• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt's All line rover trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4tt

Hi everyone, delay repay is starting to arrive from selected companies. TPE paid out on a Carlisle to Manchester service for £11, although I believe it should have been a little more if calculated by the offical rover website.

However, I cannot complain at EMR paid out £154.25 for a London to Sheffield trip, 1/4 of the ticket price for a 15 minute delay so it seems to be hit or miss how each operator dish out payments.

I don't suppose anyone knows what compensation is likely to be with Avanti and EMR as they were the 2 who had services which were declassifled?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelayRepay

Established Member
Hi everyone, delay repay is starting to arrive from selected companies. TPE paid out on a Carlisle to Manchester service for £11, although I believe it should have been a little more if calculated by the offical rover website.

However, I cannot complain at EMR paid out £154.25 for a London to Sheffield trip, 1/4 of the ticket price for a 15 minute delay so it seems to be hit or miss how each operator dish out payments.

I don't suppose anyone knows what compensation is likely to be with Avanti and EMR as they were the 2 who had services which were declassifled

DelayRepay

Established Member
That's a nice and tidy refund from EMR! You'll soon be able to afford another rover :lol:

I wonder, with the current level of delays and cancellations across the network, whether one could actually make a profit from doing an ALR if one travelled mostly on the TOCs/Lines which are regularly disrupted?

Even if you couldn't recover the full ticket cost via delay repay, when you factor in savings from not having to heat your house during the day and not having to buy as much food due to the freebies, you could be onto a winner!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It would be a very strange thing to do, but there is the potential to do that I guess! Ethically, not worth it of course! For me, it would be no good as I'm a fussy eater so I wouldn't save money on food, but I'd imagine the average person would do modestly well with food and drink on such an adventure.

Hopefully such a thing will only be doable in theory, and no-one actually goes out to try and have effectively a week of free travel and food!

m4tt

I wonder, with the current level of delays and cancellations across the network, whether one could actually make a profit from doing an ALR if one travelled mostly on the TOCs/Lines which are regularly disrupted?
I have abut 15 claims pending and maybe 5 declassifications with Avanti so who knows? It would be nice to get most of the money back as stuff was quite affected by strikes.

I believe I can get a 1/14 for each day of strikes, is this correct as that would add to the total income quite nicely

m4tt

Yep, quite a few have come in recently although the amount recieved has been quite inconsistent. Some have been much less than expected, if calculated by the rover website, which will be appealed. Some on the other hand have been much higher as well with £44 for a 4 hour delay from Carlisle to Glasgow and £44 for a Manchester to Milton Keynes. So far it is about £300ish but with still quite a few more to come + appeals.

In terms of 1st class compensation I recieved 2 codes for discounts due to lack of catering. The email stated that these were a gesture of goodwill rather than required compensation. The discount in question was for 4 journeys at 25% off only on advance bookings. This includes first and standard class. Having recieved 2 codes that will be a nice 8 discounted journeys.

I am still waiting for an email from XC after they confirmed I had no seat in 1st but who knows when they will reply. EMR got back to me and said I would get money back but they couldn't scan the image of the ticket I sent? I resent it with a copy of the recipt so homefully that will equate to something.

I still have a few compensation emails from Avanti to wait for. They were for declassification so hopefully they will provide money or a free journey.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Yep, quite a few have come in recently although the amount recieved has been quite inconsistent. Some have been much less than expected, if calculated by the rover website, which will be appealed.
Which rover website is it that you use for the calculations?

HarryF

I really enjoyed reading this, thank you so much for posting Matt.
Just one question, what camera do you have? Those photos are amazing!

m4tt

Which rover website is it that you use for the calculations?

National rail's compensation website which is linked to the rover information. I guess just due to how infrequently this will be requested most staff will not know about this

m4tt

Just one question, what camera do you have? Those photos are amazing!
Nikon D5600 with a 18-200 mm lens. I also use Adobe Lightroom + Photoshop to edit my photos.

Out of curiosity, what was your favourite and why did you like it?

m4tt

Another Quick update, up to £360 back from Delay repay + 8 lots of 25% off with Avanti for advance tickets. Still some more to appeal and some more stuff to come in. Quite a way over the half way mark in terms of money back in, on top of all the food and drink I had. it turned out very well!

Atlantic loco

I've nejoyed reading your reports over the last couple of weeks.

I was at Glasgow Central a few weeks ago and noticed that the signs said to stand on the left of the escalator. I don't know if it's changed recently but I certainly don't remember it being stand on the left a few years back (perhaps some locals can advise?)

It's as though Scotland just do it to be different to England.
The stand on the left thing on the escalator at Glasgow Central has appeared relatively recently. I cannot fathom out why it has been changed from I would perceive to be the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.