• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Manually operated platform indicator boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

AY1975

Established Member
I just found this one which was apparently destined for Putney. Looks great in NSE colours!

It says it was never actually used because the lever-operated board was retained instead. Can anyone remember seeing NSE-style boards like this one in use anywhere?

Those remained in use until Kings Cross got orange LEDs, so well into the 2000s.
Yes, and at least in BR days passengers were asked to form a queue behind the board for their train before it was ready for boarding, and trains that were not yet ready would be shown on the solari departure indicator on the concourse with a queue letter, which would change to a platform number when the train was ready. A member of staff would then take the board for that train out of its slot on the concourse and the passengers for that train would follow him or her as s/he carried it (in a similar manner to the priest or altar server carrying the Bible in the Gospel procession in church) to the slot by the appropriate platform.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
Spalding and Sleaford certainly had them until fairly late, as did Skegness. Into the 2000s I think.

Aictos

Established Member
Not sure what system it was but Hertford North had and think still does, a wall panel in the platform office with switches for the various stations and as I understand it, the person in charge would flick a few switches for a train and a screen in the platform subway would change to reflect it.

If anyone knows what system it would have been, I would appreciate it.

Welshman

Established Member
I recall that in the 1960s there were manual indicator boards at the entrance to platforms at Manchester Victoria station.

I also remember those boards at Manchester Victoria, especially the one on platform 13, which used to be the departure platform for West Yorkshire. To a young child, they looked like friendly giants, imparting information to passengers! Or perhaps it was just my vivid imagination.

Rochdale also had them, but I can't recall seeing them anywhere else, eg. none at Halifax, Bradford Exchange or Leeds Central on the old North-Eastern Railway [NER]. Were they just used on the LMR in the vicinity of Manchester Victoria?

The hand looks like it's been Photoshopped onto that, though I guess it probably hasn't.

I'm more intrigued about the train - was that portion worked splitting at Bolton, or is it a bit like a dodgy Solari, i.e. a few stuck flaps?
I seem to remember it was the latter, as I recall station staff resorting to a long pole to encourage the superflous flaps to return home!

Lucan

Established Member
I remember that at Mitcham Junction they had, among the usual white-on-green Southern Region boards, a "blackboard" one with destinations chalked on it. It was not wiped clean for each train, it was used for a particular service for which they did not have a proper board - possibly a station initiative while they were waiting for the proper board to be delivered from the signwriters. There was also the odd sign-written white text on black too, among the greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.