• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Lumo - new Open Access operator on the East Coast Main Line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
I note that Lumo have set their Morpeth to Edinburgh fares the same as their Newcastle to Edinburgh. A bit curious because after 0930 the inter-available ticket for a round trip is cheaper than the Lumo Only. Perhaps if its pointed out they will cut the fare by £1.50 each way so that it's actually cheaper.

For people travelling from Newcastle to Edinburgh after 0930, CrossCountry continues to provide the cheaper return.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mirodo

Rest of article behind paywall.

A whopping 3 passengers left behind, although not immediately obvious how or why (without being able to see whole article) given there was seemingly spare space on board.
There’s nothing in the full article which makes things any clearer.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
That said it doesn’t surprise me if there was *also* an electrical issue, given the unit did seem very sluggish out of Newcastle, and the WiFi was also not working.
RTT suggests it kept exactly to booked time from Newcastle to Morpeth, but also shows that the LNER in front was losing time.

tornado

Well, having done London to Newcastle and back today, both on Lumo services, here's my observations.

On the outward journey, I had two airline seats to myself, and the journey was very comfortable. I was fortunate in that I had the aisle seat reserved and no-one showed up for the window seat. Leg room was fine and I'm 6ft 3".

On the way back things were different. I was again stuck in a aisle seat, and one without a window view. I booked almost immediately it went live, so it's nice of them to flog the crap seats off first! Anyhow, I had someone next to me this time which drastically altered my experience. Having to sit upright for the whole 3 hours caused me quite a bit of discomfort. I could not lower the table tray without stretching my legs out- it's ever so close to being ok if they could have raised it just one more inch. The seats backs are very high and you end up staring at the blank dark blue seat back when you have no other view! Maybe they should have went to whole airplane hog and put TVs in the seats backs and charged for watching?! 15 quid for each leg seemed just about right. Any more, I'd rather pay the extra and go with LNER.

But aren't the seats 4-across in an identical width carriage to LNER. So how could a person sitting next to you be worse than the same situation on an Azuma?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
This thread is at risk of becoming a "master thread" which we are keen to avoid; we will keep it open for a little while longer however can I ask that if anyone wishes to discuss anything other than Lumo, this is done in a separate thread please (if there isn't a suitable thread already, please do feel free to create one).

So far we have dedicated threads for the following aspects relating to Lumo, and we would encourage more to be created where appropriate :)

Edit: there is now also a thread to discuss Railways versus Flying on the South East to Scotland axis of services

Last edited:

Mainline421

Regarding the discussion earlier on this thread, pleased to confirm the tickets were still honoured without any reservation. No problems unless you count an automated announcement at Kings Cross saying to use an alternative service if you don't have a reservation, someone even had an any permitted fare from ticket office thinking it was the LNER departure and was accepted.

DanNCL

Established Member
From what you saw, how did the member of staff on the platform stop the train?
If you read some of the earlier posts you’ll see that the shouting from the member of staff on the platform has transpired to have been coincidental to the train making a sudden stop whilst pulling away.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
From what you saw, how did the member of staff on the platform stop the train?
I was wondering this myself. Do the Lumo trains have staff despatching their trains at Morpeth? Does a member of onboard staff observe the departure of the train or is it solely down to the Driver?

Established Member
I was wondering this myself. Do the Lumo trains have staff despatching their trains at Morpeth? Does a member of onboard staff observe the departure of the train or is it solely down to the Driver?
All Lumo trains are self despatched by the driver, using the onboard cameras. At no station are they despatched by staff.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
There was a member of uniformed Lumo staff dispatching Lumo services at Morpeth yesterday.
Yes, there was a member of staff but were they actually safety critical to the dispatch or just there to provide assistance to passengers.

DanNCL

Established Member
Yes, there was a member of staff but were they actually safety critical to the dispatch or just there to provide assistance to passengers.
They were certainly behaving as if they thought they were safety critical even if they weren’t.

g492p

All Lumo trains are self despatched by the driver, using the onboard cameras. At no station are they despatched by staff.
Pretty sure at KGX, NCL and I believe EDB, trains can’t be self dispatched, as they are TRTS operated with controlled signals. Also, the job description for their Customer Ambassadors advertised the role as requiring safety critical train dispatch.

Established Member
Pretty sure at KGX, NCL and I believe EDB, trains can’t be self dispatched, as they are TRTS operated with controlled signals. Also, the job description for their Customer Ambassadors advertised the role as requiring safety critical train dispatch.
In event of camera failure I can imagine the CA doing a despatch.
But, to my best knowledge at all stations it is the driver who does this using there onboard cameras.
Driver can also contact signaller to request signal, also, as Dan says, TRTS could be pressed by driver.

g492p

In event of camera failure I can imagine the CA doing a despatch.
But, to my best knowledge at all stations it is the driver who does this using there onboard cameras.
Driver can also contact signaller to request signal, also, as Dan says, TRTS could be pressed by driver.
True, although I don’t believe this is ever done at KGX or NCL by any of the operators, even for ECS movements. Also, the crew would need to maintain their competency, which would require semi regularly dispatching the train. Would be interesting to know how they work it.

Established Member
True, although I don’t believe this is ever done at KGX or NCL by any of the operators, even for ECS movements. Also, the crew would need to maintain their competency, which would require semi regularly dispatching the train. Would be interesting to know how they work it.
How do GTR depart Kings Cross when driver only operated?

DanNCL

Established Member
TPE did it at Newcastle with the 185s, and Northern still do it there with all of their services.

g492p

TPE did it at Newcastle with the 185s, and Northern still do it there with all of their services.
Ah Interesting. I was under the impression the guard went with the unit ECS on Northern, but I must have misunderstood. I believe Lumo operate with 2 drivers and 3 Ambassadors per train at the moment. Would be interesting to know how the work their trains operationally, and how Ambassadors keep up their dispatch competency.

Established Member
Ah Interesting. I was under the impression the guard went with the unit ECS on Northern, but I must have misunderstood. I believe Lumo operate with 2 drivers and 3 Ambassadors per train at the moment. Would be interesting to know how the work their trains operationally, and how Ambassadors keep up their dispatch competency.
Think it's 2 Ambassadors normally.

DanNCL

Established Member
Ah Interesting. I was under the impression the guard went with the unit ECS on Northern, but I must have misunderstood.
Newcastle - Heaton is often driver only. ECS moves between Heaton and other locations often pick up/drop off a guard at Newcastle. The guard operates the TRTS plunger when they’re present on the train.

Think it's 2 Ambassadors normally.
I believe Lumo operate with 2 drivers and 3 Ambassadors per train at the moment. Would be interesting to know how the work their trains operationally, and how Ambassadors keep up their dispatch competency.
Lumo can run with two or three ambassadors.

g492p

Newcastle - Heaton is often driver only. ECS moves between Heaton and other locations often pick up/drop off a guard at Newcastle. The guard operates the TRTS plunger when they’re present on the train.

Lumo can run with two or three ambassadors.
I would be curious to see how they dispatch KGX, as all passenger trains are currently dispatched by a gaurd or dispatcher or a combination of both. Especially as it’s a station that very frequently has late runners onto the platforms.

Driver068

....The guard operates the TRTS plunger when they’re present on the train....
Sorry to digress but Guard only operates TRTS on Northern trains when in passenger service. ECS is the responsibility of the driver regardless or not if a guard is present

Status
Not open for further replies.