• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSGs Getting Out n About

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Definitely a good start to the adventure there! Nice work with getting a 68 in, I had one recently but try as I might I got no proper sound in off it until after I got off the train. It's just not cricket without the droplights, and anyone who's sampled a 68 from the vestibule immediately behind a 68 going out of Marylebone, on the old MK3s with droplights, will no doubt tell you the same. It's still nice to have 68s, but it's just not the same.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
Part 2
Its Gala Time! !!

Now i must confess, I've been looking forward to this since, I saw the date and the guest locos being added to the roster. My hunch of the 20's guesting from LSL being duds 20096 and 20107, were confirmed but it didnt put me off. Then telling the other half, the slightly bad news about the 20s, I'm met by, well that's fine by me because I need them for haulage I apologised for beiing selfish. Then 56006 not being fit enough was a bit of a downer too but the owners are probably more disappointed, as they will no doubt be pulling out cash they could probably use elsewhere to fix it. Sadly that's twice its had to pulled on my visits, not that I need one, it just gives me an excuse to return again to come and get it.

On reading the allocations, I was disappointed to see D5054 being only available on Brake Van rides on the Thursday, it's not the end of the world but the 24 now falls into the same bracket as 56006. All that aside, I still couldnt wait to ride behind some classic traction. 37703, 40145, and 60046 would be the red penners and 68031 was an all round winner no less.

The alarm goes off at 6am and I'm up and out of bed, the other half looks at me from her slumber, with a look that just echoes, Are you for F#$!$@g Realo_OLooking for house points I put the kettle on and make us a coffee, forgetting she has tea when she gets up. Oh well, sorry love I forgot seems to be enough, to calm the rather groggy waters. I then disappear outside for a ciggy. Sadly the coffee is ruined by them putrid UHT milk cartons. After weve both showered packed the bags, we head down for Breakfast and a decent cuppa. I ask the reception if it's ok to leave the car here, till around 7pm tonight, despite checking out and the reply was, Yeah no problem, which saves time looking for somewhere to park. The breakfast was beautiful and we were full to the gunnels. Just after 8, we ordered a taxi and we're off.

Around 8.15 I'm stood outside the ELR awaiting a certain Mr Train, who's joining us today. Not long after he comes into view and we all walk down onto the Platform to be greeted by Jock Rail beastie 47765. As is the norm when I'm within touching distance of a 47, I plant a kiss on it. 20220630_092933.jpg
What a way to start proceedings. Ever the professional, Mr Train, has devised a plan to get almost everything in and that's the plan for the day. Clever lad is Mr Train.

To say 47765 gave a spirited display up to Ransbottom, was slightly under egging it. She was in fine form and I was loving every minute of some tremendous 47 thrash and the noise through Sommerseat Tunnel, was just the job to blow away any early morning cob webs.

Sadly we have to bail at Ramsbottom but the next on offer, is no less a mean machine D345. One of my biggest regrets was not being old enough to regularly have the chance to see a lot of 40s, nevermind travel behind them. By the time o was upwardly mobile on the rails, the 40s were safly being withdrawn at an alarming rate. Only D200, 40013 and 40015 were the only ones I had on the mainline. If you haven't read Mr xots, fantastic, back in the day thread, I urge you all too. Some of the guys travails are eye watering, their tales of riding the 40s, gives me, mega move envy. I firmly believe the Deltics, 37s and 40s, in no particular order, they must be the top 3 of the most popular locos ever introduced in the UK. However I digress.

As expected D345 has a mega crowd on board but what a noise it made up to Rawtenstall. Some Classic EE thrash was a good way to follow on from 47765. The little trick to vacate to the back coach, allowed us to get prime seats/windows for the trip back down to Ramsbottom. Again D345 didnt disappoint, however folk have cottoned on to this little trick now. However it was time to bail D345 at Ramsbottom.
20220630_103342.jpg
The next move involved D8096 or 20096 in old money double headed with D9531. We got a seat mid train and even from where we sat, the Chopper and Teddy combo provided some rather relentless thrash all the way to Rawtenstall. That must've been quite a fantastic listen at the drop light window. At Rawtenstall Mr Train and I got off to get a pic of the 20 and readily agreed that was some performance by those driving the locos. The journey back downhill was almost as good when the driver got the chance to pull back the power handle. Not a bad start to this20220630_105528.jpg
Gala so far.

Back at Bolton Street theres more EE fun awaiting us. 50015 may need a new coat and new knickers cos the one shes wearing may look clapped out but by, they must be cosy, cos she certainly retains her charm and can excite when it matters. Anyhow who's gonna pay for her new clobber. No sooner had we left Bolton street when she excited all aboard, when she opened her throat and let rip, more classic EE Type noise, the thrash up to and through Sommerseat Tunnel, areverberated round the walls and in through the windows, leading to all 3 of us to purse our lips in admiration. It was a shame to leave her at Ramsbottom but I gave her an admiring pat and thanked her as I walked past. Aye, you've still got it pet.
20190704_201137.jpg
It was over the bridge and onto another one of guests. I had this wee beasty at the KWVR and she was popular there and judging by today, her popularity hasnt waned any. Albeit downhill it was another fine performance by the McRat. 26007 looks quite stunning in the red stripe rail freight grey livery. Those glorious sulzer tones strumming like hell in the Lancashire sun and its Jock Rail compatriot 47765 on the tail. Takes you back to Waverley in the mid to late 80s. Haymarket leaps or a trip to the Kingdom of Fife with a little sulzer and about 5 coaches at the droplight. Ah the memories.

Now for the red pen event of the day and 60046. Now I'm not hater of the Tugs, this DCR Liveried tug looks aesthetically pleasing. It was required and a massive bonus for me. Those at the ELR do a magnificent job, getting locos like this to the Gala. Yes there is a but sadly, having had 60100 a while back st the SVR Diesel Gala. I have to say I was disappointed then and expressed my concerns to Mr Train about that time I was behind 60100. Sadly 60046 merely confirmed my fears. The run from Bolton Street to Rawtenstall was far from exciting noise wise. I may sound ungrateful, trust me I'm not. I'm extremely grateful for the chance to ride behind it but noise wise, was like riding behind a big coffee preculator.
20220703_022857.jpg
It didnt detract from what so far has been a great day. The other half and I were gonna go up and down with it but we bailed at Ramsbottom with Mr Train. I'm glad we did too.

Off we trooped across the bridge at Ramsbottom to await our next steeds. 33109 and 26007 duly arrived. Mr Train kindly offered me the droplight while he got the next window along in the compartment coach. Hes tall enough to stick his head out of those ones? I'm not. I did ask if he was sure but he insisted. The other half took a seat in a compartment with a couple. I did offer them ear plugs but I think they just survived without them for the trip to Rawtenstall. The 33/26 combo were superb, the highlight of the day for me. Yes better than the 47 and the 20/D9531 combo too. What a racket they made and a stark contrast to what we'd bailed off. It was pure bliss, getting whatever crap was coming out the exhausts in my face and what hair that vaguely hangs round the top of my head these days. A Diesel Galas not a Gala unless you go home stinking of Diesel fumes. What a stonking performance they put on. Sadly it was over too quickly, do Mr Train and I belted out the door to get a quick shot of the locos before everyone trundled down to do so themselves.20220630_144617.jpg
Afterwards we trundled down the platform to get a shot with the 26 leading, only I'd forgot there was a Wagon on t'other end. If you like wagons then I dont have a problem. This my third time af the ELR and I've managed to stay clear of it, till now.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
By some way that is the most entertaining read of a gala day I've seen in a long time! Certainly the excitement, the joy and the doubtless huge grins when the locos got opened up came through well there. 50015, I have had it only once on my only ELR gala so far, years ago but she sounded amazing back then and I am glad to hear she still does.

40145 looks amazing in that green livery, I will always remember it in blue from when I had it way back in 2007, a shade over 15 years ago to the day actually. I think in celebration of this (22/23 June 2007, just checked) then I've simply got to play my videos on YouTube from that tour! Oh my the racket from 40145 has me grinning like a Cheshire Cat! :D Shameless plug of said video:

For good measure, the second part:

My video making skills are a bit better than they were 15 years ago, but it's the 40 noise that matters :lol:

While I enjoy some nostalgia in the background, regarding the 60, I have to make a similar observation. They're excellent to have the opportunity to enjoy, but I found similar with 88003 on that gala at the SVR a few years back. It was incredibly dull. 60s, for me the best way to enjoy them is to observe them doing their thing on heavy freights. The likes of hauling heavy biomass trains, or even better in my experience a loaded tanker train, is what 60s do best and where they really impress. The deep roar as they open up and really get going on the huge loads, especially on the approach to a big gradient or away from a signal stop, phwoar! A 60 at low speed on a small passenger load, well it's just not cricket!

Established Member
Part 3
Its Gala Time !! continued

Now I'm stuck with having a ride behind it. I'd be lying trying to tell you when k last had a wagon for haulage. My old school mate Cal loved em, so we always managed to fall on them when out bashing back in the 80s. I had many a begrudging red pen under a fair amount of them too. 45108 was certainly dud for haulage. However, what I will say those who look after it, are doing a grand job looking after it because its immaculate and for that I took a pic for them, they deserve it, whether I like 20220630_144710.jpg45s or not those people looking after 45108 your doing a cracking job. You can tell it's a real labour of love. So for those of you who do love a wagon. There you go. I returned to the very back coach and probably grumbled about it all the way back to Ramsbottom.

Next up had the other half positively beaming in excitement. Me too if totally honest, who doesnt like a 37 for haulage, even better if its a winner too. 37703 was one of the big draws of the Gala for me. As 37067 it's a dud. Mr xot will tell me better but I'm sure it surfaced on the Yarmoth or Scarborough summer timetable turns. The Yarmouth seems to ring bells for me. Maybe it's just me but does 37703 look quite shocked to see a McRat this far South or have I just lost the plot.
20220630_152327.jpg
I jumped aboard and secured a window for the other half, while I had a seat. In true 37 fashion, 37703 growled and snarled her way up the hill to Rawtenstall. Sounded bloody good too. At Rawtenstall I ask madame, if she liked that. Bloody brilliant she says, I even done my own private flail, just to myself though. At Rawtenstall, the little star got the pies and coffee in. We were feeling a tad parky by now and boy did they hit the spot.
20220630_154714.jpg
We took our seats and let 37703 rumble and growl while we listened to its glorious symphony via the open window till we left it again at Ramsbottom for the new kid on the block 68031 and a winner for everything for me. We were nearer the back than the front and that's even afrer loads got off to partake in a bit more of 37703 but so be it. Sadly this was the last run of the day, 68031 was to go to Rawtenstall and go non stop back to Bolton St non stop. Not a bad way to end I thought. Despite being in the 2nd to last coach 68031 didnt disappoint, as we fairly thundered up the hill. Felix you done a grand job.
20220630_165454.jpg
Sadly this was the last run now. Well I thought it was until Mr Train informed me, he'd heard a few had requested stopping at Ramsbottom so they could do the last turn of the day. The shunter move back to Bolton St. Mr Train asked if I was up for it. If the 68 stops then yeah definitely was my reply. The other half said you's do it. I will stay on here and meet you at Bury. Till then we enjoyed those Moggy engines thrash their way back down the hill. Just outside Ramsbottom, I didnt think we were gonna stop but stop we did.

For the first time today, we had a bit of leisure time, waiting for the shunters to appear. So we wandered down the platform beside the 68. Noticing an LO, Longsight shed sticker on one end and a BQ Bury one at the other end. The driver saying when this gets back to Crewe or Kingmoor I bet it doesnt have either of them stickers on it. Also visible were 2 massive drones filming the action.

Mr Train and I went to get a coffee as the shunters came in. Thanks to the two blokes buying ice creams, one with his card, we still havent had that coffee yet. We gave up and jumped aboard winners 09024 and all round winner D2062. Real firsts for me. First time having both an 09 and 03, especially together. I've had a few shunters for haulage at Carlisle and a couple of other places shunting stock around but they were 08's. Im normally too busy chasing the big stuff to ride behind the rods at Galas. Maybe this has opened my eyes to it now. So this was a mega bonus indeed. The slow amble back to Bury Street was a perfect way to finish what's been an absolute cracking day.20220630_172902.jpg20220630_175619.jpg
Arriving back into Bury Bolton Street, Mr Train and I clambered off gkr the obligatory photos of what we've just experienced. Then we both wander towards the exit to find the other half. She tells us 68031 through Sommerseat Tunnel was absolutely brilliant. Shes even said, she would definitely go back and that she thoroughly enjoyed herself.

However one thing we desperately needed was food. Sadly we had to say goodbye to Mr Train, who's company was as usual excellent. We had some great laughs and his plan for the day worked a treat. A massive thank you and a pleasure to share the day with you mate. As he wandered off we dived in a take away, sat down and got a pizza. After that we got on a taxi back to the hotel car park. Jumped in the car, pointed it homewards, blasted some music and were home by half 9 ish. Knackered, stinking of Diesel fumes but big grins on our faces. What a day that was. Those at the ELR, You knocked it out the park again. Thank you for an excellent Gala again.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Clearly an amazing time! I can only imagine the joy that 37 would have brought, it's been too long since I last had a 37 so I'd have been as close to a window for it as possible all the way! Another great read!

xotGD

Established Member
A great read, as ever. It sounds like the three of you had a grand day out.

According to the 37 gen site, 37067 worked the ex-Paignton from Sheffield to the Toon on 29/9/84 and a Scarbados - Edinburgh relief on 20/7/85, so I'm guessing you had it on one of those. I didn't, so it was a red pen moment for me yesterday!

Established Member
By some way that is the most entertaining read of a gala day I've seen in a long time! Certainly the excitement, the joy and the doubtless huge grins when the locos got opened up came through well there. 50015, I have had it only once on my only ELR gala so far, years ago but she sounded amazing back then and I am glad to hear she still does.

40145 looks amazing in that green livery, I will always remember it in blue from when I had it way back in 2007, a shade over 15 years ago to the day actually. I think in celebration of this (22/23 June 2007, just checked) then I've simply got to play my videos on YouTube from that tour! Oh my the racket from 40145 has me grinning like a Cheshire Cat! :D Shameless plug of said video:

For good measure, the second part:

My video making skills are a bit better than they were 15 years ago, but it's the 40 noise that matters :lol:

While I enjoy some nostalgia in the background, regarding the 60, I have to make a similar observation. They're excellent to have the opportunity to enjoy, but I found similar with 88003 on that gala at the SVR a few years back. It was incredibly dull. 60s, for me the best way to enjoy them is to observe them doing their thing on heavy freights. The likes of hauling heavy biomass trains, or even better in my experience a loaded tanker train, is what 60s do best and where they really impress. The deep roar as they open up and really get going on the huge loads, especially on the approach to a big gradient or away from a signal stop, phwoar! A 60 at low speed on a small passenger load, well it's just not cricket!
Some videos them. 40145 certainly giving it big licks there bud. I totally concur with the sentiments on the 60s tech. However I will say, whoever organises getting them there, deserves a massive pat on the back. Noise wise, ok not the greatest but the chance to ride behind them is excellent. 60046 appearance probably put a few bums on seats too.
Clearly an amazing time! I can only imagine the joy that 37 would have brought, it's been too long since I last had a 37 so I'd have been as close to a window for it as possible all the way! Another great read!
Get the bike out and get yourself looking for some 37 action lad. Your missing out mate. Thanks for the kind words Tech. Very much appreciated mate.

Established Member
A great read, as ever. It sounds like the three of you had a grand day out.

According to the 37 gen site, 37067 worked the ex-Paignton from Sheffield to the Toon on 29/9/84 and a Scarbados - Edinburgh relief on 20/7/85, so I'm guessing you had it on one of those. I didn't, so it was a red pen moment for me yesterday!
Mr Xot I knew you'd come up trumps, so it was the Scarborough turn eh. Christ almighty that was 37 yr ago.
Yeah it was an excellent day mate. Thoroughly enjoyable. I'm sure you had just as good a day yesterday. Thanks for the kind words too.

The_Train

Established Member
A superb write up of the fantastic Gala Day @47403 - made the differing emotions we went through with the different locos come to life :)

It was a great day, and always a pleasure to spend a day with you two :) already looking forward to the next opportunity to catch up with you both!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Love it. :) It’s such a great line and they know how to entertain up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.