• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Man refuses to drive bus because it 'promotes homosexuality'"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexbus12

What are peoples views on this? I've just been having an argument over twitter with someone who thinks the driver should have had a choice whether or not he drove a bus promoting pride. I personally think the driver ought to reconsider the career he's entered, but that's my opinion

https://news.sky.com/story/bus-driv...pride-themed-bus-11785459?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

A bus driver who allegedly refused to drive a Pride-themed bus because it "promotes homosexuality" has been suspended.

The Konectbus employee objected because the service number on front of the 501 service to Thickthorn was rainbow coloured.

He allegedly told customers in Norwich: "This bus promotes homosexuality and I refuse to drive it.

According to Becca Sears, the driver then told passengers they would have to wait for him to swap buses.

She has since lodged a complaint with staff at the bus station, adding: "I'm aware everyone is entitled to their own views, however, if you can't do your job properly because of your bigotry, maybe you need to rethink your choices."
Advertisement
Replying to her on Twitter, Konectbus said it finds "this attitude, behaviour and level of customer service completely unacceptable".

Go East Englia, which runs Konectbus, added: "Go East Anglia prides itself on values that support diversity and inclusion and has been a champion of Norwich Pride since 2017.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cnjb8

Established Member
I think this:
So what if someone is in the LQBTQ+ community. Just get over yourself.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It's a bit of an over-reaction. We're taking three digits on the destination screen that happen to be rainbow-coloured. I don't see any other visible branding on the bus that celebrates pride or "promotes homosexuality". If it was painted in bright pink and draped with a feather boa, I could understand why someone may be a little bit embarrassed to drive it, but this is utter nonsense.

Where does the line get drawn? What if the bus is displaying an advert for pork pies, or alcohol? That would potentially be offensive to some religious groups. What about adverts for tea or coffee which contain caffeine - again frowned upon by some.

The_Train

Established Member
The driver should be sacked and put on a bus that will take him to the 21st century

Kingspanner

We are living in a time where many individuals who once had to keep aspects of their lives hidden are increasingly free to express their nature. Good for them. It is a tougher time for the bigots and the haters. Too bad.
Why this is a good thing is because the moral high ground belongs to those who encounter diversity and respond with compassion and understanding.

6Gman

Established Member
What are peoples views on this? I've just been having an argument over twitter with someone who thinks the driver should have had a choice whether or not he drove a bus promoting pride. I personally think the driver ought to reconsider the career he's entered, but that's my opinion

https://news.sky.com/story/bus-driv...pride-themed-bus-11785459?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

He's employed to drive his employer's bus. For his employer to decide what can or can't be featured on the bus.

Megafuss

On face value It's obviously an awful story, but what struck me was that Konectbus can afford Hanover displays with multicolour function....

big all

On Moderation
bigotry is off off course 100 % wrong
peoples preferences have never bothered me i marched in the 70s through brixton to brockwell park with rock against racism
but i think when peoples belifes are so deeply seated often re education and a bit off allowance helps people adapt better than a stick approach where it just causes more hatred
where as the helpful approach overlooking some seemingly bigoted actions can indeed make freinds for ever through better understanding rather than black and white actions

we need to remember someone who is bigoted and cannot be changed is still a possibly antisocial bigot
someone to whom you point out there actions are not good and perhaps bigoted but is willing to change can be a hero

Last edited:

Condor7

A bigot is someone who is intolerant of another’s views. That is something that could be levelled at most of us, as we can see on this very forum, whenever someone expresses a viewpoint on any subject many disagree. In life we all agree or disagree with another’s views making us all bigots at one time or another.

This is more a case of him not wanting to be seen to be associated with the Pride movement which may be for religious reasons or other reasons we are not aware of. Let’s not be too harsh until we know the full story.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
A bigot is someone who is intolerant of another’s views. That is something that could be levelled at most of us, as we can see on this very forum, whenever someone expresses a viewpoint on any subject many disagree. In life we all agree or disagree with another’s views making us all bigots at one time or another.

This is more a case of him not wanting to be seen to be associated with the Pride movement which may be for religious reasons or other reasons we are not aware of. Let’s not be too harsh until we know the full story.
If it's for religious reasons that doesn't make it okay. Just as my right to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose, a person's freedom of religion ends at the moment it starts to affect others. Religiously motivated intolerance is still intolerance, and isn't justified by mythology.

The_Train

Established Member
If it's for religious reasons that doesn't make it okay. Just as my right to swing my fist ends at the tip of your nose, a person's freedom of religion ends at the moment it starts to affect others. Religiously motivated intolerance is still intolerance, and isn't justified by mythology.

An excellent post!

Mwanesh

A bus is a bus. He should leave the job . We all have different views on life. The time i step into my workplace everything is cast aside . My religious and political views are for outside work. Work is work end of .

carlberry

Established Member
The oddest thing about this is how it suggests that the rainbow is somehow completely connected to the Pride event (As the picture suggests that the coloured bus number is the only change that's been made).

From memory the rainbow has been used by lots of religious groups in the past and was used extensively in South Africa to suggest inclusivity. Somebody even put on in the sky around here a few hours ago!

Essan

The oddest thing about this is how it suggests that the rainbow is somehow completely connected to the Pride event (As the picture suggests that the coloured bus number is the only change that's been made).

From memory the rainbow has been used by lots of religious groups in the past and was used extensively in South Africa to suggest inclusivity. Somebody even put on in the sky around here a few hours ago!

Indeed.

The gods forbid if the bus had been emblazoned with an advert for Ritchie Blackmore's latest band tour .....

Or, indeed, a remake of the children's TV series about characters called Bungle and Zippy

d9009alycidon

Guy obviously doesn't follow the news, if he did he would have known he was heading for trouble. The Ashers Bakery case went all the way to the Supreme Court and that decision is now being tested in the European court of human rights

carlberry

Established Member
Indeed.

The gods forbid if the bus had been emblazoned with an advert for Ritchie Blackmore's latest band tour .....

Or, indeed, a remake of the children's TV series about characters called Bungle and Zippy
Eveybody forgets George!

si404

Established Member
We are living in a time where many individuals who once had to keep aspects of their lives hidden are increasingly free to express their nature.
which is great. But you are demanding this driver keeps aspects of his life hidden, or be sacked.

It's the same type of "toe the line" demand for conformity that is everything that that rainbow symbol is meant to be against.
Why this is a good thing is because the moral high ground belongs to those who encounter diversity and respond with compassion and understanding.
and the sentence before this was responding to diversity of thought with the compassionless "Too bad."

Live and let live - rather than hound heretics with hate!

Journeyman

Established Member
Bus driver was wrong and deserves to have the book thrown at him, but I also get very annoyed with companies jumping on the pride bandwagon in an effort to prove how "woke" they are.

Recent ad that appeared on my Instagram feed was all about how Barclays were supporting Pride. "Why are we supporting Pride?" they asked. Probably because they've twigged there's money in it.

The_Train

Established Member
Bus driver was wrong and deserves to have the book thrown at him, but I also get very annoyed with companies jumping on the pride bandwagon in an effort to prove how "woke" they are.

Recent ad that appeared on my Instagram feed was all about how Barclays were supporting Pride. "Why are we supporting Pride?" they asked. Probably because they've twigged there's money in it.

Of course companies will jump on any bandwagon that is deemed to improve their standing and reputation amongst consumers. On the other side of the coin though, it's important for Pride to get this sort of support and advertising to ensure it reaches the maximum audience around the world

Jordan Adam

Established Member
I think he would find the Pride flag promotes equality between all individuals and the push to end inequality. Yes Pride specifically focuses on LGBTQ+ people, however if i recall correctly straight white men are not the ones who have been oppressed, taunted and murdered for decades purely for who they love!

It's very clear that this individual is stuck in the 1800s as the idea that you can "promoting homosexuality" is utter nonsense, it's not a product! You don't get to pick if you are or not.

Of course companies will jump on any bandwagon that is deemed to improve their standing and reputation amongst consumers. On the other side of the coin though, it's important for Pride to get this sort of support and advertising to ensure it reaches the maximum audience around the world

Agree with both of you, it doesn't bother me so much companies jumping on the bandwagon, but it does make you ask the question. Where were they 5/10 years ago before it was the popular "trend"? (Obviously in no way implying being LGBTQ+ is a trend, but rather than jumping on the bandwagon is!)

si404

Established Member
Guy obviously doesn't follow the news, if he did he would have known he was heading for trouble. The Ashers Bakery case went all the way to the Supreme Court and that decision is now being tested in the European court of human rights
From the supreme court ruling on this:

"It is deeply humiliating, and an affront to human dignity, to deny someone a service because of that person’s race, gender, disability, sexual orientation or any of the other protected personal characteristics,” “But that is not what happened in this case and it does the project of equal treatment no favors to seek to extend it beyond its proper scope.”

ClydeCoaster

He is certainly entitled to his personal and religious beliefs and to express those in a personal capacity, however as everyone points out, he's at work and he's being paid to drive that bus - if he refuses, then it's a disciplinary. You have to look twice at that bus to notice anything different about it anyway, it's not exactly as in yer face as some of the other Go Ahead Pride vehicles...

Journeyman

Established Member
I think he would find the Pride flag promotes equality between all individuals and the push to end inequality. Yes Pride specifically focuses on LGBTQ+ people, however if i recall correctly straight white men are not the ones who have been oppressed, taunted and murdered for decades purely for who they love!

It's very clear that this individual is stuck in the 1800s as the idea that you can "promoting homosexuality" is utter nonsense, it's not a product! You don't get to pick if you are or not.

Completely agree. There's still a lot of people, mainly at the more conservative end of the religious spectrum, who think that if you don't talk about homosexuality, you can pretend it doesn't exist, and people won't decide it's a good idea! It's a gruesomely destructive way of thinking that leads to things like conversion therapy and efforts to deliver people from the demon of homosexuality. If you want first hand testimony on how destructive that is, read "Undivided" by Vicky Beeching, a Christian singer who came out five years ago. It's a very painful read - she's had a horrendous time.

The idea that you can make a moral stand by refusing to "promote" homosexuality is ultimately pretty futile, and I think the driver was wrong, but it does raise questions of how much you have to morally compromise yourself in the workplace. My former employer was involved in some stuff I found quite repugnant (completely unrelated to this topic) but I had to pretend I was fine with it, or I wouldn't have been able to work there. I'm glad I'm not in that position any more, but sadly capitalism forces us to compromise on things like this all the time.

it doesn't bother me so much companies jumping on the bandwagon, but it does make you ask the question. Where were they 5/10 years ago before it was the popular "trend"? (Obviously in no way implying being LGBTQ+ is a trend, but rather than jumping on the bandwagon is!)

They weren't supporting it because they didn't think it would make them money, is my own cynical view of the matter. I think companies should generally keep their noses out of stuff like this, to be honest. It should be a given that they treat LGBTQ+ people like actual human beings because (shock, horror), they are!

Darklord8899

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions....
However, how he showed his disapproval was wrong and he was rightly fired....

That driver would have had a fit if he'd seen what my Local bus company did in support of Pride...

Lothian 584 in all over rainbow wrap (please note: not my picture)

10016999.jpg

Jordan Adam

Established Member
Completely agree. There's still a lot of people, mainly at the more conservative end of the religious spectrum, who think that if you don't talk about homosexuality, you can pretend it doesn't exist, and people won't decide it's a good idea! It's a gruesomely destructive way of thinking that leads to things like conversion therapy and efforts to deliver people from the demon of homosexuality. If you want first hand testimony on how destructive that is, read "Undivided" by Vicky Beeching, a Christian singer who came out five years ago. It's a very painful read - she's had a horrendous time.

The idea that you can make a moral stand by refusing to "promote" homosexuality is ultimately pretty futile, and I think the driver was wrong, but it does raise questions of how much you have to morally compromise yourself in the workplace. My former employer was involved in some stuff I found quite repugnant (completely unrelated to this topic) but I had to pretend I was fine with it, or I wouldn't have been able to work there. I'm glad I'm not in that position any more, but sadly capitalism forces us to compromise on things like this all the time.

Spot on. Sadly the fact conversion therapy is still legal in most (even "liberal") countries shows we still have a long way to go. People can have whatever views they want on it, but there's no place for homophobic hate speech in any form in 2019.

I don't think companies (specifically bus operators) should be political at all, however i do think there's a clear difference between making a political statement and supporting / pushing basic human rights and acceptance. Although i'm not religious i don't agree with the "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life" adverts that were in circulation a number of years back, to me this is a strong political stance. However the "Some People Are Gay, Get Over It Adverts" i my view were acceptable as they were not trying to "oppress the straights" or anyone who isn't gay. They were simply trying to spread acceptance. In the workplace you should act in a professional manner at all times even if you don't agree with something, this is where the driver in this situation has failed. They've acted in a unprofessional way and created a scene when there didn't need to be. As such it's only right they got the sack.

They weren't supporting it because they didn't think it would make them money, is my own cynical view of the matter. I think companies should generally keep their noses out of stuff like this, to be honest. It should be a given that they treat LGBTQ+ people like actual human beings because (shock, horror), they are!

Indeed, i was simply furthering the point that it's clearly a bandwagon. If companies were really so Pro-LGBTQ+ (as many now claim to be) why has it taken them until now to show support. As you say the reason is down to repute with the public. I think it's a difficult one to get right as it's good to see support for the LGBTQ+ community but at the same time it's somewhat irritating to see Pride being used as a marketing tool.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions....
However, how he showed his disapproval was wrong and he was rightly fired....

That driver would have had a fit if he'd seen what my Local bus company did in support of Pride...

10016999.jpg

Some of the comments on Lothian social media about this livery were appalling. I recall one person in particular saying they would refuse to ride this bus if it turned up on their route. Must say it's their loss!

That aside it's easily one of the best Pride liveries in a while.

Ethano92

I find it distressing that we still see fully grown people having fits over homosexuality. In the future, I hope the matter will be looked at in the same respect as equality between women and men, and equality between between ethnic minorities and Caucasian people; a no brainer by an overwhelming majority of society. There are simply no excuses, and no reason for a rainbow symbols presence and the people its commonly thought of to represent should bother you. I understand some feel the rainbow symbol gets pushed in their face at every opportunity (writing this I just passed over a crossing with the coloured stripes on the floor) however once we stop seeing so much prejudice and discrimination it won't be necessary to show support to inclusivity as that will be expected and so I'm sure many rainbow symbols may disappear. This is all opinion of course.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation

10016999.jpg
I can only think the design briefing for this went somewhat like;
- So this pride livery, how should it look?
- Yes.

Anyways, enough with this livery talk, this seams like something I'd expect to find in the sub reddit r/nottheonion and it's kind of funny and pathetic. Like really, it's a few numbers on a bus in a different colour.

riceuten

Imagine he'd refused to drive a bus that had an advert for the Equalities and Human Rights Commission on it ? Would numpties be defending him then ? (they probably would...). His "religious" or "ideological" freedom does not override anyone else's - and in the case of being an employee, is against the law. I suggest he reconsiders his career choices if working with (some sections) of the public is so vexatious for him

riceuten

From the supreme court ruling on this:

"It is deeply humiliating, and an affront to human dignity, to deny someone a service because of that person’s race, gender, disability, sexual orientation or any of the other protected personal characteristics,” “But that is not what happened in this case and it does the project of equal treatment no favors to seek to extend it beyond its proper scope.”

Er, by refusing to drive a bus, he is most certainly "deny[ing] someone a service"

Status
Not open for further replies.