• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manchester Victoria tram stop set to reopen on Wednesday 18th February 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

familyguy99

Overhead poles are now up on Metrolink side at Manchester Victoria.

Lampposts and PIDS pole are up on new Victoria Metrolink platform and here is picture of pole for new tram shelter.

First piece of new track is down at Victoria for new inbound line for Metrolink.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

table38

Established Member
There's a nice aerial picture of the construction site in the Manchester Evening News (go to "view gallery" in the linked article)

JS44227859.jpg

familyguy99

More picture of Metrolink work going on at Victoria.

Overhead poles on Metrolink side now have support wires on them.

PIDS are now up on new Victoria Metrolink platform.

More overhead poles (Metrolink side) have started popping up at Victoria.

Work continued outside Victoria station.

All picture that I took of work going on at Victoria can be found on this link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157646152794785/

:D

familyguy99

Here are my latest pictures of work going on at Victoria station.

As you can see Metrolink platform is getting on well now.

These picture were took on stairs heading to MEN arena.

^^ Them ones.

Roof at Manchester Victoria is also getting on well too.

Work underneath Cheetham Hill Road bridge is getting on well too now.

Couple of picture outside Victoria station where work is for new Second City Centre line.

This is first piece of new tracks for new Second City centre line which is outside Football museum and paintworks.

This is where Exchange Square Metrolink stop will be and if everything go to plan then this station will be opening late 2015.

All rest of picture that I took today can be found on this link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157639117864276/

Last edited:

familyguy99

Manchester Victoria Metrolink station is set to open on Wednesday 18th February.

Metrolink set to return to Manchester Victoria station

Metrolink trams will roll back in to a new Manchester Victoria stop next month after a major overhaul to build new platforms and tracks.

The stop is expected to re-open to passengers by Wednesday 18 February, during a week of changes to Metrolink services that will allow an extended programme of work at Victoria and along Balloon Street to be completed.

The redesigned and expanded Metrolink stop will ultimately allow more frequent and flexible services to run through the iconic city centre railway station as part of the new Second City Crossing and wider tram network expansion.

During the project, managed and delivered by Network Rail as a key element of its redevelopment of the station, reduced services have been running through Victoria on a single line of track without stopping.

The final stages of the Metrolink project will require a sequence of changes to tram services over the course of next month’s half-term week.

Between Saturday 14 and Tuesday 17 February, no services will run to or through Victoria. The following services will run, alongside shuttle buses ferrying passengers into the city for drop-off and connections:

•Bury to Crumpsall (with shuttle bus between Crumpsall and Shudehill & Piccadilly Gardens)
•Oldham and Rochdale to Central Park (with shuttle bus between Central Park and Shudehill & Piccadilly Gardens)
•Altrincham to Piccadilly
•East Didsbury to Piccadilly
•Eccles to Ashton, via MediaCityUK
•Manchester Airport to Cornbrook

By Wednesday 18 February, trams from Bury and Rochdale will terminate at the new Victoria stop.

Services through Victoria – to Shudehill, Market Street and beyond – are expected to resume from the start of service on Saturday 21 February.

That milestone will result in the restoration of the six-minute service from Bury to the city centre and a direct Victoria to Piccadilly link.

Ian Joslin, area director for Network Rail, said: “The completion of and reopening of the tram stop at Manchester Victoria is a milestone in the redevelopment of the station. To allow us to complete the work, there will be disruption to tram services between 14 and 21 February and we apologise for that.

“However, the result will ultimately be a better tram service with better connections to the railway as part of the stunning new Manchester Victoria station.”

Peter Cushing, TfGM’s Metrolink Director, said: “We’re looking forward to welcoming our customers back on board at Victoria as the station’s wider redevelopment enters its final stages.

“We’ve been working closely with Network Rail to ensure this important stop reopens as soon as possible because, although there will still be a lot of construction activity in the station when that happens, it will restore key services and connections for passengers.

“There will be changes to services in the run up to the reopening – during the traditionally quieter half-term period – and we’ll be publicising these as widely as possible.

“With such a major programme of improvements across the Metrolink system at the moment, we’re grateful for people’s patience and this is reflected in the decision to freeze Metrolink fares this year.”

The Metrolink network as a whole is benefiting from a £1.5 billion investment in new lines, new trams and stop improvements, and Manchester Victoria is a key part of the network-wide upgrade.

Last month, Greater Manchester’s council leaders and transport bosses agreed that there would be no fare increase for Metrolink tickets in January 2015. The decision was made in light of the significant improvement work taking place across the Metrolink network.

Alongside the Victoria stop, major transformation work is also under way at the Deansgate-Castlefield stop, on the way for the St Peter’s Square stop, and the Second City Crossing (2CC) tramline is being built through the city centre.

The fare freeze will remain in place until the end of August 2015 for customers using paper tickets on trams – and will remain in place until 2016 for customers who start using get me there smart tickets when they become available on Metrolink during 2015.

The Manchester Victoria Metrolink stop works and associated enhancements are being funded by the Greater Manchester Transport Fund and European Regional Development Fund Programme 2007 to 2013.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=138

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Peering down from the bridge at the end of the main line platforms at Victoria today, it appears the new tram stop is going to have 3 platform lines.
One of these is the current non-stop route on the south side, and the adjacent platform surface and canopy is taking shape.

I rather expected 2 islands, one for each direction with 2 tracks and platform faces each.
But there appears only to be one platform line in the middle, serving both islands.
Is that right?
The northern island looks much further behind and has no surface or canopy yet.
Engineers were working on the northernmost track from this platform towards the junctions to the east.

From my untrained eye, progress on the overall roof at Victoria is very slow.
I can just about see 2 metro platforms opening in a month's time, but the rest of the station is still going to be in a mess.
Or am I being too pessimistic?

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
Peering down from the bridge at the end of the main line platforms at Victoria today, it appears the new tram stop is going to have 3 platform lines.
One of these is the current non-stop route on the south side, and the adjacent platform surface and canopy is taking shape.

I rather expected 2 islands, one for each direction with 2 tracks and platform faces each.
But there appears only to be one platform line in the middle, serving both islands.
Is that right?
Yes it is. (As celebrated from time to time by Johnny de Rivative on Skyscrapercity, with a photograph of a stationary London Underground train with its doors open on both sides, usable as a bridge between platforms.)

Last edited:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
It means a tram from the Second City Crossing can turn back in the centre track and passengers to and from further north can all have cross-platform interchange. Other combinations of routes are available.

familyguy99

Here some picture that I took over weekend of work going on at Victoria.

2CC line have now reach closes to 1CC near Victoria station.

Overhead poles are up outside Victoria waiting for wires to be attach onto them.

Roof seen to be coming nicely.

Hopefully it look something like this once is complete.

Nice to see them starting rebuilding line inside Victoria station and near to Cheetham Hill road bridge.

Victoria new platforms are getting on well and one closes to platform 1 will not be opening when Victoria Metrolink station reopening on 18th Feb.

All other pics that I took can be found on this link.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157646152794785

pemma

Veteran Member
Trying to open this thread with images displayed the first time crashed Chrome for me and I'm on a PC with 4GB of RAM. I don't think I'd dare try to open it on my phone!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Trying to open this thread with images displayed the first time crashed Chrome for me and I'm on a PC with 4GB of RAM. I don't think I'd dare try to open it on my phone!

I am still learning the wonders of my Christmas present, jointly bought my sons and shipped over in mid-December. It is a HP Pavilion All-in-One-23-p250na, with 8GB DDR3 memory and 2TB SATA storage.

pemma

Veteran Member
I am still learning the wonders of my Christmas present, jointly bought my sons and shipped over in mid-December. It is a HP Pavilion All-in-One-23-p250na, with 8GB DDR3 memory and 2TB SATA storage.

Show off! I've got one of these: http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/pc-peripherals/all-in-one/home/DP500A2D-K03UK and have plenty of spare hard disc space.

From Metrolink's site

Metrolink said:
Services through Victoria – to Shudehill, Market Street and beyond – are expected to resume from the start of service on Saturday 21 February.

That milestone will result in the restoration of the six-minute service from Bury to the city centre and a direct Victoria to Piccadilly link.

Ian Joslin, area director for Network Rail, said: “The completion of and reopening of the tram stop at Manchester Victoria is a milestone in the redevelopment of the station. To allow us to complete the work, there will be disruption to tram services between 14 and 21 February and we apologise for that.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=138

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I was in Manchester last week and saw all the work going on.

I am not clear though, when the work is all done, will there be a direct tram link again between man Vic & Man Picc on a regular daily basis?

pemma

Veteran Member
I was in Manchester last week and saw all the work going on.

I am not clear though, when the work is all done, will there be a direct tram link again between man Vic & Man Picc on a regular daily basis?

Read the post above your own one ;)

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor

Of course it might have been easy to forget it last year, but this is actually the original raison d'être for Metrolink!

familyguy99

Here link for picture that I took of work going on at Victoria on Saturday.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/metrolink_work/sets/72157646152794785

Metrolink line at Cheetham hill road bridge look complete now, they have now started putting tracks down outside Victoria station (near to Corporation and Balloon Streets) Stations it self still need some work to it but should be ready by next Wednesday and PIDS are now switch on on Victoria platform.

andyb2706

According to local news Victoria tram stop has now re-opened to trams from Bury and Rochdale this morning, only a few days left until it is fully open and the single line working is withdrawn:D.....for a few months then it is back at St.Peters Square :cry:

pemma

Veteran Member
According to local news Victoria tram stop has now re-opened to trams from Bury and Rochdale this morning, only a few days left until it is fully open and the single line working is withdrawn:D.....for a few months then it is back at St.Peters Square :cry:

At present trams are running Bury-Victoria and Rochdale-Victoria only but through trams stopping at Victoria are due to start again on Saturday.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
At present trams are running Bury-Victoria and Rochdale-Victoria only but through trams stopping at Victoria are due to start again on Saturday.

After my hospital visit to Macclesfield on Friday, with much spare time on my hands, I decided to visit Manchester Victoria station to see how the new roof was progressing with its clear roof materials and also to view the reopened Metrolink platforms there. Of course, being somewhat "out of the loop" on current matters, I was unaware that the Market Street stop was out of commission having upgraded facilities installed which meant no trams would be stopping either at Market Street or at Shudehill.

My train from Macclesfield to Manchester Piccadilly was uneventful and I made my way down to Piccadilly Undercroft, where I was advised by a Metrolink personage to board a tram from there to Piccadilly Gardens and then to make my way to bus stop "R" where a tram-replacement service direct to Manchester Victoria would be running. These were double-deck buses and the one that I used was from Stagecoach Wigan depot, with large posters apologising to all users of both their 32 and X34 service. The bus eventually arrived at Manchester Victoria and the terminal point was along the perimeter wall of the old Fish Dock.

There then followed a walk up and down past barriers until the station side entrance was arrived at. The concourse is greatly reduced in width and the entire station area looked just like the building site that it currently is. Both the services from Bury and from Rochdale were terminating there and the Metrolink platform looked like it was still being used to store construction materials, so I was none too impressed at what I saw.

pemma

Veteran Member
The Metrolink works at Victoria haven't been completed on time. Bury-Piccadilly was due to start again today but has been postponed to Monday.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The Metrolink works at Victoria haven't been completed on time. Bury-Piccadilly was due to start again today but has been postponed to Monday.

When I was there on Friday afternoon, there were a great number of workmen just outside the entrance to the station and in Balloon Street, working on the tracks, but it did not look very near to completion then.

thenorthern

Established Member

I don't think the through service was meant to start until Monday or thats what the announcement was.

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't think the through service was meant to start until Monday or thats what the announcement was.

No it was supposed to be today

Metrolink said:
Services through Victoria – to Shudehill, Market Street and beyond – are expected to resume from the start of service on Saturday 21 February, when track work along Balloon Street is complete.

That will result in the restoration of the six-minute service from Bury to the city centre and a direct Victoria to Piccadilly link.

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=145

Metrolink added a new news story to their website this morning containing advice for people going to the MCFC game (which usually would have added 2-3 days before the match) which confirms the direct Victoria-Piccadilly link hasn't been reinstated today.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
When the Ashton-under-Lyne to Bury service was a standard Metrolink route, this was very useful for incoming heavy-rail passengers from Piccadilly to Victoria stations (and vice-versa) who had trains to catch at the other station, e.g. a journey from Macclesfield to Hebden Bridge, where there is no direct heavy-rail forward link to Salford Crescent from Macclesfield and there is also no direct Metroshuttle free bus service between Piccadilly and Victoria stations.

However, the change to an Ashton-under-Lyne to Eccles Metrolink service had taken away that direct option. Will there ever be a Ashton-under-Lyne to Bury Metrolink service in the future. I say this as the Ordsall Chord project is beginning to sound more and more distant in time from what current news tell.

martin2345uk

Established Member
No it was supposed to be today

http://www.metrolink.co.uk/pages/news.aspx?newsID=145

Metrolink added a new news story to their website this morning containing advice for people going to the MCFC game (which usually would have added 2-3 days before the match) which confirms the direct Victoria-Piccadilly link hasn't been reinstated today.

I just got a tram direct from Victoria to Piccadilly, it's all a bit confusing

pemma

Veteran Member
I just got a tram direct from Victoria to Piccadilly, it's all a bit confusing

They say that "Due to the ongoing testing of Victoria station some Bury-Abraham Moss services will operate through to Piccadilly" so you must have turned up for a tram at the right time. I'm not hopeful of there being a Piccadilly-Victoria tram at around 6.35 this evening when I want to use one.

thenorthern

Established Member
However, the change to an Ashton-under-Lyne to Eccles Metrolink service had taken away that direct option. Will there ever be a Ashton-under-Lyne to Bury Metrolink service in the future. I say this as the Ordsall Chord project is beginning to sound more and more distant in time from what current news tell.

There is a service from the Etihad Arena to Bury that starts on Monday and that will run from Piccadilly to Victoria, I know what you mean about being better for connections.

pemma

Veteran Member
They say that "Due to the ongoing testing of Victoria station some Bury-Abraham Moss services will operate through to Piccadilly" so you must have turned up for a tram at the right time. I'm not hopeful of there being a Piccadilly-Victoria tram at around 6.35 this evening when I want to use one.

Well I turned up at Piccadilly at 6:35 yesterday evening and the CIS stated the next Piccadilly Gardens bound departures were:

Eccles via Media City in 13 minutes
Eccles via Media City in 25 minutes
Altrincham in 28 minutes

So obviously a reduced service was operating and it looked like an Altrincham tram had been cancelled. So I decided to walk.

Status
Not open for further replies.