• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Matt's All line rover trip report

Status
Not open for further replies.

m4tt

Here is day 2 of my trip report - let me know if you have any questions

Saturday 6th August -

I set out on the 08:10 LNWR service into London Euston composed of 2x 350s (350 407 + 350 401) once again having first class to myself for the entirety of the journey. My original plan was to change at Watford Junction for the 08:37 Avanti West Coast service to Birmingham New St but Avanti had different ideas. They need to stop promising to run services they cannot provide with sometimes 5 hour gaps in services to certain destinations. Instead I stuck on to London Euston where a frantic pace was required to make the 09:02 EMR service to Sheffield, my original destination. The train was very busy in standard class due to football fans, making me feel thankful I was travelling in 1st. This was not helped by the service only having 5 coaches. Breakfast on board was a sausage bap or a selection of pastries from the trolley. The sausage bap was very good and served with your choice of sauce.

EMR still haven’t brought back their 1st class lounges since the pandemic, not even at St Pancras which is a letdown. I had fond memories of waiting for my train at Sheffield talking to the member of staff working there who also happened to be a rail enthusiast.
Before long we arrived in Sheffield, where I awaited my onward connection to Leeds. I had hoped to see XC’s 43 184 in its new intercity livery however the service being over 30 minutes late meant it pulled in the same time we left. The 11:21 XC service was formed of 4 coaches which I find to be a disgrace considering it’s operating a 12 hour intercity journey connecting many major cities in England and Scotland. Despite having a first class ticket and a reservation I barely managed to board, let alone get a seat in first class. A 40 minute stand was not the most pleasant way to get to Leeds.

My main objective today was to see the TPE 68 diversions via Hebden Bridge, however a short notice cancellation led to the eastbound service being cancelled. In the end I decided to attempt this next week and hope I don’t face the same fate.

I boarded the 12:15 TPE service to Liverpool Lime Street operated by 802 209 with the plan originally to alight at Manchester Victoria for a local service to Hebden Bridge. The 68 cancellation through a spanner in the works and in the end stayed on to Lea Green for the return service 10 minutes later operated by 802 217. This took me to York via the Calder Valley line, providing some stunning views out of the window. I would highly recommend this journey. However, my high spirits were dampened by the guard writing the date in big letters on the ticket for no apparent reason to me. So now I have to walk around with it for the next 2 weeks. I think she thought it was for one journey within the 14 days maybe? That would explain the reason to write the date to stop me using it another day.

Upon arrival at York I visited the 1st class lounge again. It was practically empty but was greeted upon arrival and told to help myself to refreshments. I only stayed for a short while as I awaited the 16:20 TPE service back to Leeds formed by a pairing of 185s (185118 + 185113). I managed to photograph 68 024 heading the 17:00 service to Manchester Victoria so I did not completely fail my objective today.

My next train was the 17:08 Cross Country service for York, again, formed of 220 014 + 220 029. I always assume that God is blessing me when I'm sent a XC service with more than 4 coaches. At York I alighted and got on the 17:58 LNER service for London Kings Cross (801 227). Sadly this service held true to complaints I have heard all too frequently about the 80x series. All the headrests have slumped and no longer stay risen so only suitable if you are less than 5 foot. The one opposite me has fallen off completely!. The train is incredibly jolty to the point my hot chocolate has gone all over the table as I write this. It was flat on the table as well. The seats aren’t bad but I found that TPE’s 802’s trump the Azumas in every category, except maybe catering. Transpennie do have a kitchen they don’t want to utilise so maybe in the coming decades we might see actual food (If they can find any staff to cook it!). Overall, I am disappointed at the offering and I would have to say the 225s are better. They may be old but I didn’t have to worry about my drink spilling on my lap.

In conclusion, today did not really go to plan but it was still enjoyable and I hope you look forward to what I do in the coming days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I believe even before Covid struck, EMR 1st class lounges were closed at weekends

That TPE Guard clearly wasn't thinking, probably was thinking it was a "4 in 8" style rover which has date boxes.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sounds like a very varied two days so far, some good experiences but sadly too many bad ones. Hopefully Day 3 will be much better!

m4tt

As promised, here are some of my favourite photos I have taken so far: (Images have been scaled down to a managable size)

Let me know what you think of them and any critics/improvements would be gratly appreciated

Friday 5th - 82 213 arrives 25 minutes late on 1A09, ready to take me on the 10:03 to Leeds

DSC_0035.jpg

Saturday 6th - 800 108 awaits to work the 18:02 York - King's Cros

DSC_0434.jpg

Friday 5th - 802 204 arrives at Leeds on the 12:42 to Newcastle

DSC_0066.jpg

Friday 5th - 70 814 works an oil train through Chester-le-Street from Jarrow to Lindsey

DSC_0262.jpg

m4tt

All really good photos, but I have to say I really liked the one of the Colas 70 the most :wub:
Glad you like the 70, just saw 70 811 on the log train at both Warrington and Lancaster. I’ll have to put the pics up tonight

furgus2

Glad you like the 70, just saw 70 811 on the log train at both Warrington and Lancaster. I’ll have to put the pics up tonight

good photos of varied modern scenes there. One thing that might have been good to do would be to crop the one of the 70 to cut out the man just on the left. I hope today is going well and that trains aren’t too packed.

m4tt

good photos of varied modern scenes there. One thing that might have been good to do would be to crop the one of the 70 to cut out the man just on the left. I hope today is going well and that trains aren’t too packed.
Thanks for the tip. Normally I would have cropped him out but I had a nice chat with him so wanted to keep him in for the memory

m4tt

I hope today is going well and that trains aren’t too packed.
Trains are very busy. I got the last seet in first class on the way north today but when at Lancaster earlier they cancelled a Euston bound service due to overcrowding

Western Sunset

Established Member
Keep the chap in the photo of the 70; it turns a normal boring "train approaching" shot into something more interesting. My fave photo thus far is the Mk4 set arriving at KX.

Enjoying reading about your travelling experiences.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Keep the chap in the photo of the 70; it turns a normal boring "train approaching" shot into something more interesting. My fave photo thus far is the Mk4 set arriving at KX.

Enjoying reading about your travelling experiences.

Agreed on not cropping out the person in the photo, and the Kings Cross photo, which was my other favourite. All 4 were good, of course.

m4tt

Saturday 7th August -

Today started from Berkhamsted on the 10:01, formed by a pair of 350s as per the norm (350 405 + 350 125). Full and standing including in first class.

I changed at Milton Keynes for the 10:33 service for Glasgow Central operated by 390 138, taking me as far as Warrington Bank Quay. First class was very busy as for some reason it is confined to only coach K on a weekend? It is way to busy for that in my opinion. We made 4 additional stops which resulted in a 15 minute delay, perfect for a £20 delay repay refund (Hopefully). Breakfast was very underwhelming. The full English was sold out so I chose the bacon roll instead. Barely any bacon and the roll was rock hard. Much worse than EMR’s which was lovely and actually tasted fresh.

My aim was to see 70 811 on the VST Chirk to Carlisle empty log train which I narrowly avoided being bowled at Warrington.

I next boarded the 13:15 service for Lancaster (390 011) and was immediately greeted upon taking a seat. Food and drink was ordered before we even left! I went for the Croque Monsieur (again) but this time it was much, much better. The presentation alone made it live up to a first class product compared to some of the food I have ordered on other services. It also came with pretzels and an uglies chocolate. This was probably my favourite service I have travelled on so far along with EMR to Sheffield.

IMG_8797.jpg

Having overtaken the log train just north of Preston, this gave another opportunity to see it, this time speeding through the fast lines. I got chatting to the station manager who turns out to have seen my photos before! It was nice to have a chat and made me feel very welcome.

The 14:59 was my first refurbished pendolino (390 148) and I took it a few stops up the line to Carlisle. Once again the service was very good, the seats are more comfy although I cannot speak for standard or standard premium as I have not tried those yet. I do feel that having just 1 coach of First which is even a full coach seems a bit counterintuitive as it puts people off buying a first class ticket. Is standard premium popular enough to warrant 3 coaches?

At Carlisle I saw 46115 ‘Scots Guardsman’, 56 094 and 70 811. Nice to see lots of people out and about taking a look at this magnificent steam engine.

Before long I took the 16:46 Avanti service to Wigan North Western (390 138). Much quieter compared to the services I have been on going northbound. Another round of food was appreciated although I need to try something other than the ham and cheese toastie.

A quick turn around at Wigan North Western put me on the 18:27 back to Preston formed of a pairing of 221 super voyagers (221 104 + 221 117). First class was full so I had to stand, not too bad as it was only a 10 minute journey.

My plan at Preston was to catch a pair of voyagers alongside a pendolino, knowing the 221s don’t have too long left I couldn’t pass up at the opportunity. My train, the 19:17, made the picture, formed of 221112 + 221108 alongside 390 013. Travelling to Crewe, I found the Avanti voyagers to be much better than their XC equivalent, with a brighter cabin and more legroom. In fact, the tables are a bit too far away meaning you cannot have your back to the seat when using it.

My penultimate service was the 20:24 Avanti service to Milton Keynes Central (390 115). A drinks service was offered shortly after departure as well as 2 uglies chocolates. A staff change and a train fault at Stafford later we arrived at MK where I changed for a LNWR home.

I covered 571 miles today

Today was a very good day with many things I wanted to do/see ticked off. Tomorrow i will be off the Cornwall and Penzance

Last edited:

m4tt

My favourite photo from today - 6C37 0955 Chirk Kronospan Colas Rail to Carlisle Yard Colas Rail

DSC_0577.jpg

m4tt

Monday 8th August -

Today’s travels took me down to Cornwall, somewhere I have not really explored whilst out travelling. The 07:47 LNWR took me into London Euston today, formed of 12 coaches (350 111 + 350 101 + 350 245) which was a nice surprise. Arrival into Euston was 7 minutes late, meaning I would miss my connection at London Paddington so I settled for the slightly slower service 30 minutes later giving me more time to get across London. A quick visit to the Avanti lounge was warranted for some breakfast. The selection is much much better than any other lounge I have been to, there were cinnamon rolls, croissants and some other pastry all in plenty. Drinks and light snacks were also available. Compared to LNER’s lounge at Kings Cross it really puts it to shame.

I then took the northern line to Tottenham Court Road, surprisingly quiet for 9AM on a weekday, where I changed for the Elizebeth line to London Paddington. Another visit to a lounge was had at Paddington. No food or snacks from what I observed but there were drinks in the fridge. I boarded the 09:37 service for Paignton, a 5 car 802 016 vice 9 car it was booked for. If you have read along so far you will know how much I liked the TPE 802’s and I found the GWR equivalents to match in quality. I do slightly prefer the interior on the TPE units however. The train took me as far as Teignmouth. A fairly limited catering service was offered including drinks and biscuits.

I went back on myself to Dawlish, where after a little searching for a way onto the sea wall, I made my way up to Langstone Rock. I did not expect it to be so physically challenging to climb, only to find the cause was due to not going up the intended path hence it was basically a rock climb to the top. The views were amazing providing clear views of the coast and track below. The journey back down was even worse after I again went down the wrong way, this time through a hole in the floor. Safe to say I will not be making a revisit before studying the path to climb. A hasty walk along the rest of the coastline to Dawlish Warren was not enough to make my connection for the 13:48. I caught the 14:28 (150249 + 150248) to Starcross where I changed for the 14:43 (150216 + 1502430) to Newton Abbot. A few minute connection for the XC service to the terminus of Plymouth, a pair of voyagers (220014 + 220015). It was strange to have first class to myself on a cross country service. A 10 minute connection for the 15:55, my first castle set operated by 43198 + 43040. This took me as far as the beautiful town of Lostwithiel where I popped to the shops for a refreshment break. Lostwithiel has some amazing signals which are well worth a look at alone. It was nice to have a talk to the signalman who left the box for a smoke break. He told me about a track issue further up the line at Bodmin Parkway, a kink in the rail causing delays. My service to Par was 35 minutes late operated by another castle set, 43010 + 43029. Trains were parked up at stations south of Bodmin awaiting the track to be fixed. We passed multiple on my next train, the 18:15 to Penzance formed by 9 car 800 319. Upon arriving at Penzance I attempted to enter the first class lounge only to find out it ceases to be one after 18:00! Thankfully the host allowed me in which was nice.

The day went from good to great when I was upgraded from a seat to solo berth on the night riviera sleeper. He initally offered to take the price down from £90 to £60 but he changed his mind and gave me the room for free! This means that i’ll be able to offer a review of the bunks as well as food and shower facilites at London Paddington.

At the time of writing we have just left Penzance on our way to Paddington. Scheduled arrival of 05:03

I hope you enjoyed reading my trip report today and I will let you know in the morning how the night went.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Matt

Last edited:

furgus2

Sounds like a great day and hope you enjoy the sleeper. I travelled on the refurbished mk3 sleeper nearly a year ago and thought it was pretty much perfect

m4tt

Sounds like a great day and hope you enjoy the sleeper. I travelled on the refurbished mk3 sleeper nearly a year ago and thought it was pretty much perfect
I hope so as I will need to maximise sleep as its an early arrival tomorrow! Glad you are enjoying the reports

Andy Pacer

Established Member
A very interesting read, not done a 1st class ALR since Pre Covid, bern rather put off by unreliability and industrial action of late.

m4tt

bern rather put off by unreliability and industrial action of late.
The unreliability has been slightly beneficial in someways as I have submitted almost £100 worth of delay repay claims. The way it is calculated works out to a maximum of around £22 each claim but the payment is based off a 1st anytime return. For a child even Milton Keynes to Crewe is £157 giivng a return of around £20 for a 15 min delay

xotGD

Established Member
Really enjoying reading your reports, and you sound like you are having fun. I hope that the rest of the week is just as good!

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The unreliability has been slightly beneficial in someways as I have submitted almost £100 worth of delay repay claims. The way it is calculated works out to a maximum of around £22 each claim but the payment is based off a 1st anytime return. For a child even Milton Keynes to Crewe is £157 giivng a return of around £20 for a 15 min delay
Agreed, although I was more referring to industrial action which can't be foreseen when making plans/bookings weeks/months ahead.

And it's good to get some delay repay, but i'd rather just pay the going rate and fulfil my plans and make full use of the ticket's time and validity.

m4tt

Tuesday 9th August -

Before bed I paid a visit to the lounge car just a few feet from my room. Complimentary drinks and snacks were offered. The lounge had a nice ambiance with a mix of chairs and sofas however I found the lighting to be a bit too bright. I headed back to the room after we departed Bodmin Parkway to get ready for bed. The room had two beds, top and bottom with lighting controls beside both. The table lifted upwards to form a sink as well as a wardrobe for hanging up clothes. I chose the bottom bunk as the only thing preventing you from rolling off the top was a thin piece of fabric attached to the ceiling. The train had a scheduled arrival into Paddington at 05:00 however you could remain in the rooms until 06:45, providing a bit more of a sleeping opportunity for leisure travellers.

The Night Riviera pulled in just after 5am this morning just after the sun began to rise. A knock at the door brought me my pre-ordered breakfast, a jam filled croissant and a juice. I disembarked at around 5:20 with the hope of catching the Circle/Hammersmith & City line to Kings Cross however the gates were locked shut with a member of staff saying to get the bus. TFL’s website showed trains starting at 5 and leaving every 3 minutes so I don’t understand why there were no trains. This was the same for the bakerloo line as well. In the end I gave up on getting the 05:55 as there would be no way to make it that quickly on the bus so I settled for Euston. My plan was to catch the 06:43 to Edinbrugh however my ticket does not allow travel on Avanti services out of Euston or Milton Keynes before 10:00. Thankfully due to Avanti’s lack of ability to run services they added an extra stop at Rugby due to them cancelling the service before and after, allowing me to catch the 06:28 LNWR to Crewe and join there. Breakfast was served after Sandwell & Dudley which I felt was quite a long wait considering Rugby to Birmingham is a substantial journey that would warrant a meal. I went for the full English which came with toast on the side as well, an improvement on the LNER offering and was very welcome.

I disembarked at Warrington Bank Quay 10 minutes behind schedule and awaited the 10:14 operated by 390 154 which took me to Lancaster. Food offerings seem to be very hit or miss, on this exact journey I was offered food and drink upon boarding yet today I wasn’t even served for the 50 minute journey despite a member of staff seeing me board and walk up and down the aisle next to me. After a few trips on the refurbs I can confidently say they are better in terms of comfort and ambiance. At Lancaster I saw TPE’s 68 025 ‘Superb’ head north to Glasgow for what I presume is some sort of training run as well as a pair of DB 90’s on an intermodal. 390 112 took my next service to Carlisle where again no food was offered which I felt was disappointing. Of the 4 journeys I took today on Avanti all being over 45 minutes only on two was I offered anything.

30 minutes at Carlisle allowed me to see my second 68 of the day, 68 007 haul a crane through to Crewe Bas Hall as well as 70 811 working a loaded log train to Chirk via the Settle & Carlisle line. I took my first 397 journey next courtesy of 397 004 down to Preston where it terminated early. I found the journey to be more bumpy than the pendolino I took southbound on the same route a few days ago but it was only a minor thing that I picked up on because I was looking for it. The seats were alright as well but I think that TPE’s 802 seats trump them. An uncommon shot was possible at Preston due to TPE’s troubles with 3 class 397s stabled side by side in platforms 5, 6 and 7. My original plan was to continue to Manchester but due to the termination at Preston I chose just to head home on Avanti’s 390 044 all the way down to Euston. The hosts were cheerful which made for a pleasant journey down to London. I had 30 minutes before my connection home which gave some time to visit the lounge which once again did not disappoint. I went for a scone with jam and clotted cream as well as a raspberry lemonade. Considering it was rush hour I was surprised at how quiet the lounge was with only 8 others.

I hope you enjoyed my report for today, not as substantial as I was running on little sleep and a change of plan but I will be back out tomorrow.

I will try to post some photos from today too and any feedback would be welcomed

m4tt

(Left - Right) 397 012, 397 001, 397 006 stand at Preston having had their journeys cut short due to train crew shortages

DSC_0834.jpg

furgus2

I’m feeling tired just reading what you’ve done today! That was an early start. In the past. I‘ve stayed on the Night Riviera until about 6.25 then caught the Bristol train to Reading, changed to the XC Manchester train as far as
Coventry then on what was the first Virgin service timed to arrive in Euston after 10 on which I’d have my breakfast.

You should definitely have been offered food between Lancaster and Carlisle but between Warrington and Preston, crews often just clean up as many leave the train there. They then usually begin the next food service after Lancaster. Similarly when travelling on the tedious route from Rugby via Birmingham, in my experience, an offer of a hot drink or water is typically the most you can expect between those two points.

I hope you’re able to get a good rest in your own bed tonight and have another good day tomorrow.

m4tt

I’m feeling tired just reading what you’ve done today! That was an early start. In the past. I‘ve stayed on the Night Riviera until about 6.25 then caught the Bristol train to Reading, changed to the XC Manchester train as far as
Coventry then on what was the first Virgin service timed to arrive in Euston after 10 on which I’d have my breakfast.

You should definitely have been offered food between Lancaster and Carlisle but between Warrington and Preston, crews often just clean up as many leave the train there. They then usually begin the next food service after Lancaster. Similarly when travelling on the tedious route from Rugby via Birmingham, in my experience, an offer of a hot drink or water is typically the most you can expect between those two points.

I hope you’re able to get a good rest in your own bed tonight and have another good day tomorrow.
Yep it definitely was strange being around London that early but it was great to try out the sleeper. Tomorrow will hopefully be even better

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you've had a great time so far! For some reason the notification for new posts on this thread hadn't come up, so I'm a bit behind as a result. Great photos there too, especially so of the 70 at Lancaster :D

Quite the mix of experience in First Class I see, and which lounge did you use at Paddington? The less modern one is really nice, I don't know if it's still open though. It might just be the modern lounge now, which is poor in comparison.

If you end up in Cardiff there is a small but nice First Class lounge on the p1/2 island. I think the one at Bristol Temple Meads closed quite some time ago, but it was a nice one.

Glad to see you like the GWR IETs too, I'm biased with them being my favourite due to their being my local lot, but I agree the TP interior is nice.

m4tt

Wow you've had a great time so far! For some reason the notification for new posts on this thread hadn't come up, so I'm a bit behind as a result. Great photos there too, especially so of the 70 at Lancaster :D

Quite the mix of experience in First Class I see, and which lounge did you use at Paddington? The less modern one is really nice, I don't know if it's still open though. It might just be the modern lounge now, which is poor in comparison.

If you end up in Cardiff there is a small but nice First Class lounge on the p1/2 island. I think the one at Bristol Temple Meads closed quite some time ago, but it was a nice one.

Glad to see you like the GWR IETs too, I'm biased with them being my favourite due to their being my local lot, but I agree the TP interior is nice.
Happy to hear you are enjoying the reports, I plan to try out the premier service on TFW soon so expect a review of that as well as the lounge at Cardiff should I visit.

m4tt

Wednesday 10th August -

Today started on the 07:11 to London Euston, formed of a pair of 350s (350 125 + 350 250). FIrst class became full by Watford but after a visit from the ticket inspector only me and 3 others remained. He threatened that tomorrow anyone he caught would be issued with a penalty fare. It doesn’t help that the guards never seem to leave their cabs which just encourages people to do it. I grabbed breakfast at the first class lounge at Euston then walked over to London Kings Cross where I boarded the 08:27 Grand Central service for Sunderland in the form of 5 car 180 016, planning to go as far as York. I wasn’t overly impressed with the interior. It appears quite tacky and outdated and you had to order food through the QR code which would not work. Thankfully there was a URL to enter instead. Catering was limited to hot drinks, a croissant and some shortbread. On departure I noticed we did not seem to pick up speed, instead we appeard to be stuck at around 70mph all the way to peterborough before we stopped just outside Grantham already 35 mins late. The guard said we would be terminating at Doncaster although he did not specify what the issue was (I believe something to do with traction). Thankfully my ticket allows me to take any train but for those with advances they were told they could only travel on the next Grand Central service 2 ½ hours later. We arrived 45 minutes late into Doncaster where everyone disembarked.

91 106 took me the rest of the way to York on 1N81 where I joined the 11:35 to Edinburgh. A drink service was provided but no food despite it being a 1h 20 journey to Morpeth where I alighted. I understand a crew change happens at Newcastle but a packet of crisps would have been welcomed. Not much time was spent at Morpeth but it seemed like a very nice station. It was staffed and had a lovely canopy which made a good picture. The XC 13:19 formed of double voyagers 220 022 + 220 023 to Durham. A quick change put me on 802 216 back north to Newcastle.

After an hour or so of spotting at Newcastle including a visit to the unstaffed lounge I made my way to York aboard 801 216 at 15:32. This was my first catering experience with catering from LNER and we had a choice of meals from the Dish menu. I went for the asparagus tortellini which arrived just before we arrived in Darlington. I found it to be a good meal but not something I would praise too highly. LNER’s Dine menu is much better featuring a salmon dish which I had before the pandemic on one the chef’s signature menu services which I found to be excellent. I will have to try it to see if it is still up to standards. Such a shame they limit them to such a small selection of services. I have to admit my disappointment in LNER’s 80x’s. I don’t know why but they provide a very bumpy ride compared to the TPE or GWR equivalents i have been on in the past few days. It got to the point that my food and drink almost slid off the table multiple times and had to be held still for the remainder of the journey, something I have not encountered on any train recently. Any ideas on why this is happening because the TPE 802’s on the same route ride fine?

Alighting at York, I crossed the bridge for a 7 minute change onto my second pair of XC voyagers today (220 014 + 220 029) on the 16:43 service to Bristol TM. I made sure to sit in the first half of the train as that is the only first class coach with catering. A drink and snack was provided. My next train was the 18:11 TPE service to Manchester Piccadilly formed of 185 112 + 185 146. The hope valley line has stunning scenery and I would highly recommend visiting Edale about half way along the route.

A 10 minute turn around put me on the 19:15 to London Euston formed by 9 car 390 008. I was greeted by the same host from my last trip from Manchester who was very friendly and recognised me instantly which made me feel very welcome. I went for the croque monsieur again with a side of pretzels, followed by a generous helping of uglies. We arrived at Milton Keynes 7 minutes late meaning I watched my train home leave as we arrived. I stayed on to Euston where I took the 21:54 home.

I hope you enjoyed reading my trip report today and any feedback would be welcomed

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Another nicely varied day there :) With the LNER IET, were you sat over the bogie? I don't normally get rough riding on IETs whenever I'm on one, regardless of operator, so that's the only likely cause I can think of.

Got to feel for those poor GC passengers! When they first launched, GC were much better and I had a number of good rides with them on the HSTs. It would appear they've not kept up good service :(

m4tt

Another nicely varied day there :) With the LNER IET, were you sat over the bogie? I don't normally get rough riding on IETs whenever I'm on one, regardless of operator, so that's the only likely cause I can think of.
I don’t think so, today I sat in coach M both times in the middle of the coach. Last time I travelled with them I was likely over the bogie in a different coach which explains why my hot chocolate went all over the table whilst it was sat on the table. Just seems strange that it so extreme compared to other operators and I’ve sat in a variety of locations in the TPE 802’s

Got to feel for those poor GC passengers! When they first launched, GC were much better and I had a number of good rides with them on the HSTs. It would appear they've not kept up good service :(
I was lucky my ticket gave me onward travel, the bloke next to me had mobility issues and had a doctors appointment at 13:00 in Sunderland. Being offered the next train at 13:00 from Doncaster is unacceptable especially as there will be next to no seats

I think I’m a bad omen as the last time I travelled was the day before 3 years ago on the same ticket as now when the power went out nation wide stranding all the Thameslinks. They all had to be visited by and engineer to reset them. My GC got terminated at St Neots with no onward trains. I was lucky that I was 12 at the time which meant I got to skip the queues for the taxi rank

Status
Not open for further replies.