• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LU Night Tube Train Operator - Part Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’m not an applicant, just curious...
Train operators aren’t allowed to do overtime or there isn’t any overtime?

Any reason for this, RDW (overtime) is awash and standard on national rail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

oz220

I’m not an applicant, just curious...
Train operators aren’t allowed to do overtime or there isn’t any overtime?

Any reason for this, RDW (overtime) is awash and standard on national rail.

not allowed to do overtime. Unless your train is running late due to delays etc at the end of your shift.

dont know the ins and outs but this was something the unions pushed for.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Ah okay, I see thanks - possibly to ensure full employment in the links, saves relying on RDW to cover jobs.

I can see why both staff and company sides would be willing to accept that arrangement.

bluegoblin7

Established Member
Yes, unions pushed for it as part of a pay deal some years ago. No voluntary overtime or RDW on trains-side but, as mentioned, it will be paid for any 'forced' overtime - that is if you are late finishing due to service delays.

There is some (unofficial) 'flex' within this (e.g. asked to complete a round trip even if that puts you over time [but not driving parameters, which are different] instead of being turned short if possible) but as a rule, no overtime.

PhoenixAndy

Thanks for your views. Was probably a bit optimistic in my assessment. Out of curiosity, are classroom trainees furloughed at the moment?

I'm an external trainee train op and have been furloughed until the end of June at the earliest.
Externals were indeed sent on a two day csa course and were deployed to stations once train op training was put on hold. Then they made us travel ambassadors and deployed us at Jubilee stations from Stratford to Canary Wharf for a week, then made the decision to furlough us.
As externals, with no previous role to return to, our situation is precarious imho. There was word that senior tfl management wanted to cancel our contracts as we're still in our probationary period but so far we're still hanging on in there.
Also, externals applied for night tube which is not going to restart until March 2021.
I was on week 7 and had just finished stock training when training was halted. I'm hoping that once I get back to it and qualified, we'll be offered full time roles.
Hope this all helps?

oz220

I'm an external trainee train op and have been furloughed until the end of June at the earliest.
Externals were indeed sent on a two day csa course and were deployed to stations once train op training was put on hold. Then they made us travel ambassadors and deployed us at Jubilee stations from Stratford to Canary Wharf for a week, then made the decision to furlough us.
As externals, with no previous role to return to, our situation is precarious imho. There was word that senior tfl management wanted to cancel our contracts as we're still in our probationary period but so far we're still hanging on in there.
Also, externals applied for night tube which is not going to restart until March 2021.
I was on week 7 and had just finished stock training when training was halted. I'm hoping that once I get back to it and qualified, we'll be offered full time roles.
Hope this all helps?

any news for you guys since being furloughed? I hope good news comes soon.

Halfway Boy

There is a trial about to be underway shortly for in-cab training, involving drivers who have been off sick/shielding and those needing CAP’s.

It is voluntary for both the IO and driver, so likely to be some time before they clear the backlog of existing drivers before they can start looking at new recruits as the amounts of IO’s will be severely reduced.

Particularly since IO’s don’t get paid that much more than drivers, it’s only an extra 1.5% pay a year or something.

I certainly wouldn’t be risking my health for that amount of money.
Especially since IO’s are still getting paid the same whether they refuse or not.

PhoenixAndy

There is a trial about to be underway shortly for in-cab training, involving drivers who have been off sick/shielding and those needing CAP’s.

It is voluntary for both the IO and driver, so likely to be some time before they clear the backlog of existing drivers before they can start looking at new recruits as the amounts of IO’s will be severely reduced.

Particularly since IO’s don’t get paid that much more than drivers, it’s only an extra 1.5% pay a year or something.

I certainly wouldn’t be risking my health for that amount of money.
Especially since IO’s are still getting paid the same whether they refuse or not.

Cheers for that mate. Obviously being furloughed I'm out of the loop apart from information that comes from my training manager and not heard anything from him for a while.
I totally get i/o's not wanting to put themselves at risk and fully support their stand.
Sounds selfish but I'm happy to be sitting at home on full pay, my golf handicap is slowly dropping
Be nice to complete my training before the years out mind you

MXT

Cheers for that mate. Obviously being furloughed I'm out of the loop apart from information that comes from my training manager and not heard anything from him for a while.
I totally get i/o's not wanting to put themselves at risk and fully support their stand.
Sounds selfish but I'm happy to be sitting at home on full pay, my golf handicap is slowly dropping
Be nice to complete my training before the years out mind you
Any news on training restarting for NT drivers? Or any news at all ...

KCJones

Almost 3 yrs since I was offered the job, 2 medicals and 1 pandemic later i'm wondering if it will ever happen !!

Got a phone call after almost a year asking if I could start at short notice which I couldn't, had a 2nd medical for an around March 2020 start and couldn't take it as had holiday booked for April

Strangely it's worked out Ok job wise as I got lucky and have managed 2 yrs at present place !!!

Railroader22

Almost 3 yrs since I was offered the job, 2 medicals and 1 pandemic later i'm wondering if it will ever happen !!

Got a phone call after almost a year asking if I could start at short notice which I couldn't, had a 2nd medical for an around March 2020 start and couldn't take it as had holiday booked for April

Strangely it's worked out Ok job wise as I got lucky and have managed 2 yrs at present place !!!
To be fair that’s not TfLs fault. If you’ve turned down two opportunities to start then that’s down to you. I would’ve dropped that holiday immediately.

Applepie356

An opportunity like this i would immediately grab it with both hands, regardless of any holidays or current work commitments! But each to their own

KCJones

I'm not blaming TfL, just stating what's happened, plus it's worked in my favour as I'd be furloughed now, instead of earning very good money

Holiday was booked and paid for to Austraila and only 2 months away at the time.

We'll see what happens next year if they open the night tube again.

Val3ntine

I'm not blaming TfL, just stating what's happened, plus it's worked in my favour as I'd be furloughed now, instead of earning very good money

Holiday was booked and paid for to Austraila and only 2 months away at the time.

We'll see what happens next year if they open the night tube again.

Actually technically you may have had the opportunity to go to full time tube operator as I believe night tube drivers were given that option. Unless I can be corrected by someone?

Lewlew

Actually technically you may have had the opportunity to go to full time tube operator as I believe night tube drivers were given that option. Unless I can be corrected by someone?
They were given the option of a full time secondment. Not a permanent thing but may well become permanent after time.

Whassup

That's good to hear. Any other candidates get an update for NT training start dates?? A bit anxious with rumours of TFL scrapping NT altogether to save money...

KCJones

Sadly no chance of it opening for a long long time now.

I wonder if they'd offer Days to those waiting and those trained

Lewlew

In cab training has once again been paused. Unlikely to be any movement for recruitment any time soon unfortunately.

Dstock7080

Established Member
TfL have announced to staff that Night Tube will not be returning this spring and that existing operators will be moving onto other duties.

Night Tube will only return “when London needs it!”
That will involve a fresh recruitment campaign, training etc.

MXT

Training has now recommenced. I've been given a date of 18th January.
Been trained as a CSA1 in the interim and since the furlough scheme ended
What does the announcement re. no NT for the foreseeable future mean for those still awaiting NT training, particularly those who were external? Are you likely to be offered full-time or is it back to stations as a CSA?

KCJones

After a long long wait on the list I received this email (in fact I was offered the job in Dec 17 after applying in March 17 !!)

During 2018-2019 you applied for the role of Night Tube Train Operator and have been waiting to be called into training. The Covid-19 pandemic meant that for over a year we were unable to carry out any training activity due to social distancing requirements. I know that the Recruitment Team have kept you appraised of progress, and I would like to thank you for your patience.

Whilst we are in a position to make a cautious start to training, the business has made a decision to remove the dedicated Night Tube Train Operator Grade from our structure, and when Night Tube service return, they will be covered by full time drivers.

Therefore, the role for which you applied, no longer exists.

We would however like to make you aware of other opportunities that exist, that you could be trained for without undertaking any additional assessments:
  • Full Time Customer Service Assistant 2 – salary £27,586
  • Night Tube Customer Service Assistant 1 (15 hours per week, Friday & Saturday nights) – salary £15,154

Jimbo12345

Yes the NT T/Op grade is no more. If/when NT returns it’ll be staffed by full time T/Ops who will receive a, small, pay enhancement per shift.

Whassup

Everyone currently training have been giving options of either going full time TO21 or Weekend part time days TO26 or just staying as night tube (TO23) if they so wish
Thanks for that... Good luck to all who started pre covid... unfortunately, I was on the waiting list so got the termination email today too. Just thinking of the 'Night Tube Customer Service Assistant 1' role but am thinking that is dependant on whenever the night tube starts again too?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks for that... Good luck to all who started pre covid... unfortunately, I was on the waiting list so got the termination email today too. Just thinking of the 'Night Tube Customer Service Assistant 1' role but am thinking that is dependant on whenever the night tube starts again too?
Nope, this role already exists and even during the past year and a bit where there is no Night Tube, people currently in this position are currently doing their normal night shifts. The reason being that Night Tube CSAs are built into the main roster meaning that CSAs are still present from 23.00 - Close of Traffic and Start of Traffic - 07.00.

Tube driver

Yep, as of last Sunday, the night tube t/op grade is no more! (well, unless you want to stay in the grade as a legacy grade) There’s still a question mark over whether it will return at all but the mayor is keen for it to come back in order to help the night time economy get back on its feet and what he says goes and a date has been pencilled in but a lot can change between now and then.

a LOT of training has been pencilled in as we are short of t/ops at the moment so we should start to see a load of station staff finally start to come through into full time roles who now don’t have to take the pay cut into part-time night tube to get into the grade.

Didn‘t realise we were recruiting CSA2s, could be an opportunity for some...

Whassup

Nope, this role already exists and even during the past year and a bit where there is no Night Tube, people currently in this position are currently doing their normal night shifts. The reason being that Night Tube CSAs are built into the main roster meaning that CSAs are still present from 23.00 - Close of Traffic and Start of Traffic

Am I right to assume that the Night tube CSA role has fixed hours then? And what are CSA's doing between last train and first train if they are scheduled to work til 7am?

Status
Not open for further replies.