• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matters concerning the Isle of Wight

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
I went on the UK Railtours 159 SWT unit charter to the Isle of Wight yesterday, it was a great day out.

It did make me ponder about a few transport issuse on and to the Island though.

When steam was withdrawn and the sad closure of much of the railways there in the late 1960s, just leaving the service from Ryde to Shanklin, where did the original tube electric come from and from what era, was it from the 1920s or 1930s? and the stock that is now in use, which I think was bought over around 15-20 years, when was that originally built.? They only seem to have about 4 two carriage units in service. I think the red livery looks better than the NWSE livery which they used to have, although I am not sure if it is quite the same shade red as original LT UndergrounD trains were.?

We also went on the IOW Steam railway which I thought was brilliant, they were running two train sets, one with bogies and one with 4 wheel stock. The locos and rolling stock were is very good condition indeed, really clean and very well maintained and reminded me of some of stock used on the Bluebell line.

The transfer across from Portsmouth was on one of the older ferries rather than the fast cat. Outbound the sailing was one hour as they also did a trip around Portsmouth Harbour which was very interesting. However I was surprised that the return sailing from Ryde to Pompey took 35 minutes, I thought the old ferry only took about 25 minutes or so.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

starrymarkb

Established Member
The original tube stock was Standard stock from the 1920s it was replaced in the early 1990s with 1938 stock from erm, 1938. A few vehicles have been scrapped for spares

The Ferry times will vary by tides and winds. Not much they can really do about it if the wind and tide are against them

Last edited:

cav1975

I went on the UK Railtours 159 SWT unit charter to the Isle of Wight yesterday, it was a great day

The transfer across from Portsmouth was on one of the older ferries rather than the fast cat. Outbound the sailing was one hour as they also did a trip around Portsmouth Harbour which was very interesting. However I was surprised that the return sailing from Ryde to Pompey took 35 minutes, I thought the old ferry only took about 25 minutes or so.

The ferry that you used was specially chartered for you. The regular ferries take about 18 mins these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.