• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo - new Open Access operator on the East Coast Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigD

Established Member
I believe there are 406 seats and I guess there are around 300 passengers

From the seating plan posted up thread there are 394 seats, 2 wheelchair spaces and 4 tip up seats in the vestibule at the cab ends of the train, along with 4 toilets.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
From the seating plan posted up thread there are 394 seats, 2 wheelchair spaces and 4 tip up seats in the vestibule at the cab ends of the train, along with 4 toilets.
Yes - 56, 94, 94, 94 and 60 seats in A through E respectively as I posted earlier up the thread.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes - 56, 94, 94, 94 and 60 seats in A through E respectively as I posted earlier up the thread.
Those middle coaches are impressively densely packed though without compromising on leg room from what's been reported elsewhere?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Isn’t it mainly achieved by having far fewer tables than the usual GWR or LNER layout?

Oh yes I think so (along with the thin seats as mentioned by @Bletchleyite) I just thought it was interesting to see what you can do with the available space. 94 seats in a Mk3 or Mk4 would be extremely cosy but seems like it can be fairly easily accommodated in an IET vehicle without compromising anything vital (like, ya know, having room for your legs! :lol:)

Looks like both inaugural trains are still going well. The northbound was ten early at one point and is still expected to arrive into Newcastle shortly whilst the soutbound is a few minutes early on the final run into Kings Cross.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks like both inaugural trains are still going well. The northbound was ten early at one point and is still expected to arrive into Newcastle shortly whilst the soutbound is
The northbound train was allowed to pass 1S12 1030 London Kings Cross to Edinburgh at Durham which put a minute or two delay in that service on the approach to Newcastle.

Thumper1127

Lots of legroom. The tables extend out and are excellent for using a laptop. Armrests are very narrow (though decently padded); I can imagine passive aggressive disagreements ensuing about the middle armrest! :lol:

The seat base is definitely better padded than the normal IEP seat but the fact it's angled backwards (front is higher than the back) means it's slightly cutting off the blood flow to my legs!

I'll reserve full judgment until we get to Kings Cross.
What do you think now of the seat comfort?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Would anyone like to post a trip report? We could do with a thread for experiences of travelling on Lumo in the Trip Reports section :)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Oh yes I think so (along with the thin seats as mentioned by @Bletchleyite) I just thought it was interesting to see what you can do with the available space. 94 seats in a Mk3 or Mk4 would be extremely cosy but seems like it can be fairly easily accommodated in an IET vehicle without compromising anything vital (like, ya know, having room for your legs! :lol:)

I understand Avanti are fitting the same seats (though with a slightly different cushion) into the Pendolinos in the same layout as they currently have - this should bode well for a legroom improvement as it's presently quite bad, and the current seats are quite thick backed. Hopefully the thin armrest will mean they can fit one on the window side, too.

irish_rail

Established Member
I understand Avanti are fitting the same seats (though with a slightly different cushion) into the Pendolinos in the same layout as they currently have - this should bode well for a legroom improvement as it's presently quite bad, and the current seats are quite thick backed. Hopefully the thin armrest will mean they can fit one on the window side, too.
Now just need GWR to follow suit for the mammoth 5 hour journeys to Penzance!

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
From the seating plan posted up thread there are 394 seats, 2 wheelchair spaces and 4 tip up seats in the vestibule at the cab ends of the train, along with 4 toilets*.
* my bold

Can you remove this thread before someone at Lumo thinks its a good idea to add those four to the reservations system? ;)

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What do you think now of the seat comfort?
I'm afraid the backwards leaning angle of the seat ruins it for me, I ended up with a slight pain in my thighs by the end of the journey. It's a shame because it's a very nice experience in all other respects.

So I'd say the 'de facto' 80x seat still wins for me, even if it's rock hard.

Thumper1127

I'm afraid the backwards leaning angle of the seat ruins it for me, I ended up with a slight pain in my thighs by the end of the journey. It's a shame because it's a very nice experience in all other respects.

Thanks for the update. It’ll be interesting to see what others think.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The inaugural northbound has now lost 2 minutes. Will it make it back before Edinburgh to arrive on time or will the passengers be mildly inconvenienced!?

centro-323

I thought the female uniform a bit matronly. Why did they not reverse it and have the ladies in Startrek and the men in scifi prison warder?
Top half of the uniform is the same for both. Just seems that so far the men are wearing the 'Star Trek' jumper more than the women.

The inaugural northbound has now lost 2 minutes. Will it make it back before Edinburgh to arrive on time or will the passengers be mildly inconvenienced!?
* ...or will passengers be instructing their solicitors in a blind rage :lol:

takno

Established Member

It's the lack of lean I struggle with on the 80x seats, so sounds quite promising! All of this sounds like great news just as I'm starting to resume regular trips down to London.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Those middle coaches are impressively densely packed though without compromising on leg room from what's been reported elsewhere?
10 more than usual, but as others say - fewer tables.

It's a bit like GWR HST High-density Mk3 trailers with 84 seats vs LNER ones with 76 or EMT/EMR with 74.

Though they do not seem to feel as cramped as GWR HST Std did.

Shows what can be achieved with minor alterations.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's the lack of lean I struggle with on the 80x seats, so sounds quite promising! All of this sounds like great news just as I'm starting to resume regular trips down to London.

Replied here, as I love a good Sophia-bash but not everyone does! :)

Last edited:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I'd love to see a 9-car Lumo.
Well, they may run a 10 at some point but who knows. If it's successful enough could further intermediate cars be built and inserted? That could open the potential for further fare reductions because they'd have more seats to try and fill.

London to Edinburgh for £9.90 anyone? ;)

TheBigD

Established Member
10 more than usual, but as others say - fewer tables.

It's a bit like GWR HST High-density Mk3 trailers with 84 seats vs LNER ones with 76 or EMT/EMR with 74.

Though they do not seem to feel as cramped as GWR HST Std did.

Shows what can be achieved with minor alterations.

There's only one more row of seats (4 seats) per caariage, with a reduction of table of 4s from 8 to 2.
On LNER, the equivalent carriage has 88 seats and two luggage stacks on the 5 car, with the 9 car having 84 seats and 4 luggage stacks*. Lumo only have 1 luggage stack, and the extra row of seats gives them 94 seats.

LNER modified the 9 cars to increase luggage capacity in light of experience. Whether luggage capacity becomes an issue on Lumo remains to be seem.

Status
Not open for further replies.