasack, then tear arsing up to the bus stop, the bus obliged by turning up bang on time and I was in town by 06.28, I then found out, I'd left my batteries for the Dictaphone on the kitchen table, so a quick pop into the Sainsbury's Local to get some AAA batteries and was relieved of £5.50 for the pleasure, now getting them tickets yesterday had proved a very good idea indeed. I flew through the barriers and over to Platform 7 for the 06.46 to Barhead. I nearly fainted when I saw a lone 142020, sat there but about 20yards further up the platform behind was the JockRail 156 I was expecting. Sadly it wasn't 156457 but happily it was winner 156436, so all was not lost.

I got a table seat in the rear coach 57436, no sooner had I sat down and got relatively comfortable, I thought, by its a bit nippy on here, I tell myself, it'll warm up when we get moving, that's when the guard came up and said, I'm afraid the heating's not working in this coach but your more than welcome to move to the front coach. I decided I'd stay put but by Hexham, my feet were like ice and I was shivering, as my gran used to say, like sheep ****e and razor blades, yeah, I dunno what it means either. I moved into the front coach, where it was barely tropical but it wasn't the mobile fridge, I'd been sitting in.

In the relative warmth, I checked RTT to see if the 6E44 was running, I was in luck, it was and I'd pass it at Wetheral. As we pulled into Bardon Mill, 66544 trundled through, apparently off to Tees Yard according to RTT. I scanned around to see if I could find some gen on the 6E44, I hit jackpot, so as we got into Wetheral, I was sitting in place, ready in waiting, sure enough the lead loco was 68034 and the one behind was cop
68033. So a day that had started so haphazard, was turning out quite well, with 1 winner and 1 cop and I had barely reached Carlisle.

Approaching Carlisle Station, past Wapping Sidings, where there's nowt at all to see, I remember the days when my mates and I, would have pens and notebooks ready, at times there'd be 5 or 6 locos stabled there, 37s, 25s, 26s, 27s, 31s and 47s, on rare occasions even a 40, if not there there'd be a myriad of Diesel and Electrics parked on the back wall by Platform 4. No such luxuries but there was 2 locos by the back wall. After nipping out for a quick ciggy, I made over the bridge to Platform 4, to see what was parked on the back wall and see what 37 was working the 08.38 to Barrow, I was hoping it'd be 37424/558, the only one of the KM based 37/4s I need for haulage, if it was 37424 I'd get on and go straight to Barrow, get so far back up the line and then double back, risking a potential 142 for haulage back to Barrow and get whichever 37 had worked up from Preston. In the mean time, I got a bit giddy because long time gap filler 92044 was parked next to 57311. After a quick nip to the ablutions, I awaited the 37s arrival, the way my luck was going anything was possible. However it was 37403, it looks resplendent and sounded just as good but I let it go without me, sacrilege I know
20161005_092945.jpg
and made over the bridge for the 08.50, my aim was to intercept the 10.04 off Preston, I'd do that at Lancaster, the +3, at Preston is too dangerous for me these days. Gone are the days, where my mates and I would chance +2s at Durham, scarpering off the train, through the barriers, out the station, through the tunnel, up the stairs, through the barriers and onto a waiting Liverpool turn straight back to Newcastle, it sounds a lot easier than it actually is, I couldn't do it now

I wandered over the bridge and got a coffee at the vendor by the bridge, £1.80 and very nice it was too and the woman serving is rather attractive too. I took my coffee and went outside for a ciggy and thought Christ, 2 already for the book of sights.Before I set off in the morning, I was hoping that I'd reel in maybe, 1 required cat, maybe a couple of clockwork cats and maybe a couple of track machines for the whole day if I was lucky. However I'd totally forgot about Carnforth, maybe I could snaffle a few of the West Coast coaches too.

I ambled back onto the platform and within a few minutes in rolled winner 390043, oh well, I'll take that and as we set off towards Shap, I snagged a Rail Grinder for sight in Upperby Yard too. I sat back in a table seat with a clear view out the window and let the pendo take the strain, as I looked out the window, admiring the scenery of the snow capped hills in the Lake District, as we whizzed and tilted by. In what seemed no time at all, I'm told, we're now approaching Lancaster So I gathered up my belongings and made for the door.

After a brief scan to see what was going to Morecambe, a 144(is that rare or not?) but can't remember which one, I made my way over the bridge and waited out the half an hour till the 10.25 to Barrow turned up, 90018 & 90024 shot through with a Coatbridge-Daventry modal, I tried to get a pic on my phone but it was crap, so deleted it straight after seeing the mess of it. A few units and a few pendo's trundled in and out to keep me at least semi interested. I was snapped out of a daydream when I heard a rather loud tone, I spun on my heels to see and cop, clockwork cat 88008 absolutely hammer through the middle road, presumably off to Grangemouth or Coatbridge, with a Tesco modal, I never did check RTT, to see where it was off too, even though I meant to, I was just happy to get 1 more in the bag. The 37 was the next service in, so with a few mins to spare, I dashed outside the gate for a quick ciggy, returning to see the 37 was 4 down. Hardly a disaster, in rolled, as expected 37402, I got on the front coach and as I fully expected, it was largely filled with cranks. 37402's departure showed, it was in fine form and the driver, wasn't exactly being gentle with it either, the noise was sheer bloody magic.

At Carnforth, I was primed by the door, Dictaphone at the ready to get as much of what was on view as humanly possible, clicking a whole rake of Pullmans and a few others to boot. In amongst the coaching stock, was 57006, another entry to the Book of Sights, now that was a Brucie bonus, I'd never given any thought towards of seeing any of the West Coast bodysnatchers. there was a good 10-12 locos stabled on Carnforth, the highlight being the mega conga line of 47's, albeit in that awful,maroon livery, I hate it, West Coast have got a fantastic array of traction but that livery, makes them look so bloody dull. At least 47580 was there, in her all her glory, she still looks fantastic, however, for LSG to see all them 47s, just made me smile from ear to ear anyway.

Onwards we went, its a lovely stretch this line, especially near and past Grange over Sands, the driver seemed to be enjoying himself too because in the cab of 37402, he fairly thrashed our way up to Barrow, the departure from Cark, was one of those moments, where you go, woah, listen to that man. He fairly opened the 37 up, it sounded absolutely bloody awesome. Unfortunately the hour or so passed all too quickly and it was a case of bailing at Barrow, I wasnt alone either, the majority of the front coach, departed and darted through the underpass and onto an awaiting 37403 for the journey to Carlisle.

I took my seat in the front coach and settled down, I was reading Railways Illustrated, listening to 37403 growl away up front, the realisation hit me, unless by some miracle I can get back here in a week or two(if 37424, comes out to play), then this could probably be my last mainline passenger service hauled by a class 37. It was a sombre moment, yes, 47s are my favourite locos, that's probably the worst kept secret on here but 37s are a close 2nd. Ive had some great trips behind them, in all parts of the country. Ive shared stories on here about 37289 leaving Sunderland, 37429 from Newport to Cardiff. For me, they hold a great charm, of all memorable days out bashing in my youth invariably involved 37s for haulage, somewhere along the line. I can't still believe but I'm eternally grateful, the opportunity is still here to do such a thing.
When I first started this hobby as a 6yr old kid, I'd sit on a wall, next to the now gone signal box, near where the Stadium of Light metro station is, watching with my cousins and taking down the numbers of the passing 101s and the odd freight going to Sunderland South Dock or Wearmouth Colliery. The first Diesel loco I ever saw was a 37, though I couldn't possibly tell you which one, I just remember the noise and how manky it was. and the old coal hoppers. As I got older and more into the hobby , I came to realise the 37s were the norm around the North East and when I had eventually had the pleasure of getting one for haulage, i just remember saying to my mate and his Dad, that sounded awesome, sure it was 37009 on a Scarborough-Newcastle to York and couldn't wait for the next one.
The year after and a year older, we were entrusted to fend for ourselves and we'd go chasing them ourselves. The summer timetable of 1984, we experienced frontline bashing on our own, much better than tagging the parents along, as Cal's Dad used to say, I pay, he leads the way. We'd laugh and give as much verbal back when getting tagged as insects at various locations, we didn't care. The next few years, were magical, riding round the country on various traction with your mates, having a laugh at each other's expense, arguing about peaks n duffs, getting a bit excited when we stumbled upon something NB, the master of the timetable, be it Cal or Glen, landing us on various workings, were all good fun, you may walk away from this hobby but its always in the blood.

Anyway enough day dreaming, it'll be a HUGE shame to lose the 37 turns but it's been an enjoyable experience regardless, I like 68's anyway, least its not been given back to the DMU's full stop. Anyway back to the task in hand, I was eager to see what was in Sellafield, which before I left home, I thought maybe, was a place, I had a chance to ensnare one of my required 68s, maybe even an 88, given the fact that they'd emerged on the 6E44, 2 weeks on the spin before today. As we left Seascale station i had the dictaphone primed again, 68029, 68017, 68002, 68018 and another that was behind them. Scoring 68018 was another bonus, luck is certainly on my side today. At St Bees I'm greeted by a tamper, waiting for the line out but it was surprisingly dud for sight.

At Whitehaven, the front coach is joined by 2 chavs, who's patter absolutely stank, they were gonna leave the train, as one of them was choking for a joint, he was telling his mate, let's get off man, there'll be another train in 15mins or something. I wished they had. Instead they stayed on and I found solace in Pantera, The Ramones and New Model Army this drowned their patter out. At Dalston 56078 was shunting the tanks round as we left.

After a good 2hrs we arrived back into Carlisle. I bailed and tapped the Scotty dog on the loco, as if to say many thanks and good luck. I watched 37403 push it's way out and go back off to Barrow, before I made my way off the platform for a ciggy and grab something to eat. I was a tad hungry now. I went to the chippy and got Sausage n chips and can.of coke. I had 15 or so minutes before my intended next move. So I made my way to platform 3 and ate my late lunch. Very nice it was too

So the next plan was a ride up to Dumfries, for the ride past Kingmoor, on the 15.12 to Glasgow Central, a move that at one time, would've been a 26, 27 or a Scottish 47, I'd had many 27s but sadly only 2 26s and even more 47s both NB and ETH ones, today it's in the hands of winner 156508 and unlike 156436 this morning, it was nice and toastie on here, I got a table seat very easily and sat back and got my Dictaphone at the ready, as we flew by I was rattling the numbers off, like machine gun fire and very profitable it was too, I managed to bag 4 clockwork cats for sight, my plans had certainly came together today, my errant 37/4, 37424/558, was sat on the Depot too, under my breath I said, wish you'd been out to play today.
We arrived bang on time into Dumfries, I only had 12 minutes to wait before heading back to Carlisle, I knew what was coming back, I'd seen 156512 going up earlier, so after a quick ciggy and a drink, I made my way over to the opposite platform and climbed aboard dud 156512, for the journey back over the border and a second run past Kingmoor, to see if I'd missed owt. As it happens, I had but the 2 68s were right over the back, so no chance getting them and it was just being greedy trying to get them too.

I had a bit time out off the platform, anyone who goes to Carlisle, knows it can be busy all day, then just dies a death, so I went off the station and had a ciggy and look in smiths, then jumped on the first Preston bound pendo. In hope I may find one of the NH 142s or 150s I need or a 319. May as well try. I wasn't gonna gain a lot at Carlisle. About 10mins later winner 390045 took me back over shap and in fading light off to Preston.

Preston was freezing, so I went and got a coffee, it was hot but it didn't really warm me up, as I wandered round the platforms, seeing 150122 in its GWR pyjamas was a surprise, I'd last seen it at Filton Abbey Wood, where I'd bailed off it, to catch one behind up to Newport, when I was on my FoSS, the git followed me all over on that too. There was nothing required for sight, I was hoping to get a required unit up to Lancaster but the 185s to Barrow were both dud, I was hoping there'd be a double dogbox working but nothing, all required units were off the Rover boundaries, so after an hour or so, I thought next winner Pendo, I'm outta here, still in the 10mins waiting for said Pendo, 319378 kindly arrived to add itself to the Book of Sights. Shortly after new liveried winner 390009 arrived and I jumped aboard, getting a table seat and I had an unobstructed view too. Not that I could see anything, it was pitch black now but it helped, as we pulled into Lancaster a certain carriage number on a 142, set alarm bells ringing, so I said both into the Dictaphone, then hunted for my platform 5 in the bag, I was right too, t was 142030. Just 6 more to see, then I don't have to look at them ever again.

Arriving into Carlisle I was met with 66092 on an engineers train, then 86628 and 86609 went South on a modal. I love seeing the 86s, my first ever visit to Carlisle, my mate and I went overnight, with one of my Dads friends and his mates, pairs of 86s were flying through with modals then, first ever leccys for sight, wanting 86s or 87s for haulage because they carried names, not the 81s and 85s, we kept falling on, on the staggered journey to Crewe. Funny how you think as a kid back then. The first loco I ever saw at Carlisle was non other than GD stalwart 37003, which my mate i looked af each other and went, argh man, we seen that in Tyne Yard this afternoon.

I roughly an hour to kill before the last train home, so I went to the chippy and got a chip nutty. Returning as 37403 arrived into platform.4. I watched it depart off to Kingmoor, saying my sad farewells as it left.
20180201_202811.jpg

Afterwards I left for a ciggy and returned to the bay platforms on platform.1, where I'm told by a fellow crank there's a Daventry model due, adding 88008 went up earlier today. Oh I saw that come through Lancaster this morning. Sure enough a few minutes later in rolled the Daventry modal, however it wasn't 88008 but 88006 talk about a result. I'd came out the house having only seen 3 clockwork cats, now I only need 002 to clear the 10. Shortly after 88006 departed, the crank departed over to platform 4 as a flask train was due. It duly did with 68029 and 68016 but my 156 home had arrived and i was freezing so wanted to get in the warm. The Gods mustve been smiling on me today too, lo and behold it wasn't the usual Heaton 156 but one of ANs and winner 156424 to take me back homeward.

On a nice warm train, I promptly crashed out after the grip come to check my ticket, I woke up in a blind panic wondering where the hell I was, only to find I was only just out of Bardon Mill but I felt better for the little power nap. So I decided I'd write my notes up for the day but after checking my bag, I realised I'd left my notebooks on the desk in my bedroom in the rush this morning.
After the Metrocentre I got my stuff together and prepared for bailing and try and catch the 23.05 bus home. However we got held on the King Eddie Bridge and I knew I'd miss that one but had plenty time for the last one, getting into Central for 23.07. I caught the last bus and was near home just after half past. As i walked down and under the Railway bridge I noticed, the signal was on green, so I sat on the wall and had a ciggy, wondering what was coming. I heard a loco coming up the hill from Low Fell Junction, I was expecting a Drax to Tyne Dock GB coal train, imagine my delight when I saw 67002 dragging a brand new
385123 from Hitachi's Merchant Sidings up to Craigentinny. Certainly topped what had already been a profitable day for the book of sights, not to mention a fair few winners for haulage and a good 3 n a half hours of 37 haulage.
A good day all round and not a bad start to the year.

Last edited:

noddy1878

Established Member
Very good day there! You seemed to get a lot in! The 37s are still working! Time yet to get them in again yet!!

Kite159

Veteran Member
And don't forget you can still get some 37 action in Norfolk, although that will probably be an overnight stay (or a long day going Newcastle - Peterborough/Kings Cross - Norwich - Yarmouth/Lowestoft - Norwich - Peterborough - Newcastle)

Established Member
Sounded like a productive day :)

It was indeed kite, shock of the day, winner 156s there and back.

Very good day there! You seemed to get a lot in! The 37s are still working! Time yet to get them in again yet!!

Cheers Noddy, I did cram a bit in but it was more relaxed than it sounded. I'm not exactly flush with time to get back over BUT 37424 is back out on the Cumbrian Coast, which is incredibly frustrating, I have 1 window of opportunity this Friday, if I know its definitely out, then I'm gonna go back and get it, probably just a Hadrian wall ranger. the mileage wont be massive but it'll be roped in. I'm not holding my breath though.

And don't forget you can still get some 37 action in Norfolk, although that will probably be an overnight stay (or a long day going Newcastle - Peterborough/Kings Cross - Norwich - Yarmouth/Lowestoft - Norwich - Peterborough - Newcastle)
Kite I'd love to get back there but can't see that happening anytime soon unfortunately.

Established Member
88002 eh?

I might have cabbed that inside Kingmoor Depot...:D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well I’m so completely behind with reading everyone’s trip reports that I didn’t know where to start until yours popped up.
I’m spending all my spare time doing DIY at home at the moment so not on the forum so much for a few weeks.
Really enjoyed reading that. I can only agree with the 37s, I love that noise, it’s pure heavy metal.
That looked like a really good day out to me.

Established Member
Well I’m so completely behind with reading everyone’s trip reports that I didn’t know where to start until yours popped up.
I’m spending all my spare time doing DIY at home at the moment so not on the forum so much for a few weeks.
Really enjoyed reading that. I can only agree with the 37s, I love that noise, it’s pure heavy metal.
That looked like a really good day out to me.

cheers Cowley, enjoy the DIY, when it's all done think of the browny points mate.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
cheers Cowley, enjoy the DIY, when it's all done think of the browny points mate.
You’d be proud of what I’ve done since Christmas Mickey ;)...
I’m a DIY beast!

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
^^^^ What Keith said. Nice write-up, which also reminded me of the existence of 37424. Might have to go out myself for it tomorrow, if it sticks to diagram...:)

Established Member
You’d be proud of what I’ve done since Christmas Mickey ;)...
I’m a DIY beast!
Oh you'll be extremely popular with the missus. Probably less so with the neighbours.

Mr 403 - another excellent write up. And it sounded like a grand day out too.
Thank you keith it was thank you. Thoroughly enjoyable day.
^^^^ What Keith said. Nice write-up, which also reminded me of the existence of 37424. Might have to go out myself for it tomorrow, if it sticks to diagram...:)
Thank you too Roebuck. Hope you can get it in too.

Bit of an update.
8/2/18
That window of opportunity rose today, however not without me dashing round like an idiot. School run and a pre SATS meeting with my daughters teacher, fortunately my little white lie, well big bloody lie, about having to get to work for 11am, meant I got the first meeting at 9.15, it was all good and by 9.45 I was out the school, I had to get some cash out then make my way to Central, I was pretty certain I'd easily make the 11.22 to Carlisle.
I done it with 20mins to spare, I purchased a Hadrian's Wall Day Ranger and went over and jumped on an awaiting 156481, the aim get to Carlisle for the 14.35 to Barrow and take it as far as Whitehaven, the Rangers end. Now the only gen I had was that 37402, a few had said, they thought it was the same pair as yesterday, a certain 37424/558 had been playing out behind my back but like hell could I find confirmation anywhere but I took the chance regardless, more in hope.

At Carlisle I went for a coffee n a bacon sarnie, I'd had no brekky, I was hungry and choking for a drink. The hour n a bit passed fairly quickly, a few freights came through, strangest one was 66302 and Northern Belle liveried 57312 coming through doubled headed on a ballast train. I thought to myself by 57312 on a ballast train, how the mighty has fallen. 60096 went through on the Chirk logs, is it just me or does anyone else love the smell as they go through. 5mins later 60047, albeit being dragged by 66149, they went Eastbound to Tyne Yard.
At 14.30 in rolled part 1, I knew 37402 worked the 2C32 05,15 Carlisle-Preston, so I'd soon find out what the other 37 was, well, when it pulled into the top of the station, as it bends round I was looking up the platform, checking for a Scotty Dog, I couldn't see one, so I crossed my fingers and hoped
37424.jpg
Ah get in, winner winner, chicken dinner 37424/558 had fallen, I quickly got on and listened to it thrash away from Carlisle at the window, which for now, means all the current KM 37/4s are in the bag for haulage. I got myself a seat, half way up the coach directly behind from where 424 was pushing from, as you do but could still hear it thrashing it's guts out, sounded bloody marvellous too.

Unfortunately, all too soon I was bailing at Whitehaven, I watched it disappear off in a cloud of EE growlage and departed outside for a ciggy. I had roughly 20mins before 37402 arrived, the time past relatively quickly before I saw the lights coming the tunnel and my cue to get in place for the front door.

I climbed aboard and again there's many cranks aboard. If I thought 37424 performance had been impressive, bloody hell, the driver on 37402, leaving Whitehaven the syphon just erupted, under my breath, I said, jesus, listen that, it was pure joy, he was certainly putting it through it's paces. just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did, and boy that driver, I dunno if he was was on a promise when he got home or just loves driving 37s. I can only assume adhesion to the wet rails played its part because the blood and thunder departure from Workington, was absolute hellish!!! Its a long long time, since I've heard a brute force, full on sustained growl from a 37 like that, absolutely brilliant. Even a woman with her husband, in the seats across from me said, by this ones noisy today, we must be running late, said her hubby. I just sat with a smile on my face, thinking go on son, give it some welly. Sadly I had to get off at Carlisle and again, I got another pic of 37402 and said my Farewelll to the 37.
37402 Carlisle.jpg
[I had the 18.38 to catch home back to Newcastle and now I was starving, so made off the Station for a ciggy and a visit to the Little Chippy. The Sausage and Chips, went down a treat, even more so washed down with a coffee, I was making my way over the bridge, to go and stand at the top of platform 3, when I saw a JockRail 156 in the North end bay, so I decided to spin on my heels and go check it out, as I got closer I realised it was in the Barbie livery too. As I got up to it, I saw the numbers 1 5 6 4 5, I'm stood thinking please, then I saw the 7, I just said, Yes!!!!!!!, where the f**king hell have you been hiding, 156457 has at long last fallen, my endless scouring of JockRail 156s has ended, much to mine and no doubt everyone elses delight, as it means, beyond this post, I WON'T blab on about it anymore. I went to take a pic of it for prosperity but my phone died before I could. The guard asked if I was getting on but when I said no, he got on, closed the doors and off it went. However it now means my last 2 are gonna be hard to track down. they're both with EMT, which means it could be anywhere in EMT land or anywhere between Norwich and Liverpool. I won't let that concern me for now though.

I went for a celebratory ciggy and got a cold drink for the train home, happy with my lot, even better when I finished the day with winner 156506 to take me home. At the Metrocentre I bumped into an old Railway friend, who I hadn't seen for a good while, he asked where I'd been, told him getting the 37s in before they're pulled, been chasing 37424. He told me, apparently they're not pulling them now, apparently Northern aren't too keen on the 68s and have requested to keep the 37's, adding there must be something in it too because 37407 is going up to Kingmoor next week. I just said, well that's typical, I tear arse over there, to say my fond farewell and now they're keeping them on and adding another I need to the roster. I'm told, better for us, especially when the 68s come on the TPE turns too. In fairness I couldn't argue, I have no reason to doubt said friend, I just hope the stories true.

Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Oh you'll be extremely popular with the missus. Probably less so with the neighbours.

Bit of an update.
8/2/18
That window of opportunity rose today, however not without me dashing round like an idiot. School run and a pre SATS meeting with my daughters teacher, fortunately my little white lie, well big bloody lie, about having to get to work for 11am, meant I got the first meeting at 9.15, it was all good and by 9.45 I was out the school, I had to get some cash out then make my way to Central, I was pretty certain I'd easily make the 11.22 to Carlisle.
I done it with 20mins to spare, I purchased a Hadrian's Wall Day Ranger and went over and jumped on an awaiting 156481, the aim get to Carlisle for the 14.35 to Barrow and take it as far as Whitehaven, the Rangers end. Now the only gen I had was that 37402, a few had said, they thought it was the same pair as yesterday, a certain 37424/558 had been playing out behind my back but like hell could I find confirmation anywhere but I took the chance regardless, more in hope.

At Carlisle I went for a coffee n a bacon sarnie, I'd had no brekky, I was hungry and choking for a drink. The hour n a bit passed fairly quickly, a few freights came through, strangest one was 66302 and Northern Belle liveried 57312 coming through doubled headed on a ballast train. I thought to myself by 57312 on a ballast train, how the mighty has fallen. 60096 went through on the Chirk logs, is it just me or does anyone else love the smell as they go through. 5mins later 60047, albeit being dragged by 66149, they went Eastbound to Tyne Yard.
At 14.30 in rolled part 1, I knew 37402 worked the 2C32 05,15 Carlisle-Preston, so I'd soon find out what the other 37 was, well, when it pulled into the top of the station, as it bends round I was looking up the platform, checking for a Scotty Dog, I couldn't see one, so I crossed my fingers and hoped
Ah get in, winner winner, chicken dinner 37424/558 had fallen, I quickly got on and listened to it thrash away from Carlisle at the window, which for now, means all the current KM 37/4s are in the bag for haulage. I got myself a seat, half way up the coach directly behind from where 424 was pushing from, as you do but could still hear it thrashing it's guts out, sounded bloody marvellous too.

Unfortunately, all too soon I was bailing at Whitehaven, I watched it disappear off in a cloud of EE growlage and departed outside for a ciggy. I had roughly 20mins before 37402 arrived, the time past relatively quickly before I saw the lights coming the tunnel and my cue to get in place for the front door.

I climbed aboard and again there's many cranks aboard. If I thought 37424 performance had been impressive, bloody hell, the driver on 37402, leaving Whitehaven the syphon just erupted, under my breath, I said, jesus, listen that, it was pure joy, he was certainly putting it through it's paces. just when I thought it couldn't get any better, it did, and boy that driver, I dunno if he was was on a promise when he got home or just loves driving 37s. I can only assume adhesion to the wet rails played its part because the blood and thunder departure from Workington, was absolute hellish!!! Its a long long time, since I've heard a brute force, full on sustained growl from a 37 like that, absolutely brilliant. Even a woman with her husband, in the seats across from me said, by this ones noisy today, we must be running late, said her hubby. I just sat with a smile on my face, thinking go on son, give it some welly. Sadly I had to get off at Carlisle and again, I got another pic of 37402 and said my Farewelll to the 37.
[I had the 18.38 to catch home back to Newcastle and now I was starving, so made off the Station for a ciggy and a visit to the Little Chippy. The Sausage and Chips, went down a treat, even more so washed down with a coffee, I was making my way over the bridge, to go and stand at the top of platform 3, when I saw a JockRail 156 in the North end bay, so I decided to spin on my heels and go check it out, as I got closer I realised it was in the Barbie livery too. As I got up to it, I saw the numbers 1 5 6 4 5, I'm stood thinking please, then I saw the 7, I just said, Yes!!!!!!!, where the f**king hell have you been hiding, 156457 has at long last fallen, my endless scouring of JockRail 156s has ended, much to mine and no doubt everyone elses delight, as it means, beyond this post, I WON'T blab on about it anymore. I went to take a pic of it for prosperity but my phone died before I could. The guard asked if I was getting on but when I said no, he got on, closed the doors and off it went. However it now means my last 2 are gonna be hard to track down. they're both with EMT, which means it could be anywhere in EMT land or anywhere between Norwich and Liverpool. I won't let that concern me for now though.

I went for a celebratory ciggy and got a cold drink for the train home, happy with my lot, even better when I finished the day with winner 156506 to take me home. At the Metrocentre I bumped into an old Railway friend, who I hadn't seen for a good while, he asked where I'd been, told him getting the 37s in before they're pulled, been chasing 37424. He told me, apparently they're not pulling them now, apparently Northern aren't too keen on the 68s and have requested to keep the 37's, adding there must be something in it too because 37407 is going up to Kingmoor next week. I just said, well that's typical, I tear arse over there, to say my fond farewell and now they're keeping them on and adding another I need to the roster. I'm told, better for us, especially when the 68s come on the TPE turns too. In fairness I couldn't argue, I have no reason to doubt said friend, I just hope the stories true.

Thankyou for a great little report there LSG47, you have significantly whetted my appetite for an upcoming full coast trip I have planned for late April early May. This is also seriously excellent news if the 37s are to be retained on these trains :D

noddy1878

Established Member
Nice day! Well done on the 156 too! Wish they'd make up they're mind with the 37/68s! Doesn't bother me either way but I hope when I'm up that way in March, whatever is on it runs reasonably stuck to the timetable!

Kite159

Veteran Member
Congrats on getting that 37 into your book, I gather you will be back across the western frontier if 407 starts running on the coast? [Unless DRS want to break it in gently with the gentler Anglian diagrams]

Established Member
Thankyou for a great little report there LSG47, you have significantly whetted my appetite for an upcoming full coast trip I have planned for late April early May. This is also seriously excellent news if the 37s are to be retained on these trains :D
Thank you ash, very kind words. Hope we all.get our wish and the 37s remain on the Cumbrian Coast turns. If they do and 37407 returns, then Northern will be rubbing their hands. Not be long before your sampling them for yourself.
Congrats on 37424, which also entered my moves list about three hours ago...:)
Good man Roebuck, was 37402 still out too? Thanks for your kind words too. Hope you've had a profitable day too.
Nice day! Well done on the 156 too! Wish they'd make up they're mind with the 37/68s! Doesn't bother me either way but I hope when I'm up that way in March, whatever is on it runs reasonably stuck to the timetable!
Cheers for the kind words too noddy, Getting the 156 just topped 2 excellent trips to Cumbria.
I've been extremely lucky that they've always ran pretty much to time or never failed on the day and looking at how many folk are riding on them, Cumbrian Ranger sales must be doing well too. Think it's fair to say, both on the Cumbria and Anglia turns, The 37s seem to be box office at the moment. Would replacing them with the Cats be a wise choice? I like the Cats but over a 37, for this sentimental old fart, long may they continue. Especially if they give the performances ive had with.them over the last couple of trips.

Established Member
Great stuff as usual.
Congratulations on getting 37424.
I have some good memories of that beast, thrashing up the incline out of Glasgow Queen Street.
The idea of 68s on the coast seems to have been put on the backburner, so the 37s will be around for a while yet.
I'm sure 45135 and I will be paying a visit to the line soon, fingers crossed 424 will be out that day - I last had it, from Edinburgh to Fort William, on the 23rd of September 1997, so I'm about due a reunion :)

Tringonometry

Bit of an update.
8/2/18

402 *is* v noisy. 424 is quiet. Both pull pretty well. Neither of them are quite as good as 425.

D841 Roebuck

Established Member
That's the noisiest I've heard 37402 on the Cumbrian Coast. 37409 was brilliant when I had it a while back but that departure from Workington blew 409 out the water. 37419 was immense in Anglia too.
Doesn't beat 37175 spouting flames up the West Highland in June '85, though...:E

Keith Jarrett

Excellent read as usual. All this talk of noisy 37s simply sends me into reminiscence mode. Two stand out way above any others. 37242 on a return railtour from Gloucester to Bristol on load 13 . Must have woken up half of south Gloucestershire that night. Basically left Gloucester with the power handle wide open and only shut off for the curve at Westerleigh Junction. Then a year or two later when Peascliffe Tunnel was shut, all the East Coast overnights were going round the joint line. I boarded one of the up mail/sleeper trains at Sleaford (vice Grantham stop) with a steaming 40 only for it to expire within seconds of leaving. Only available loco was 37106 GD xb freshly off works. Again, everyone within a couple of miles of the railway had a rude awakening with 106 dragging a dead 40 and load 14 across the Lincolnshire flatlands. It was supposed to come off at Peterborough but all that was on offer was a solitary 31 so right away to the Cross having left the dead 40 at Peterborough. Seemed as if the loco was on full power until well after Finsbury Park - I was in the fourth coach and it sounded more like the front coach ....

Established Member
Doesn't beat 37175 spouting flames up the West Highland in June '85, though...:E
Ah Mr Jarrett, I love your reminisces, 37106 a lovely NB beast to boot. Sounded like great fun indeed.
Mr Roebuck that seems like great fun too. . Still mine was 37289 a real CF beast, domino headbox, rare as hens teeth in the North East, load 10 and an enthusiastic driver. A basher at nigh on every window. The volcanic eruption of EE engines, reverberated off the underground station walls, earning a hearty cheer from the cranks at the windows and leaving all those left on the platforms of Sunderland station with a thick blue hue to contend with, whilst we all laughed, only realising when we came out into the daylight, that the coaches were full.of that very same blue hue too.

Established Member
I had a few of the GD generators like that, when they named the first 5, day after they'd been named them they'd be back on the Liverpool or Poole turns. 47408 readily springs to mind too, named David Lloyd George, it was immaculate, like you said, you could smell the paint, white tyres too. When it pulled round by the Castle Keep, we thought it was a Stratford 47.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
All this talk of 37s is making me want to get up there again. There’s a few 37/4s I need up there and the fact that they’ve had a stay of execution makes me feel that I’d better take the opportunity.
Excellent read as always.

Established Member
Keith - that 37106 story has made me go weak at the knees :)
That was one that I never had, so jealousy is my second emotional response.

Status
Not open for further replies.