• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LSGs Getting Out n About

Status
Not open for further replies.

noddy1878

Established Member
I've not posted on the forums for absolutely ages but felt I needed to post here. Great to read your reports once again. I've dipped in and out of the forums in the last few years and rarely post. Seems to have got more toxic in the last few years.

My interest hasn't wained much but a little one and the pandemic has halted me doing much getting away, but I really want to get out after reading that. Great read and glad to see you're enjoying it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Wheyyy one hell of a good day out lad! It's great to see you back posting reports.

My interest has remained fairly strong, pauses due to covid aside. I've also moved back to Yorkshire, so spins out for a required haulage (like the 195 I've nipped out to snipe) are within easier reach...and usually cheaper!

Established Member
Imagine the damage you could do on a 4 in 8 Freedom of the North East. If you can muster the energy, that red pen would be in flames. Many thanks for the kind words Tech.
I've not posted on the forums for absolutely ages but felt I needed to post here. Great to read your reports once again. I've dipped in and out of the forums in the last few years and rarely post. Seems to have got more toxic in the last few years.

My interest hasn't wained much but a little one and the pandemic has halted me doing much getting away, but I really want to get out after reading that. Great read and glad to see you're enjoying it.
Welcome back Noddy If I can inspire anyone to just go out and enjoy themselves then that's fine by me. However having the nipper kinda puts things on the back burner, got the tshirt, still wearing it, even though mines 14 now. Just gets more expensive Noddy. Thanks for the kind words bud.
Wheyyy one hell of a good day out lad! It's great to see you back posting reports.

My interest has remained fairly strong, pauses due to covid aside. I've also moved back to Yorkshire, so spins out for a required haulage (like the 195 I've nipped out to snipe) are within easier reach...and usually cheaper!
Good to hear from you Richard, thanks for the kind words. Back in Yorkshire. Your in a good position there. Between York Leeds, Sheffield and Doncaster, you can make hay.

The_Train

Established Member
LSG Returns..
(getting back into the game again)

Well Hello there, sorry this trip reports a bit late but Railways died on their backside for a bit with me, I've had a few issues, I won't bore you all with details, I think it's fair to say, throughout this pandemic, we've all had our fair share of the brown stuff. I just hope everyone's OK and with restrictions eased I sincerely hope, everyone's making the most of it too.

One thing that the pandemic brought was everyone going for walks, a mate of mine, is a very outdoors type and also excellent at finding places to go walking, he's an old railway crank from the 70s, so he introduced my girlfriend and I to some walks that were old railway lines in the North East. Bowes Railway, Tanfield, the sight were the Stella Power Station used to be, now Blaydon Burn. My personal fave was one at Derwentwaugh, a mere 15mins from my house by car. Its where the Railway ran up to Consett from Swalwell. One of the former platforms at Swalwell Station platform is still visible although largely overgrown but as you wander on you come to what was Lintz Green Station, both platforms can be walked on, as can the footbridge that links them. I had to, just to say I had a shack, that maybe a few of you Shack-aholics hadn't.

As you walk further to the viaducts, there's a stunning view from them to the rolling hills and where you can freely watch Buzzards and Red Kites going about there daily business. If your into your walking and in the area give it a visit.

However the girlfriend and I were having an afternoon stroll from Dunston past the Staithes, and along by the Tyne, towards the Millennium bridge. We were seeing the Azumas, Voyagers and Novas going over the King Eddie Bridge, when my girlfriend said I wonder where they've been or going? She was quite shocked when I told her where they'd likely to be have been or going to. How do you know that, I'm asked, this turned into a tale of my love of railways past. A walk to Tyne Yard, saw me actually stand on the bridge for the first time in years, largely recounting the many hours, I'd stood on this bridge, overlooking the yard, with mine and other friends parents, to the days I was old enough to go with just with mates, where we'd stand and take piss out of each other for the duration, occasionally we'd try planning trips.

I stood there with a smile, as I told my girlfriend, we must've sickened that foreman, with the words, can we go and get the locos off the stabling point or Any chance of a TOPS Reports. Sadly Tyne Yard was dead, as a door nail, today there's only a 325 and a handful of new Azumas caged off at the bottom of the yard and a Hull trains version stood nearest the Bridge and a Voyager was stood in the fueler.

Christ Almighty, How the mighty (to me, at least) had fallen. Even the Blunts(91s) had gone and they're relatively new, this place used to have its own gronks at one point. Not even a slight whiff of a 31, 37, 47 or 56, even the newer 60s and 66s have abandoned the place. I find it devastating to see it this way because Tyne Yard holds a big place in my heart, always will too.

Why don't you take it up again, I was asked, it'll do you the world of good, it seems like it's never left you, be good for you, an escape, if you don't mind I can come with you, I won't be buying a book or nowt though. So I thought, OK why not, a few weeks later, the weather was alright, one Evening we drove down to Plawsworth, which is between Chester Le Street and Durham Station. Its a bit out the way but its a lovely spot, dead quiet, its dead peaceful, odd bit of wildlife, I even copped a stoat for sight there the other week, never saw a stoat in the wild before. If you like your own space, there's plenty birdsong to listen to, accompany you, whilst collecting your thoughts and train numbers. We'll it would be but for the fact, I'm getting a million and one questions and what's next:D

Standing on the bridge overlooking the lines, trying to get the numbers on the Azumas going North was erm fun. Did I say fun, I meant frustrating. The other side of the bridge the vegetation makes it hard to see them approaching said bridge but the other side, is OK for Southbound stuff, Northbound not impossible but if you factor in a) my eyesight is crap nowadays b) I've been out the loop for catching train numbers at speed and c) the angle your looking from and they're going away from you. Left us looking at each other asking, did you get that. Eventually I sussed it but the other half didn't, still hasn't either. Luckily 66021 went through South at a fairly pedestrian pace with the Jarrow Tanks, even she got that number, light engine 66848 trundled South to Donny from Millerhill, another my other half proudly proclaimed she'd got the number of. Shortly after that 57313 and 57314 came through on a Northern Belle. I was more interested in the locos they were not the abominations they are now, in fact if I'd had a dictaphone the coaching stock would've been more appealing. After 66109 went through with the Tees to Mossend intermodal, we took off home, now I had seen some of what I call the new stuff but not loads, so I did wonder how many 'the book of sights' (copyright owned by kite) would benefit from tonight's sojourn out. As it turned out I ended up underlining about half the Azumas and TPE Novas, we'd seen. Much to my shock, the other half said, that was enjoyable, I'm crap at getting the numbers though.

View attachment 100142
So roughly twice a week we have a trundle to a spot near King Edward Bridge Junction and watch stuff go by for a couple of hours at most. I've done quite OK roping in these new trains. The other half has now adopted nicknames for the 156s and 158s, they're simply flat faces to her. An Evening trip out to Eaglescliffe too, was a fairly decent evening out, OK the NREA was never threatened but there was a good 5 or 6 freights came through in the couple of hours we were there. In fact as we got into the car park, we were bowled on the bin liner train, which had 66027(thanks to the Jonathon on the TOPS thread for that) by double Tugs 60001 and 60039
View attachment 100144

As happens, you get back into this hobby, the urge to travel overtakes you. The car will get ditched for the day as the train will take the strain. So after a good butchers in the NREA and decide what needs scratching, I'm left to my own devices to organise a North East Round Robin with a couple of add on's. It also gave me a chance to try out what these Azumas and Novas are about. Which is where I will leave this and do the next installment very soon.

Apologies that it has taken me so long to start to catch up on your new escapades mate, but I am finally getting around to it.
Was great to hear from you again and even greater to hear that you'd got that buzz back to get out and about! Your gf deserves so much credit as well, not only was it a great suggestion for you to get out and do something you love but also that she has decided to engross herself into the hobby so you can do it as a pair. Love that!

Some great shots of the sheds in this, especially the one of 117. You're very lucky to have some amazing lineside locations up in your neck of the woods.

LSGsTheNewAgeTraveller....

So the day arrived, the chance to sample some new rides, armed with the tickets we'd bought the day before, we landed in Toon and hour before the Rovers began, we sought the breakfast of Champions, coffee and bacon sarnies at Greggs. I had a quick tab then proceeded towards the platforms, the stock might be all change round here but our Rovers failed to open the Barriers, so I guess it's nice to see some things never change. o_O

We make our way to the North end of Platform 3 and find there's a Nova parked on platform 5, even better, its one of the 4, I need for sight 802214 now that's not a bad way to start the day. Well I thought so at least.
View attachment 100212
I checked realtime trains and saw the Donny to Millerhill was due in at 09.15 and if we were lucky we may see the Tyne Dock to Lynemouth biomass working that was due around the same time as we were due to leave on the 09.30. The Aberdeen working produced another new sighting in the form of 801224 no sooner had that departed,, when 70808 came through with the Donny to Millerhill. I might be wrong but without checking I more than positive that's every one of the Colas 70's I've seen in the North East now.
View attachment 100213
A mere 5mins later, in came our steed for the trip to York, a winner, obviously but 800104 lent itself for my maiden voyage on an Azuma. It still smelt new, whether that was just the alcohol rubs used by cleaners I'm not sure. They're airy enough and the air con was working well but was I impressed, sadly not, I felt a little let down, I was expecting a bit more rapid acceleration, maybe the acceleration is generally smoother, gets there quicker without you feeling it, maybe I'm used to blunts and zings, where you generally feel the pull as they accelerate. Maybe they're more rapid South of York, Who knows but they do run fairly smooth.

At Darlo, I'm greetedby another for the book of sights in 801229 and whilst looking to see if there was a tamper or roble in the Engineers siding, I'm startled by 66790, on the opposite side I was looking, if truth be told I nearly missed it too, Oooh a GB Shed cop, it's been a bloody long while since I had one of those, there maybe no tamper or roble but 66790 was certainly more well received by yours truly.

As we pull in towards York Yard I did click a tamper DR73113 took the cops up and at York I knew there was at least 1 more waiting for me, however a support coach outside the NRM was added to the list too, as it resided with a first gen DMU, 09107 and a rather big maroon water boiler in the shape of 4562. At York we're off 800104 and walking up to the TPE end of the platform. In the bay I'm met by a loco I expected to see and add to the cops list. 68030 looks resplendent in the TPE Livery, I just wish these Cats had a yellow nose. I think it would make them look even better. View attachment 100215

A short walk up the platform to 68029 forming the 11.00 to Scarborough, sadly its not a cop but it is a winner in the haulage stakes, further more the full rake of coaching stock is required for sight too. After a few pics we cambered aboard and found a table seat on the left hand side, so I could see the comings and goings as we waited for the off. 801216 duly obliged my NREA before 37402 came past us light engine and growled off in the general direction we'd be heading too. I scanned real-time trains and saw it was on a York Parcel Sidings and back via the Yorkshire Coast. A couple of mins later 68029 opened its lungs for a bit and we were off to Scarborough, a station i haven't visited since locos were replaced by units, I've had a multitude of traction on this line. 31s, 37s, 45s, 46s and 47s were all frequent visitors with me onboard. The place was a hive of rare NB locos during the summer timetables in the 80s but the Liverpool Scarborough turns could throw up a few things in its day.

We were 5 late into Scarborough, nothing really, we had plenty time but I was more than happy I'd sampled more Cat mileage again. I was smiling like a Yorkshire Cat, even more so when I got off the stock to this fine beast awaiting me to say Hello.
View attachment 100217
I couldn't actually give you a date when I last saw a 37 here, granted I don't come here very often but I'm talking decades not years. T'other half, as they say in this neck of the woods, loves the 37, the Scotty dog on the side got her seal of approval too. She even liked the sound as it growled off but blotted her copy book by saying, they look like sad puppy dogs. In fairness to her she went for the coffees and brought a bar of dairy milk to accompany it, partially forgiven, for the puppy dog remark while I went for a ciggy. Oh I forgot to tell you 68020 was at Scarborough too, it and its coaching stock were added to the cops list and even better 68020 was working the 12. 33 back to York. Whey Hey ya beauty more Cat mileage and an all round winner to boot. Happy Days. The guard came round and she said, you didn't stay long, did you only come for fish n chips? No I'm here for the Cats. The Cats, you bought a cat? no the locos on the trains, they're nicknamed cats. They resemble Cats if you look but they're nicknamed more because of their caterpillar engines. Oh OK was her reply.

View attachment 100218

Back at York, we had a bit of a sit down, much to my shock the poor girlfriend said, they're nice trains them trains that go to Scarborough, I enjoyed that. I felt like saying, they're much better on the Fife Circle thrashing through the tunnels at Waverley, with your head out the Droplight window but I guessed that would be too much info to bring to the party for time being.

Where next I'm asked, Leeds I think we'll try one of them TPE Novas for haulage, we'll see what they're like. Oh is there anything special at Leeds? More new units, I ain't seen any of the Diesel or Electric ones, so I'm hunting them down. Oh so you get to see more. Are they like them snake ones too(the Azumas and Novas look like snakes)? Snake ones, OK, well there maybe some of them there too yes but the ones I'm after are a bit like modern flat faces., God you've even got me saying flat faces now. :D o_O

To be continued......................
I've still got to read the Leeds part but this seemed like a quality time out. Your local may not offer what it once did, but at least you still get plenty of variety up there. I also opened up my account of Azuma haulage recently with a Donny-Grantham run followed the next day by a Donny-Peterborough jaunt and I have to be honest they did exceed my expectations (albeit my expectations were quite low). The acceleration seemed quite nippy but as you say I think that smoothness takes something away from it, certainly compared to loco hauled where you feel every mph increase. The seats were certainly better than the GWR variant and the whole thing was helped by the at seat service on offer :D

What I haven't yet done is sample the TPE cats, and that is something that I definitely need to rectify. I've done the Chilterns and that is fun through the Snow Hill tunnels when on the Kidderminster turn but I imagine the journey out of York to be a spectacular one - especially across the bridge! Great to see that you enjoyed them although I'd recommend a few hours in Scarborough next time - I was impressed with the place when I last visited a few years back!

And my final thing to say on this is that photo of 37402 is a truly superb shot :D

I will look forward to reading the Leeds leg later!

The_Train

Established Member
Wow very kind words Nick. I do.try to be hospitable when any of the railway fraternity off here visit my neck of the woods or offer any Pearl's of wisdom to those planning to come here. I think Techniquest, Blindtraveller and Mr Train might just vouch for me on that front. I also had the pleasure of meeting young Quinn and his Dad in the Midlands. Who's hospitality was greatly recieved by me at the time. I hope to meet many more folk in the years to come too.
Mr xot thank you for your kind words too, your not wrong there mate. Getting out again and enjoying it is part n parcel in whichever branch of this hobby floats your boat.
You couldn't have been any more hospitable when I visited the North East - coffee and cheese scones delivered to the platform for me cannot be bettered :D My visit to Newcastle still remains one of my favourite trips, and I still have a photo from that day as the wallpaper on my phone :) Everyone I met that day was fantastic and it was a real pleasure to spend a few hours chatting away with you, especially hearing all of your stories from the not so distant past when Gateshead shed was such a prominent feature for you. Your enjoyment of that era was certainly evident very early on from when you arrived on the platform that day - it's always easier to listen to people talk about a subject that they are enthusiastic about and you had that in bucket-loads! And not forgetting that amazing day at the ELR for my first ever Diesel Gala - I'll never quite get over seeing you kiss a 47 :lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hmm would I kiss a 47? Well I do like them but I’d probably just go for a cuddle these days.
Now a Western? I’d go all the way with one of them… ;)

Established Member
You couldn't have been any more hospitable when I visited the North East - coffee and cheese scones delivered to the platform for me cannot be bettered :D My visit to Newcastle still remains one of my favourite trips, and I still have a photo from that day as the wallpaper on my phone :) Everyone I met that day was fantastic and it was a real pleasure to spend a few hours chatting away with you, especially hearing all of your stories from the not so distant past when Gateshead shed was such a prominent feature for you. Your enjoyment of that era was certainly evident very early on from when you arrived on the platform that day - it's always easier to listen to people talk about a subject that they are enthusiastic about and you had that in bucket-loads! And not forgetting that amazing day at the ELR for my first ever Diesel Gala - I'll never quite get over seeing you kiss a 47 :lol:
Well I thank you Mr Train. I do try my best, bit of courtesy never hurt anyone. As for the enthusiasm about the old days, I guess that's because I'm a nostalgic old fart. As for kissing the 47, D1501 and 47765 have both been kissed, as has 47596, not sure if I've kissed anymore in preservation but they're not the first nor will ibe they the last.:wub:
Hmm would I kiss a 47? Well I do like them but I’d probably just go for a cuddle these days.
Now a Western? I’d go all the way with one of them… ;)
:lol::lol: Mr Cowley, what went on in your head.
(waits for folk to get that reference)
Each to their own I say. I could imagine a few us getting ourselves in a major froth not just Cowley if a Western puckered up to many of us in this fashion.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Well I thank you Mr Train. I do try my best, bit of courtesy never hurt anyone. As for the enthusiasm about the old days, I guess that's because I'm a nostalgic old fart. As for kissing the 47, D1501 and 47765 have both been kissed, as has 47596, not sure if I've kissed anymore in preservation but they're not the first nor will ibe they the last.:wub:

:lol::lol: Mr Cowley, what went on in your head.
(waits for folk to get that reference)
Each to their own I say. I could imagine a few us getting ourselves in a major froth not just Cowley if a Western puckered up to many of us in this fashion.

Oh yes, that is some good work from that Western :D

Established Member
A Quick top up
Had a few little run outs in the car lately. Just trying to rope in a bit of the new stuff. I havent done too bad, either, they're coming down nicely. 800109 sending the clearance cannon, well more like a cheap crappy firework, to sound on that sub class of those Satsumas. Despite repeated attempts 802204 of the TPE variety remains the fly in the ointment on their front,. I mean theres no rush and at a wild guess I think they'll be around for a little while yet.

A evening jaunt down to Eaglescliffe, mainly just to get out the house, saw us miss a required Azuma on route learning by about a minute. Bloody traffic. Then there was a 20minute spell of 3 freights Wooo I know. Firstly it was 60047 on a Tyne Dock to Drax working. 20210804_180825.jpg
Followed by 60062 on the same platform on Jarrow to Lindsey Oil Tanks, known locally as the Jots. Despite seeing this regularly near where I live, I was blissfully unaware it turned off the ECML and came this way. 20210804_181818.jpg
No sooner had 60062 stopped for a driver change, then over to the other platform where the Wilton Binliner came in hauled by 66013.
20210809_014918.jpg
After a scour or Realtime, the next freight wasnt due for another hour, a couple of turns had been cancelled and seen as looking at the same Northern 156s and 158s repeating didnt really appeal, we made haste to find some sustenance then home.
Still in planning mode for a little trip away but we should be 'Out n About' in a few weeks time.

Last edited:

Established Member
As I write this were approaching Ferrybridge on the way to Donny, on a 3 Day Car and Train Tour which has obviously began. An East meets West (Midlands)trip hunting out odds n sods thats needed in the Book of Sights. I'm not expecting to get em all but if I get some, it'll be a bonus. The trip report will be written sometime later in the week. Until then #LSGsFindtheGap kicked off the way it intends to go on (I hope) when 801101 was nabbed just getting train tickets for the trip. Until then heres a pic of a 47 for no other reason other than my own personal pleasure.IMG_20180706_124008.jpg

xotGD

Established Member
approaching Ferrybridge on the way to Donny
I was thinking that you were enjoying an interesting diversion, and then realised that you were in the car, not the train!

Looking forward to reading the report...

Established Member
#LSGsFindtheGap
Monday 23.8.21
Day 1

This a trip that's been planned since arriving back from the North East Round Robin and not entirely my idea. The other half enjoyed being out so much on the rails, that when she said, when we going out again? I thought oh here goes. My daughter was going away for a week, so with that in mind, we had that week to form a plan.was. So a look through the (what I certainly now realise is a badly outdated) NREA, that revealed some kind of annoying itches that with a tidy bit of planning and luck, I might just be able to scratch them, as well as rope in a few bits of new stuff on the way too.
At 07.45 were in the car on our way, we get so far and I realise I could murder a bacon sarnie. So a stop at Wetherby Services is deemed vital, Bacon Sarnies and Coffee are sourced from Geordie Snacks aka Greggs it's back on the road with a large chunk of Carter USM, New Model Army, Soundgarden and Sex Pistols blasting in the car for company. We arrive in Frenchgate Car Park around 10.15 ish, get parked and it's time for the overview of the station and works from in there. From here we see 08724 trundling around and see that theres obviously 37610 in the station.20210823_103116.jpg
A quick shufty and we get on the station and its through the underpass to go see what else accompanies said 37. Theres a couple of 91s in various states of repair to keep 331106 and 67028 company.
20210825_091431.jpg
Now I think its about time 37610 needs a bit of a livery update. It's bad enough they ruined its looks by plating over it's nose, taking away a 37s redeeming features but giving it big yellow cab ends and small numbers, just makes it look silly. Shes what's termed "classic" traction, well make her look more classic, give it large numbers and double arrows please.
20210823_104216.jpg
A couple hours on Donny flew by and just before we left 91130 Mayor of Newcastle came to see us on it's way to Leeds. I was never a huge fan of the Blunts but I kinda miss them now. So for prosperity I took a pic of the DVT, as by the time I get back this way, they might be gone forever.
20210823_115056.jpg
3 new sightings got the day off to a decent start, 2 new Azumas in 801206, 801106 and 66791 certainly set the ball in motion for the name of this trip Report.
Next up was Chesterfield, my other halfs birthplace, this had to be on the agenda because she wanted to see the twisted spire again This suited me down to the ground, as theres s few freights go through there and the chance to scratch one itch here too. Sadly that itch wasn't playing out today, much to my annoyance but there was one I can get later. However the 195s do frequent here, so any chance to rope in the new stuff is fine by me. After about 10mins 66513 started the freight workings off.
20210823_134142.jpg
Now Chesterfield was always a canny place to visit, those old enough to remember loco hauled stuff from St Pancras, ye ole wagon bashers psradise, I certainly had a few cross country 47s here, also summer timetable moves, I ended up there on various traction either to or from Sheffield. Today no such luminaries but I did rope in 3 195s and prior to us leaving 66787 rolled through too. I had hoped to rope in some required GB sheds but 2 in a row, did do as the title says. We got talking to two other cranks on the platform, one of which, had seen us at Donny. I suppose we must be in that bracket, of once seen never forgotten:lol: but those two gents gave me a few little gems for future planning of trips, for which I said many thanks for those little bits of their knowledge. That's what I like about this hobby, theres always folk, who are prepared to share their knowledge to help others. One of my bug bears is railway snobbery, those who you ask, what was that number on that and your met with a sarcastic reply or look you up n down and walk away, or them who have a greater knowledge of stuff and look down their nose at you because your not on their level of knowledge, These really nark me but anyway I'm get side tracked.
It's now time to leave the Crooked Spire
20210823_133156.jpg
I had to put this pic in this trip report or I'm told, I'm walking to base camp. Which bearing in mind is at Long Eaton. I really didnt fancy the walk.
Check in done and in the room, it was time to grab a coffee and freshen up. I'd planned a small sojourn out this evening, nothing to taxing but a little spin out and it was necessary to be in Nottingham for 18.32. A quick drive down to Long Eaton Station, park the car and pay for the parking before jumping aboard and the reason I found out I knew a new NREA was needed, when winner 170619 took us off to Nottingham. 195004 was added to the Book of Sights and these renumberings are really starting to boil my water. Not just the 170s but when 156916 showed up, I thought your taking the fudging p**s now. Especially as this was an itch I've been desperate to scratch.
20210823_183435.jpg
Yes sound the clearance cannon. 156411, is one of those annoying gap fillers. They're done and dusted. I've seen all the original ones. Yes I will try n find the renumbered one but for now. In my mind they're classed.

With that out the way we had a spin out to Leicester just for a move past Mountsorrell to see if there was any required GB sheds kicking around and a roll past Leicester LIP. We jumped on winner 222022 for which the other half seemed reasonably impressed, I just told her they're just more comfortable cousins of Voyagers, of which with me at least, she hasn't had the pleasure of, as I avoid them like the plague. 66723 was in Mountsorrell as was an unidentified red shed behind its rake of wagons. I was delighted to see 47847 and 47843 as we rolled past LIP. 47847s large logo livery is looking a tad faded these days but its still nice to see. I also get to see 91117 and 91120 in their Europheonix pyjamas for the first time. What's the plan for them now, anyone in the know? An exit to warmer climbs perhaps with some of the now out of service Freightliner 86s. Who knows.

Not much longer after, we done an about turn and we jumped onto winner 222023 for the ride back to Long Eaton and the search for some food. At Ratcliffe Junction, we pass 66756 coming out of Ratcliffe Power Station this ending our traverse on EMR this evening. After finding a chippy it was back in the car and off to base camp, to eat our much needed grub before getting a well earned shower. After writing up todays notes, I collapsed into bed for some kip for Day 2's long day on West Midland Rails.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Quite an action packed day there! Nice work on the 156 too!

As expected, an excellent read and it seems your other half enjoyed it too. I need to explore Chesterfield properly, never been past the station approach road. On the agenda to do eventually!

xotGD

Established Member
these renumberings are really starting to boil my water
I remember some years ago when parcels Duff 477xx arrived at Newcastle and someone despairingly exclaimed 'What the xxx is that?!?'

Other annoying examples were 373xx, 901xx, 902xx, 911xx, 811xx, 259xx and 60500.

Oh, and nice report!

Established Member
#LSGsFindtheGap
Day 2

So we're up early, not so bright eyed and bushy tailed but after the ablutions, the havasacks packed and a request for gen on the forum about a certain itch that needs scratching., we're outta there. A quick drive down to Long Eaton Station, the Cars parked only £4 for 18hours, which isn't too bad at all, when you consider it cost 15quid in the Arndale Centre in Manchester for less than half the time, a week before. That gives us till 6am the next morning.I think, well I hope we're back before then.
As we Sat on the Platform at Long Eaton, gen comes through that my itch,that needs scratching is playing out too. Sadly, looking at the gen I'm not sure I will see it today and I only have a short window in tomorrows proceedings to see it too.
As we sat on the platform, I fired up real time, there was supposed to be a freight through around half 8 but it hadn't even left Worksop, so I put it down as a non runner. A few XC 170s and Meridians came through, nothing for the book of sights though. We were booked on the 09.31 to Crewe, from Long Eaton to Stoke, where the West Midland Day Ranger would kick in and complete the journey to Crewe. At Long Eaton at 08.59 the clearance cannon fired off a 21 gun salute as my last Meridian bit the dust. The gnashing of teeth had been happily abated and accompanied with a quite loud f!+*$&g Get in.
20210824_090313.jpg
222013 bit the dust and now I dont have to worry about going home having not seen it. Needless to say when winner 156401 rolled in the smirk was still evident when I got on. I positioned us on the left hand side for RVEL but sat back with a more than content smile, letting 156401 take the strain. Approaching RVEL I got the dictaphone.primed. it's a new one too. My trusty one has gone to dictaphone heaven due to a dodgy on off switch. The new one I'm still getting used too. It should be relatively straight forward press record and hey presto. This one is seemingly a bit more awkward. RVEL is chocker, coaching stock everywhere. 37175, 37254 and 37800 are by the main shed, 73951 and 73952 sit there too. They are both big gap fillers. Theres other locos parked behind coaches and the gronk is too. I got it all on dictaphone. Only when I went to play it back, to write what I'd seen into my notebook. Some bloody playing error came up. As you could probably imagine, that smirk got wiped off my face pretty quickly.

After Derby I nodded off till just as we pulled into Blythe Bridge. I was hoping to see something at Stoke and Longport, nowt at Stoke but a Grey Gronk at Longport was, 08784 isnt even in my NREA but I've seen pics of it online at Longport, so its another mark against my NREA. Round the back of LNWR there was a unit there that had been graffiti'd, it looked like a brand new one too.

After bailing off the 156, I had to hot foot it over the bridge, not only was their a dogbox I wanted to see but something sparkly and new too. 153362 was a new addition to the book of sights, if your slightly interested. Shame that a very much required 197001 isnt even listed in my NREA, just s header to say they're on the way?, in fairness it is from 2019.
20210824_215204.jpg

I stood and watched a required 08483 shunt 90002 round LSL's yard, all the time wondering what the hell
20210826_002035.jpg
has happened to Crewe. This was once a Rail Enthusiasts meçca, yeah ok there's still plenty variety round the place but in the 80s and 90s Crewe Diesel would be chocker block. Would I have taken this picture below? No, is the simple answer because there'd be a myriad of different Diesel and Electric locos in its place. In the 80s, many of us would've shunned this blue imposter cos zings were killing loco hauled turns. Now I'm taking pictures of them. I need to give my head a wobble.
20210824_215331.jpg
Another thing, Crewe Station is starting to really look shabby. It certainly needs a bit of a repaint. Easy for me to say mind, I'm not paying or having to do the work and I hate glossing.
However things did improve?, I did rope in a few 350s but things massively improved when we were on the very platform when this pulled right in front of us.
20210827_005004.jpg
37884 dragging a required 365525 to Crewe South Yard from Longsight. The other half has become a big fan of 37s, puppy dogs she refers to them. She just loves the look and the noise they make. Somehow I don't think shes alone with them thoughts mind. I was also hoping my errant bodysnatcher would be here as the Thunderbird but alas, 57304 was in charge of sitting doing that job, whilst mine was in Gresty Bridge on Exam.
Soon after the 37 growled away, we moved down the platform and waited for a pendo to Stafford. Winner 390154 done the honours but I was too busy yacking, that I forgot to look to see what was on LNWR. Real schoolboy error on my behalf that:{So off to Stafford for a couple of hours, in hope something might drop, Like some of the Freightliner sheds I need. GB have already been nice and sent 2 past me the day before, so probably no chance of that today.

to be continued............

Last edited:

Established Member
:lol: Quite an action packed day there! Nice work on the 156 too!

As expected, an excellent read and it seems your other half enjoyed it too. I need to explore Chesterfield properly, never been past the station approach road. On the agenda to do eventually!
Oh it was a busy day Tech. Worth it though. Yes getting 156411 was a good feeling indeed. Thanks for the kind words. The other half loves coming out to watch stuff. Sometimes I have to park her on Stations whilst I do the running round but she tries to help. Doesnt always get the numbers the right way round but the efforts appreciated.
I remember some years ago when parcels Duff 477xx arrived at Newcastle and someone despairingly exclaimed 'What the xxx is that?!?'

Other annoying examples were 373xx, 901xx, 902xx, 911xx, 811xx, 259xx and 60500.

Oh, and nice report!
Oh Mr xot, dont get me started. I feel your pain. I'd barely got 47123 and renumbering went nuts on them, how many times. The class 90s, mean I need 033, 046 again. I remember the dash on Toon when the 143s got renumbered to 1436xx. There was no way I was letting them go that far South without me getting them all.

Oh and thanks for the kind words too.:lol:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Always a great read with your usual injection of humour LSG. :)
That 37 does look a bit odd in that livery, I guess it’s meant to look like this one (not my photo):

1C78AAF7-464A-4CF7-94AF-EFCB0CD97371.jpeg

But it just doesn’t look right without headcode boxes. I wonder if they should devise their own livery for the modified ones.

Oh no. I’ve just realised that I’ve gone all livery froth now haven’t I?

Established Member
#LSGsFindtheGap
Day 2

Continued​

Arriving at Stafford, I noticed there was plenty cranks out on the platform, so that can only bode well. We bailed off and i went or a ciggy while the other half went for the coffees before we ambled over onto the middle platform and plonked ourselves on a bench at the South end of it. We didn't have to wait very long before 66305 rumbled psst us and soon after 2 required 350s came through too. I'm then told, them green ones make a funny noise dont they. I agreed but thought if they sound funny what will she make of the 323s. Plenty to keep.us entertained freight wise but like I thought the GB Sheds I'm after aren't playing today. The class 90s are becoming a colourful bunch though., as 90026 and 90019 came through and added a splash of colour to the place.
20210824_133143.jpg
Still the Skodas are nice to see. 350124 added a bit of requiredness to the party, another one to decrease the gaps suits me just fine. I took time out for a ciggy and a loo break. As I was having said ciggy I turned and seen some containers go by, when I got a text off the other half to say 88007 has just passed, as I walked onto the platform, I looked across to see her thumbing her way through the NREA to see if I needed it. :lol: When I got back to where we were sitting, she asked, did I get the message? Yeah I've got all the 88s, I know I checked she said before adding, I was hoping I'd see it and you would need it. Will I or won't I buy her an NREA for herself, shes here on observations and shes trying to get competitive already.o_O 90042 and 90045(1 away damn) went through before 90039 came up the platform and stopped under the bridge by the waiting room. I can only guess with a red signal, the driver must've been a bit camera shy.
20210824_142313.jpg
Certainly stopped me getting a decent pic of the Backbone livery but took the pic for the novelty of him stopping the loco there. Mademoiselle decided she needed the loo. So off she trot, a couple more 350s added to the Book of sights, when she returned with Sarnies, Crisps and pop. Jesus I knew the Ladies toilets were better than the blokes but I didnt think they'd have a snack bar. We sat and ate our lunch before we decided it was time to move towards the Bat Cave. Whys it called the Bat Cave ? I'm asked, I just said you'll see soon enough.We wandered up the platform to jump on the next Bat Cave bound 350 only to bump into a very much required 720571, when did that sneak in. I went to take a pic but no sooner had I reached for the phone it left. So I was incredibly lucky to even see it. However winner 350266 arrived and it was off to the Bat Cave we went.
To be continued......

Established Member
Better not mention the renumbered 153s ;) (153/9s for the Welsh services).

Sounding like a good trip so far :)
Oh Kite, yeah I'd heard that. As long it's all the ones I need and they're all put under one roof at Cardiff, I can handle that. Was a really good trip thanks Kite.
Always a great read with your usual injection of humour LSG. :)
That 37 does look a bit odd in that livery, I guess it’s meant to look like this one (not my photo):

View attachment 101812

But it just doesn’t look right without headcode boxes. I wonder if they should devise their own livery for the modified ones.

Oh no. I’ve just realised that I’ve gone all livery froth now haven’t I?
Ah Mr Cowley, your right, you went all livery froth yes. It's the totally plated nose that totally kills the look of 37610. All you have to do is look at 37716, least that looks good. This is not my pic, sadly I can't credit anyone with the photo.
20210827_121136.jpg
Thank you for your kind words too Mr Cowley.

Established Member
Ah, but the burning question is what does she think of 47s?

First time she saw one was at Leicester LIP but they were just static exhibits that evening but said they looked better on the eye than that one and pointed at 56081. So I doubt a 47 would top a 37 in her eyes.

Established Member
#LSGsFindtheGap
Day 2

continued
Hello Darkness my old friend, yes we'd arrived at the bat cave. A quick reccy round the place to see if theres anything required, sadly theres not so what to do next. Easy decision really, we used common sense and headed to Moor Street. The other half now realises why its nicknamed the Bat Cave and is suitably stunned by what Moor Streets like. They're like chalk n cheese, aren't they, this a real throw back to what I call oldy worldly. I couldnt agree more with her.
At Moor Street 168325 kindly trundled into the station and metaphorically straight into the NREA. I love visiting Moor Street, I could sit there for hours but today I'm rather sad cos I want to be coming here to get some Cat Thrash. Sadly 68013 is at Wrmbley Yard and the only Cat out us 10. This trips about gap filling rather than farting on adding another 20 odd mile on a dud loco. Trust me it's not easy saying that either, I love the 68s for haulage. If 13 was out, yeah all bets were off and I'd be on my way to Leamington Spa but sadly it isn't, instead I jump on winner 172001 for a ride to Stourbridge. Sadly this 2 car unit is packed to the gunnell's, the guard apologised saying, there was a shortage of units. I'd say get the loco hauled turns DMU replacements on, like the ole days but theres probably not enough spare coaches to run them either. Nowadays I get the feeling the alternative is to cancel trains and piss people off, rather than fork out a bit extra for a solution. Sorry I've gone off on a different tangent.
So.its off to Stourbridge, if you were a 90s Indie kid, the Stourbridge scene spawned, 3 big Indie bands, Neds Atomic Dustbin, Wonderstuff and Pop Will Eat Itself. I love all 3 bands, sadly I'm not here to watch any 3 of those hands, I'm here for the little train. When I was asked, So what's at Stourbridge then? I was tempted to say them bands above but just said, a tiny train. I got very puzzled looks, just be patient you'll see soon enough.
On the way I'm told, theres 26 and 33, I keep meaning to get the tram numbers but I keep forgetting. Im asked do I need them 2? Yes I do actually and in the process of adding them to my totals of West Midland Trams I actually triple their numbers. On approach to Stourbridge junction we pass 68011 stabled up with a full rake of empty stock. Two guys opposite said, look at that standing idle and were packed on here like sardines.
We climb off 172001 and go through the underpass and up the stairs and s clearance firework goes off.139001 is barely worth loading the cannon for but it's out the way now. The other half says it's cute but it's too packed to ride to Stoyrbridge Town, which in fairness it was.20210824_164319.jpg
So we let it go and jumped aboard another 172, which I stupidly forget to get its number and we head back to Moor Street in order to find sustenance but not before 165022 was added to the book of sights.
In Brum we opt for a Burger King, the service was a bit crap, they gave my other half the wrong burger then accused me of probably eating it. She had ordered some chicken and bacon thing, it looked like she'd been given the vegan option. Fortunately they changed it but I did laugh at some vegan opening their meal and biting into chicken n Bacon burger and thinking, wow, that tastes just like the real thing. After we've ate and make away, I realise my hoody isn't in the bag, I've left it back at base camp. So I descend upon Primani, in order to buy a cheap one. I get myself a hoody in my size and we head back to the Bat cave.
I check the boards and find a train to Walsall for a ride past Bescot. As I'm.waiting for the said Train, 158841 and 158827 are clicked as is Starship 323216. I'm then also greeted by winner 350371 for the ride to Walsall and back.
Its here I put the hoody on, well I should say I tried to put the hoody on. It fit on the arms, just, I couldn't fasten it, it was like a sausage skin unzipped, if I'd manage to fasten it, it would've been like a straight jacket. The other half had to help me out of it, much to her and a few others on the trains hilarity. If that was a XXL I'd hate to see what medium was like. I kept it and gave it to my 14yr old daughter, who trust me is a medium at most and it only just fits her. Still it was funny, so i guess I'll just have to shiver. At Bescot I'm treated to 66846 66752 and 66777, there was a gronk but it was behind 66752 but 66846 and 66777 were copped. Much to.my delight. Sadly the Depot side was completely dead. Another good depot sadly dying on its backside. I believe GBRf have now got ownership of the place and DB have moved out. Had a few good visits to the place and got round it about 4 times, normally at silly o'clock in the morning but the lads who worked the night shift were always welcoming, yeah there was always a bit ribbing about us trainspotting but it was always meant in good fun.
By now the other half and I were starting to flag. So we just moved down a coach and went straight back to the Bat Cave with 350371. It was now starting to get dark too. We had roughly 2 hrs to kill before our train back to base camp, I did toy with the idea of a few moves but thought sod it, we'll sit on platform 6 and I'll use the rest of the time to see what Starships and 350s I can rope in. As it turned out, ironically, New Street in the dark is lighter than it ever is through the day. Still I managed to get more than a few new starships roped in and the odd 350 too. At the last knockings of this day, I actually managed to knock 2 XC 170s off the list too. 170104 and 170116. Leaves just 101 and 110 to find to clear the XC Turbos. All that remained was to get ours back to Long Eaton. That was left to winner 170636, the back coach us locked out, a fair crowd of us piled on but we managed to get seats. Off we went and by Derby we just wanted to sleep. Sadly for one guy, bed was his least worry, the guard come to check the tickets just after Burton. He didnt have a ticket nor would he pay for one, so he got turfed off at Derby. Another guy tried to get further up the train away from him but the 3rd coach behind us was locked out and he had to pay his fare onboard. As we passed RVEL you could see it was checker block still, sadly darkness shrouded any chance of seeing owt on there. By half 11 we were in the Car and onwards to base camp. Both of us totally paggered but it had been a long but very profitable day.
Day 3 and sadly the last day of the trip is more of a spotting day, a chance to scratch a very long term itch and a chance to catch up with a forum member.
All will be revealed in the next installment.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
So....

68010 or a 172?

I think we'd have been travelling in opposite directions!

Great story about the hoody. Proper comedy on the train. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.