• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Day Ranger - Extended Area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterY

Established Member
I'm looking at spending some time in Manchester in Sept. Does the Manchester day ranger - extended area (£14.70) include the entire Metro link system? I'm also over 60, can I claim the concessionary price of £9.70?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you are referring to the Wayfarer, then yes, it includes the Metrolink.

If the following applies:
TFGM said:
A Concession Wayfarer ticket can only be used by holders of English National Concessionary Travel Passes for people of state pension age and disabled people.
then you can purchase the concessionary fare.

Worth noting that the ticket is only valid on tram & train from 09:30, and at any time on buses.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I'm looking at spending some time in Manchester in Sept. Does the Manchester day ranger - extended area (£14.70) include the entire Metro link system? I'm also over 60, can I claim the concessionary price of £9.70?
Manchester Wayfarer covers the whole Metrolink system. That may be what you are referring to.

Par

The TFGM statement quoted, mentions State Retirement Age for concessionary travel, so 66?

60 year olds do not (to the best of my knowledge) qualify for concessionary travel in GM.

ChrisC

Established Member
The TFGM statement quoted, mentions State Retirement Age for concessionary travel, so 66?

60 year olds do not (to the best of my knowledge) qualify for concessionary travel in GM.
That is now definitely the current situation and the Concessionary Wayfarer is only for those at State Retirement Age, now 66.

Previously, until about 3 years ago it was available for anyone over the age of 60. I remember using the concessionary version 4 years ago, shortly after my 60th birthday, but it was very soon raised to state retirement age after that resulting in me not being able to use it again. Incidentally the price was much lower then at around £6. I also had quite a few problems getting bus drivers to accept it. I used one printed on rail ticket stock and because the price undercut their own day tickets they insisted it wasn’t valid and was just a rail ticket. I suppose a concessionary Wayfarer, looking like a rail ticket, was something that they didn’t see very often.

The Concessionary Derbyshire Wayfarer is still available for those aged 60 and over and is very good value at just £6.70.

Status
Not open for further replies.