• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Metrolink help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Hi all I am doing the Manchester Marathon sunday 3rd April I have tried looking online to no avail im wondering if anyone can please tell me what time and frequency the first tram is from Sale Water Park tram stop , and how long it takes from there to Old Trafford also if possible the price of a return

Many thanks in advance for any help greatly appreciated

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Sale Water Park to Old Trafford passes through two zones (2 + 3), so is £2.40 single, or £3.10 for a one day off peak-day travelcard. Service frequency is likely to be every twelve minutes, and you'll need to interchange at Trafford Bar (or Cornbrook) as your origin and destination stations are on different lines.

Think the first inbound service from Sale Water Park towards Trafford Bar on a Sunday is something like 0728 and 15 minutes from there to Trafford Bar.

Where's the Manchester Marathon meeting/starting point?

Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
Sale Water Park to Old Trafford passes through two zones (2 + 3), so is £2.40 single, or £3.10 for a one day off peak-day travelcard. Service frequency is likely to be every twelve minutes, and you'll need to interchange at Trafford Bar (or Cornbrook) as your origin and destination stations are on different lines.

Think the first inbound service from Sale Water Park towards Trafford Bar on a Sunday is something like 0728 and 15 minutes from there to Trafford Bar.
So I can get another tram from Trafford bar to old Trafford tram stop ?

Thanks for your help mate

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
So I can get another tram from Trafford bar to old Trafford tram stop ?
Yep. One further stop, but away from the City Centre, and using the separate Altrincham line. Only a couple of minutes between the two stops, but if you interchange at Trafford Bar, you'll need to exit the station and cross over from one side to the other up at street level and you might just miss a connection. Cornbrook is an easier cross-platform interchange, but means additional travelling time as you'll be doubling back along the same section of line.

Believe Old Trafford tram stop is one of the recommended Metrolink stations to use for race participants but services could be busy on that final leg of your journey on Sunday morning as many others will be taking part (but probably no worse than most cricket or football events).

Last edited:

dave87016

Established Member
Yep. One further stop, but away from the City Centre, and using the separate Altrincham line. Only a couple of minutes between the two stops, but if you interchange at Trafford Bar, you'll need to exit the station and cross over from one side to the other up at street level and you might just miss a connection. Cornbrook is an easier cross-platform interchange, but means additional travelling time as you'll be doubling back along the same section of line.

Believe Old Trafford tram stop is one of the recommended Metrolink stations to use for race participants but services could be busy on that final leg of your journey on Sunday morning as many others will be taking part (but probably no worse than most cricket or football events).

Thank you so much once again you have made life much easier for me I will take your advice and I really appreciate it pal

gnolife

Established Member
The way I'd suggest for your journey would be to alight at Firswood, then Old Trafford is just a 10-minute walk away

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Apparently Sunday 3rd April 2022 (day of the Manchester Marathon) saw the Metrolink system carry its highest ever number of passengers on a single day, some 114,000.

Brief extract of story...

The passenger numbers seen on Sunday speak for themselves as to just how essential Metrolink services are, not just for the people living within GM, but those visiting too.

javelin

Quite possibly, but now, of course, you're going to have to say when exactly. ;)

Quick google...

Thursday 2nd December 2021 saw 117,000 journeys recorded on the network – with Manchester United v Arsenal at Old Trafford helping to fuel a lot of these journeys. This was the highest number of journeys recorded on a weekday since March 2020 and was around 86% of pre-pandemic levels.

So pre-pandemic patronage was even higher than this. The wording isn't entirely clear on the press release we're discussing, but I'm pretty sure it's just referring to a record Sunday.

Last edited:

WatcherZero

Established Member
Metrolink patronage is always 25/30% higher than average in November/December when the markets are on before diving again in Jan/Feb and lowest during the summer holidays. (It seems that the weather/early nights is a prime demand generator)
I could believe 114,000 was the busiest Sunday in its history though as it operates reduced hours and fewer services on Sundays.

Last I heard from March patronage was bobbing along around 69% of pre-covid average but with 100%+ crowding on special events.

Status
Not open for further replies.