• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Madrid Interconnector

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backroom_boy

Is the AVE interconnector tunnel open now between Madrid Atocha and Madrid Chamartín stations?
Hard to tell from a google search as there seems to be multiple tunnels between those two stations but its unclear if the AVE service is running between them.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LeeLivery

Established Member
There are three tunnels - 2 Iberian gauge, 1 AVE.

I've had to head to Spanish language search results on Google and I can't seem to say for certain either...

I found one article reporting it was supposed to open Q2 2020, but pushed back to Q4.
https://www.trenvista.net/noticias/...ad-atocha-chamartin-abrira-a-finales-de-2020/

Spanish wiki also says 2020 but it hasn't been updated to say if it's open or not. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Túneles_ferroviarios_Atocha-Chamartín

I've had a look on Adif and there's been no press release to say it's open.
http://prensa.adifaltavelocidad.es/nde/u08/GAP/Prensa.nsf/portada

And the International Rail Journal hasn't reported the opening, so all in all I'm betting opening is imminent, but not open yet. May even be on Monday.

(There's also a good article I found if you're interested on HSR liberalisation in Spain
https://cincodias.elpais.com/cincodias/2020/12/23/companias/1608755148_754350.html)

stuu

Established Member
No, not yet. There is a blog in Spanish (google translate works fine) explaining the Madrid situation, written by someone very knowledgeable about Spanish railways

dutchflyer

Established Member
My unxerstandig as that the normal gauge AVE tracks were combined/aside with the 2nd, hence newer cercanias tunnel.
Did not look myself for this, but a usual very knowledgeable and in /en/ forum re most major railways of this world can also be found on skyscrapercity. Perhaps someone else can take a look there?
+feliz nuevo ano!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The last link listed above does say that the Atocha-Chamartin link is "completed", but that's not quite the same as being in service.

It also shows load testing taking place on the Teixeiras Viaduct on the route under construction between Puebla de Sanabria and Ourense on the Galician AVE line.
This 2019 piece shows some of the other works on this line, which is set to open Dec 2021.
Building the AVE high-speed line to Galicia | ITRANSPORTE (revistaitransporte.com)

No, not yet. There is a blog in Spanish (google translate works fine) explaining the Madrid situation, written by someone very knowledgeable about Spanish railways

Very interesting blog, it's evidently a lot more complicated than at first sight.

Google Translate doesn't work too well with technical stuff.
I was mystified by the term Bath Sales Knot, until I realised it was its attempt at translating Bifurcacion Venta de Baños.
It's even worse at translating from Hungarian...

Last edited:
I see that trains through the new tunnel will not be able to call at Atocha initially - 'Low Level' platforms being part of a later phase. It will be interesting to see how this is timetabled and marketed, with perhaps more through services and more focus on Chamartin as the principal Madrid station.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I see that trains through the new tunnel will not be able to call at Atocha initially - 'Low Level' platforms being part of a later phase. It will be interesting to see how this is timetabled and marketed, with perhaps more through services and more focus on Chamartin as the principal Madrid station.

Looks like its main use initially will be for standard gauge stock transfer between north and south networks, and simplifying fleet maintenance.
They can also remove the existing gauge converters for the Cercanias route and reuse them elsewhere on the expanding mixed network.
Using Chamartin to take overflow from Atocha is another use.
I couldn't follow all the changes needed but through AVE working from the south to Barajas T4 is targeted after adaptation of the layout/OHL/power supply.

LeeLivery

Established Member

Great blog, definitely going to keep an eye on it

The last link listed above does say that the Atocha-Chamartin link is "completed", but that's not quite the same as being in service.

It also shows load testing taking place on the Teixeiras Viaduct on the route under construction between Puebla de Sanabria and Ourense on the Galician AVE line.
This 2019 piece shows some of the other works on this line, which is set to open Dec 2021.
Building the AVE high-speed line to Galicia | ITRANSPORTE (revistaitransporte.com)

The HSR construction through some of the terrain in Spain is truly impressive. Makes HS2 through the Chilterns look easy.

stuu

Established Member
The HSR construction through some of the terrain in Spain is truly impressive. Makes HS2 through the Chilterns look easy.
I wouldn't ever look at the costs compared to HS2, at least not without a stiff drink to hand

Austriantrain

Established Member
I wouldn't ever look at the costs compared to HS2, at least not without a stiff drink to hand

Yeah well, Spain is mostly empty, I am not so sure that environmental protection is on a par with other places (EU legislation notwithstanding) and their HS network is a political project which would not withstand even the most benevolent cost-benefit-analysis (not that I have a problem with that, but I do have a problem with how little the newly-built lines are used).

Austriantrain

Established Member

The gist of it seems to be that once the connection opens, most AVE to Valencia and the Levante region will start from Chamartin, so that some platforms at Atocha can be taken oou in order to gain the necessary space to build the new underground through station there.

Only after this station is finished and the connection to the Barcelona HSL built will the final layout be achieved and the effects on the timetables be judged.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
According to European Rail Timetable, Chamartin station has been renamed Madrid-Chamartín-Clara Campoamor.
Quite a mouthful - they will refer to it as Madrid CCC in the timetable.

Status
Not open for further replies.