• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Marking a forum as read

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesT

Established Member
I often read the forums on a tablet. Sometimes it seems I click on something on the frontpage and a particular forum will end up getting marked as read. This is really annoying as it means I can't easily jump to where I was in a long thread.
I'm not sure what it is I'm unintentionally clicking on, does anyone know so I can make a better job of avoiding it?
Is there some way of turning off this feature? It's not something I think I'd ever want to do.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Unfortunately not a way to turn the feature off, but it’s the semaphore signal arms that you’re accidentally hitting. Try to avoid them and you’ll be fine!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It should take a double tap (or click) though for them to be marked as read using the semaphores.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
It should take a double tap (or click) though for them to be marked as read using the semaphores.
It doesn't on many devices though. I've had the same issue as the OP a few times, when a single unintentional tap marks it as read. It was never an issue worth fussing about but seeing as it's been brought up, it is slightly annoying.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It doesn't on many devices though. I've had the same issue as the OP a few times, when a single unintentional tap marks it as read. It was never an issue worth fussing about but seeing as it's been brought up, it is slightly annoying.
I've asked a part of our Tech team (@Mike395 ) and he's blaming the devices in question ;)

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've asked a part of our Tech team (@Mike395 ) and he's blaming the devices in question ;)
Just to expand a bit, your device is sending a signal as if its a double tap (unfortunately common on some devices - including one I own!) - there isn't a huge amount we can do at this end as it's a default Xenforo (which is the software powering the forum) feature.

dosxuk

Established Member
The double tap/click doesn't have to be on the semaphores, anywhere on the row will do it. Accidental double taps are super easy on touch screen devices, and often without realising you've done it.

prod_pep

Established Member
It has happened to me many times and it is incredibly annoying. I wish the double click to mark as read feature could be disabled.

johnnychips

Established Member
This has happened to me, but the obvious quesstion is, what’s the easiest way to reverse it. Is it coding the whole thing down and reopening or is there an easier way?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
This has happened to me, but the obvious quesstion is, what’s the easiest way to reverse it. Is it coding the whole thing down and reopening or is there an easier way?
Once a forum is marked as read, there is no way of reversing such.

pne

The double tap/click doesn't have to be on the semaphores, anywhere on the row will do it.
Had this happen to me just now -- I triple-clicked the text of a forum description in order to select it (and then copy it), and the forum paused for a brief moment before telling me it had marked that forum read.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The ability to double click on the forum and have that individual forum marked as read was a feature requested by a number of members a few years ago when we updated the software.

westv

Established Member
Presumably an "are you sure" pop up or similar isn't possible?

pne

The ability to double click on the forum and have that individual forum marked as read was a feature requested by a number of members a few years ago when we updated the software.
Fair enough.

I was just a bit surprised the first time because I hadn't known about it. Now I do.

Trackman

Established Member
A long time ago there was the same question, I'm sure there was some sort of solution - try the search feature to see if you can find the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.