• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Maths test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steam Man

On Moderation
What sort of maths skills do train companies want I’m working towards level 2 functional skills maths do I need to be able to long multiplication long division multiply add and subtract fractions I can do a few of these things already.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Oska

I did that last year with my TOC, after 30 years of being out of school, i found it quite tough. Lots of Percentages, Ratio's, graphs, fractions etc. I was well out of my comfort zone. However the external tutor was brilliant and i had one on one tuition which helped massively.

DelW

Established Member
What sort of maths skills do train companies want I’m working towards level 2 functional skills maths do I need to be able to long multiplication long division multiply add and subtract fractions I can do a few of these things already.
Interesting list there, I worked for over 45 years in engineering (not on the railway), working with numbers all day and every day, and I don't think I've done either long multiplication or long division since I left school.
My generation is about the last to have been working before calculators became affordable in the 1970s, and even before then, multiplication and division were normally done using log tables or slide rules, depending on how accurate the answer had to be.

Inthe4foot

Is there a maths test to become a Trains Driver?

It depends on your qualification, with this train driver apprenticeship you have to have level 2 or equivalent in maths, english and ICT. Some Guys on my driver course that starts at the end Of October are doing the ICT functional skills qualification the week prior.

but it’s not a test to become a driver just for the individual to gain the appropriate qualifications if they don’t have them :)

Stigy

Established Member
No there isn't.
It depends on the TOC/FOC. Some may do numerical reasoning tests as part of the initial application process, which is a maths test in itself, I know NWR do this (I don’t think I’ve ever successfully passed one either :D).

Also, if it’s an apprenticeship you’ll need to have GCSEs in Maths and English, or have to take a functional skills course/test or similar, like the one @Steam Man mentioned.

Yourn

Oh I must of misread I already have my Functional Skills, A level 4 degree in Software Engineering, Currently studying Level 5. I got into University with just my Functional skills so I'm hoping no GCSE's for me..

I'm no good at maths so I'm hoping I can avoid any maths tests I haven't touched the subject in 4 years and I wouldn't like to pursue any further math questions :'(

Also is all Trainee Train Driving Jobs apprenticeships? If so does that mean if you have a University degree that you can't pursue that role?

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I know Network Rail and some TOCs do the numerical and verbal reasoning. The numerical one is on a timer and most the questions are working off pie charts, graphs and tables with questions on ratios and percentages. I find them really hard going as maths is sadly not my strongest subject.

CJ

Status
Not open for further replies.