• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester City - charter train

Status
Not open for further replies.

telstarbox

Established Member
http://m.mcfc.co.uk/?name=mancity&i=12323/1/0&artId=572025

City have arranged a charter service with Virgin Trains:

We know living near the nation's capital and following the Blues is a big commitment, particularly for midweek matches.

City in the City Express will ensure supporters making the journey north to the Etihad Stadium for our UEFA Champions League clash against Dynamo Kiev on Tuesday 15 March, at 7.45pm, can travel home on the same night of the game.

The last direct train from Manchester to London leaves at 9.15pm, which means it's usually impossible for well-travelled Blues to enjoy a midweek fixture.

But now, thanks to our chartered train service, it's easier than ever for fans to cheer on Manuel Pellegrini's men as they try to secure their place in the Champions League Quarter Finals.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
I don't like city, but fair play to them for doing this

As I recall, When Hull were in the Premiership, Chelsea did this for their fans - the train staying in Platform 7 which meant the return East Coast service from London had to use Platform 6

greatkingrat

Established Member
2215 departure seems a bit optimistic for a 1945 kickoff - it is a mile and a half from the Etihad to Piccadilly.

SeanG

Charter a few trams too? ;)

I do find this odd though that the chartered service is from London TO a home game, looks like City are becoming the new Utd

telstarbox

Established Member
For a MCFC away game in London it's usually possible to get a train back to Manchester - the last one tonight is 2300 from Euston, which would allow fans to get back from Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea or West Ham.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
2215 departure seems a bit optimistic for a 1945 kickoff - it is a mile and a half from the Etihad to Piccadilly.

True, but as it's a charter running at a quiet time it can leave a bit late rather than leave on time and empty?

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Shouldn't they get the 323s that run from Piccadilly to the stadium too? I didn't know that there was a tram stop there too!

6Gman

Established Member
Shouldn't they get the 323s that run from Piccadilly to the stadium too? I didn't know that there was a tram stop there too!

I think you may be confusing the two Manchester footie teams ...

:)

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I think you may be confusing the two Manchester footie teams ...

:)

Yes Manchester United has both a metrolink station and a purpose built National Rail station where has Manchester City just has to make do with a metrolink stop although, Ashbury station is not that far away.
Sam

Established Member
Stonesourscotty:2452012 said:
They could have just hired a 153 and that would have done the job
A taxi would have had empty seats:D

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Ah, of course! I'm not interested in football so forgotten that there are two clubs.

Gemz91

Haven't Man City been getting poor attendances for Champions League games now for a couple of seasons? Probably a desperate attempt to boost them a bit.

TH172341

It's just do-able provided you leave on the 90th minute, and are either near the front of the tram queue or walk briskly. I've caught a service just around that time a few times after going to the match with mates, and can make it there with around 10-15 mins to spare usually.

Altfish

Is this the same Man City that constantly rib their neighbours about, "All your fans are from London"?

MCR247

Established Member
Not sure, there's not normally enough of them for people to hear what they're saying

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Who on earth is this train for? Why on earth would there be people living in London who support a Mancunian football team?

8A Rail

Established Member
Who on earth is this train for? Why on earth would there be people living in London who support a Mancunian football team?
Why on earth would supporters from all over the world support the likes MUFC, Liverpool FC, Arsenal, Man City and numerous other teams including those on the continent, because they wish too.

pemma

Veteran Member

There's a lot of Northerners who've moved down South for work or other reasons. Should they change which football team they support?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
because they want to :roll: What is wrong with that? Why do you do something you like?

Always so adversarial.

Be pleasant, or please don't post. It was a perfectly valid query.

To continue, I might do a lot of things, but then that's just me. I'm expressing surprise that there are more than the odd one or two of these people - the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds and enough to fill up a train and justify the large expense of chartering one seems very odd to someone who doesn't follow football. Particularly for a subordinate team?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Always so adversarial.

Be pleasant, or please don't post. It was a perfectly valid query.

To continue, I might do a lot of things, but then that's just me. I'm expressing surprise that there are more than the odd one or two of these people - the fact that there are hundreds and hundreds and enough to fill up a train and justify the large expense of chartering one seems very odd to someone who doesn't follow football. Particularly for a subordinate team?

That was pleasant!

I assume you have never traveled from Manchester to London after a Manchester United game, especially on a Sunday! People fly in from all over the world to watch football.

However in relation to this train I suspect the driving force is the TV influenced kick off time and the lack of any suitable late train to get fans home after full time. I doubt the club are loosing money.

Status
Not open for further replies.