• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maintenance Depot Driver - Heaton

Status
Not open for further replies.

CreamNCookies

Hi All, after being let down in the past by putting all my eggs in one application i've learnt to apply for more than one. Amazingly i've been very lucky pre-covid, but everything is on hold... until now.

I have an interview next week for the role of MDD at Heaton. Now i'm trying to figure out a bit more about the role and have been researching much about it. And really I think I have everything I need to know to be prepared for the interview. But does anyone happen to have a knowledge of the roster? I know there will be many many night shifts, and this doesn't phase me at all. Perhaps there's a MDD on here I can ping a few questions.

This role really has intrigued me and the fact there's a lot more to it than driving trains makes it more appealing to me.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Foz

Hi All, after being let down in the past by putting all my eggs in one application i've learnt to apply for more than one. Amazingly i've been very lucky pre-covid, but everything is on hold... until now.

I have an interview next week for the role of MDD at Heaton. Now i'm trying to figure out a bit more about the role and have been researching much about it. And really I think I have everything I need to know to be prepared for the interview. But does anyone happen to have a knowledge of the roster? I know there will be many many night shifts, and this doesn't phase me at all. Perhaps there's a MDD on here I can ping a few questions.

This role really has intrigued me and the fact there's a lot more to it than driving trains makes it more appealing to me.
Hi there,

I'm not a MDD but I have applied for the role in leeds before and have just applied again recently, I was told in a previous interview that the roster is mainly nights but not always and that shifts can vary in start times and shift length. For example I believe you could do 7am to 1pm shift or a 8pm to 4am shift with a average of 35 hours per week. You do get your shift rota weeks in advance giving you time to plan around work.

Hope this helps

CreamNCookies

Additional fuel for my interview there.

Am I right in assuming the interview may be similar to a DMI?

Anyone know the psychometric standard required for this role please? The interview guide mentions “industry standard” but I’ve heard Northern now want enhanced ?

Tgh75

I did it in September last year and they required enhanced for the whole thing. As far as I’m aware nothings changed

CreamNCookies

Not sure why i'm surprised that you require enhanced standard for this role, but i'm lucky to hold this at the moment. It's getting closer and closer to the interview and i'm starting to stress, mainly because its a video interview o_O

CreamNCookies

PM me if you need, though I doubt I can tell you much more than you already know
Hey its just the fact its a video interview and my Internet is somewhat intermittent. Ive managed to find somewhere with a more stable connection, so lets hope it works

Halliday25

Hi guys, I also have an interview for this role in Leeds. Would someone be kind enough to PM me with any further details about the interview? I haven’t had an interview for 5+ years so I’m slightly apprehensive.

Foz

Hi guys, I also have an interview for this role in Leeds. Would someone be kind enough to PM me with any further details about the interview? I haven’t had an interview for 5+ years so I’m slightly apprehensive.
Can I ask did you get the invite to the interview today as I've also got an application in for Leeds and I got the email saying that they are currently looking at applicants last week.

I did go for the interview for the same role back in 2016 and can say that it was a pretty standard interview, just remember to use the star technique when asked questions. Pretty much a calm interview so nothing much to worry about.

Best of luck.

PM’d you.

Halliday25

Can I ask did you get the invite to the interview today as I've also got an application in for Leeds and I got the email saying that they are currently looking at applicants last week.

I did go for the interview for the same role back in 2016 and can say that it was a pretty standard interview, just remember to use the star technique when asked questions. Pretty much a calm interview so nothing much to worry about.

Best of luck.
I applied around 3 / 4 weeks ago and it stated my application was ‘under consideration’ until last Thursday which is when I got sent an email with an interview date. Thanks, yeah I was a little worried about it but I suppose you can only do your best. Thanks

CreamNCookies

How did everyone get on at the interview stage?
Anyone through?

I didn't pass. Found out relatively straight after my interview. But I have to say my heart was not in the interview, i think finding out it is mainly night shifts did that to me.

Interview was more intense than the interviews i've had for other roles in the railway, more like a DMI I can only assume (so I count this interview as valuable experience!)

The main tip I can offer is to tailor your answers around safety and procedures.

In regards to assessments, i'm sure they are the same psychometrics as a train driver.

Halliday25

I didn't pass. Found out relatively straight after my interview. But I have to say my heart was not in the interview, i think finding out it is mainly night shifts did that to me.

Interview was more intense than the interviews i've had for other roles in the railway, more like a DMI I can only assume (so I count this interview as valuable experience!)

The main tip I can offer is to tailor your answers around safety and procedures.

In regards to assessments, i'm sure they are the same psychometrics as a train driver.
Hi, would I be able to PM you please? Not really sure how to use the feature on this website as I have only posted a couple of times.

Regards

LCC106

Established Member
Halliday25 I think you need to make 5 posts before you can PM

LCC106

Established Member
It was his opinion that MDD was the best job ever, far preferable to mainline driving I seem to recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.