• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 17 timetable changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I had a look at the poster at Newport station today (04th May) and photo'd it. The changes for the Fishguard Harbour services are as shown in the attached file. I hope it is readable. I am surprised that there will no longer be a Newport to Fishguard Harbour train: whenever I see this draw in to Newport or Cardiff Central it seems as if there are always quite a few people wish luggage who are presumably going to FGH and it seems daft to make the journey less easy for anyone coming off London trains.

Meanwhile it seems as if there will be a few changes on the Valley routes as well:

Monday to Friday
0722 ABA-BYI will no longer call at LLN.
0742 BGN-ABA retimed to depart BRY at 0821 and call at BYD & CAD before running fast to CDF.
0752 CDF-BRY: additional service which will operate non-stop throughout.
0757 CDF-RDR: additional service which will operate non-stop throughout.
0813 RDR-CDF: additional service calling all stations via. CDQ.
0813 BRY-CDF: additional service calling all stations except GTN.
1208 MER-BYI: service will terminate at CDF.
1308 MER-BYI: service will terminate at CDF. Departs again as 1411 CDF-ABA.
1327 RHY-PEN: service will terminate at CDF. *
1417 PEN-BGD: until September this service will now leave CDF at 1433 at run fast CDQ-CPH. **
1447 PEN-BGD: this service will now start from CDF at 1501.
1432 PEN-YSM: between September and December this train will not call at GTN.
1410 CDF-BYI: Additional service calling all stations.

* This train is shown as terminating in Platform 7 which is where it currently calls. However there is no subsequent ECS back to Canton Depot and instead the 1417 PEN-BGD is shown as calling at Platform 7 (not Platform 6 as would be the norm) so I guess the two trains join up.

** According to RealTimeTrains, this service will call at Platform 7 at CDF, not at the normal Platform 6. Presumably joins to the terminating train from BGD.

Monday to Saturday
0631 CDF-TAF: additional service, calling CDQ, CYS, RDR & TAF.
1853 YSM-CDF: additional service which will operate non-stop throughout.

These new Monday to Saturday trains replace existing empty stock workings.

Sunday
Some changes for May to September:
1145 BYI-CDF: additional service calling all stations.
1610 CDF-BYI: additional service calling all stations.

Station Codes:
ABA: Abadare | BGD: Bargoed | BRY: Barry | BGN: Bridgend | BRY: Barry | BYD: Barry Docks | BYI: Barry Island | CAD: Cadoxton | CDF: Cardiff Central | CDQ: Cardiff Queen Street | CPH: Caerphilly | CYS: Cathays | GTN: Grangetown | LLN: Llandaff | RDR: Radyr | TAF: Taffs Well

HTIOI,
Dave

Attachments

• fgh.png
    fgh.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 78
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

berneyarms

Established Member
Regarding the 10:40 Newport-Fishguard and London connections:

Given that the ferry now departs significantly earlier, there have had to be changes in order to connect into it, and given that rolling stock would be in the wrong place that has knock on effects.

The 10:40 Newport-Fishguard Harbour has been replaced by an 11:00 Swansea-Fishguard Harbour.

It takes a direct connection out of the 07:45 London Paddington-Swansea at Swansea (09:30 from Newport), which should be relatively easy to transfer between (no stairs required).

I don't really see that being an issue.

The issue is the lack of a connection beyond Carmarthen off the evening ferry sailing from Rosslare, which is very poor and makes the sailing useless for foot passengers despite having an excellent connection into it at Rosslare.

Similarly the poor connection from Cardiff & Swansea on Sunday mornings (almost 2.5 hours) during summer months when potential foot passenger usage would be highest. There is a connection from Swansea from September onwards, but none at all from Cardiff.

Last edited:

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
The changes are shown on line:-

www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk When t...of the Timetable Page above the PDF Listings.

Last edited:

Hophead

Established Member
Not strictly National Rail, but Eurostar's timetable PDF on the website runs until 27th May, with no obvious summer / autumn document. Times can obviously be deduced from trial bookings.

sufian123

Hi does anyone know, when the summer timetable officially kicks in please?

Last edited by a moderator:

berneyarms

Established Member
London Overground timetables are now available on the TfL website.

Currently available are:

Arriva Trains Wales
c2c
Chiltern
CrossCountry
East Midland Trains
Gatwick Express
Great Northern
Greater Anglia
GWR
London Midland
London Overground
Merseyrail
Northern
Scotrail
Southern
South West Trains
TfL Rail
Thameslink
Transpennine Express
Virgin Trains
Virgin Trains East Coast

Still outstanding are:

Network Rail eNRT & working timetables

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
London Overground timetables are now available on the TfL website.

Currently available are:

Arriva Trains Wales
c2c
Chiltern
CrossCountry
East Midland Trains
Gatwick Express
Great Northern
Greater Anglia
GWR
London Midland
London Overground
Merseyrail
Northern
Scotrail
Southern
South West Trains
TfL Rail
Thameslink
Transpennine Express
Virgin Trains
Virgin Trains East Coast

Still outstanding are:

Network Rail eNRT & working timetables

They would be the last as they would wait until anything last minute or any tweaking has been completed

PHILIPE

Veteran Member
ATW Sunday Fishguard services on a Sunday now sorted but Pwllheli connection at Machynlleth not yet got into the system. On a lighter note, perhaps, steps will be required at Cardiff to detrain passengers from the 0848 ex Maesteg which is shown to arrive on UML. Suspect should be Platform 2 and forming 0921 to Holyhead

David Turner

Have just downloaded the new timetable and the Monday to Friday 19.07 London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street still doesn’t appear in Table 65. Its been missing since it was retimed to run non stop from Euston to Runcorn. Not sure when that was, but I think it was at least two years ago!

It does however appear in table 91, the Crewe to Liverpool summary table.

dk1

Veteran Member
Have just downloaded the new timetable and the Monday to Friday 19.07 London Euston to Liverpool Lime Street still doesn’t appear in Table 65. Its been missing since it was retimed to run non stop from Euston to Runcorn. Not sure when that was, but I think it was at least two years ago!

It does however appear in table 91, the Crewe to Liverpool summary table.

Let's pray for it. It's one of the busiest Virgin departures from Euston on a Friday hence the change to running non-stop to Runcorn a couple of timetables back.

berneyarms

Established Member
Catering symbols appear to have been retained in the new eNRT despite Barry Doe's fears.

Kite159

Veteran Member
The SO 07:53 Chester-Runcorn service doesn't appear anywhere from what I can tell?

It is probably one of those oddity services which doesn't fit within any other timetable and is less famous than the Denton flyer (which I assume has kept it's separate timetable?)

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
It's in the Northern local timetable 15 (back page, unindexed, no date qualification, no map). https://be803fe5c416e39d38ae-aa2108...ng-winter-timetables/Northern-15-0317-web.pdf
It's not in ATW's equivalent.

RTT says it runs SO for the whole timetable period to 9 December.
Chester 0753, Runcorn 0814.

I know that it's in the Northern timetable pdf - it's a Northern service and they've always included it in a separate table. I wouldn't really expect it in the ATW timetable.

My point is that it's missing from the eNRT and has been for a while!

MikeWM

Established Member
Also, anyone who still misses the 'one file' version, you can create one yourself quickly using PDF Combine. This only takes a few minutes - and you can set an option to auto-generate bookmarks for each table, too!

(NB in the past I've recommended FoxyUtils. I don't anymore - their free version is significantly less functional than it used to be.)

Last edited:

berneyarms

Established Member
Station index and symbols are two separate files on the eNRT page above the full timetable files.

MikeWM

Established Member
Station index and symbols are two separate files on the eNRT page above the full timetable files.

Ah, so they are. Oops :|

Edit : To their credit, they have added Cambridge North and Ilkeston to the relevant maps, too.

Last edited:

Established Member
I'm told there is no extra EMT HST hire to VTEC on a Saturday in the new timetable. The extra Leeds trains are apparently resourced from the Mark 4 fleet.

Is this definite? I was on EMT set NL12 on the 17:19 Kings Cross to Hull on Wednesday, but was surprised to see that both internally and externally it had VTEC coach labels (although internally they were in addition to the EMT ones, meaning the TGS for instance had signage showing EMT 'Coach A' and VTEC 'Coach B'), which suggests something more permanent than just covering for an unavailable set for the day?

gavin

Not much change from Darlington a handful of services timed to arrive a bit later

Main changes are

Transpennine - Sunday services terminate at Manchester Victoria instead of Liverpool

Crosscountry - Saturday 07:15 to Plymouth will no longer run between Newcastle and York it will now form 1V48 07:45 York to Penzance arriving 15:38

Starmill

Veteran Member
Not much change from Darlington a handful of services timed to arrive a bit later

Main changes are

Transpennine - Sunday services terminate at Manchester Victoria instead of Liverpool

This is just down to engineering work taking place on Sundays for the Ordsall Chord and related works.

Starmill

Veteran Member
A couple of alterations - some welcome, some not - to VTWC's timetable from 20 May:

1. The Northampton 06:40 to London Euston 07:30 service no longer runs ECS between Birmingham New Street and Rugby. It continues to depart Rugby at 06:20 but starts at Birmingham New Street at 05:45 (calling at Birmingham International and Coventry), rather than at Rugby.

A pointless change for everyone except Midlands residents who happen to start work in Northampton around 7am, given that the Birmingham New Street 05:50 departure (calling at Birmingham International, Coventry and Milton Keynes) arrives in London Euston at 07:13, but why run ECS movements if guards are available?

The 05:45 via Northampton is a 5-car Voyager whereas the 05:50 fast service is an 11-car Pendolino, but this is unlikely to eliminate confusion given that the 05:50 comes from Wolverhampton and doesn't arrive in Birmingham New Street until 05:43, whereas the 05:45 will be available to board considerably before that. Hopefully the destination of the 05:45 will be advertised as "Northampton" at Birmingham New Street, Birmingham International and Coventry.​

2. The 16:43 London Euston to Edinburgh double-Voyager, departing Birmingham New Street at 18:15, apparently becomes a single Voyager between Birmingham New Street and Edinburgh. I'm not looking forward to that.

3. The 18:43 11-car Pendolino from London Euston (20:15 from Birmingham New Street) already terminates at Crewe. The 19:43 11-car Pendolino from London Euston (21:15 from Birmingham New Street), which currently terminates at Preston, will now also be terminating at Crewe! This means that the final direct service from Birmingham New Street to Warrington, Wigan and Preston will be at 19:15 instead of 21:15, instead of just for stations between Lancaster and Glasgow inclusive. However, passengers for Warrington, Wigan and Preston will continue to be able to depart Birmingham New Street at 21:15 and arrive at their destination at the same time, with a change at Stafford: see 5 below.

4. The 20:40 11-car Pendolino from London Euston to Manchester, non-stop to Crewe, will now be running to Crewe in 90 minutes (like every other xx:40 departure from London Euston), overtaking the 20:30 London Euston to Preston which calls at Tamworth and Lichfield. This is a positive change.

5. The 20:30 London Euston to Preston will now be calling additionally at Stafford and Crewe, rather than running non-stop between Lichfield and Warrington, extending the journey time from London to Warrington, Wigan and Preston by approximately 10 minutes. This change provides a departure from Stafford to Crewe (and on to Preston) at 22:00, between the 21:55 Virgin Trains service to Crewe (formerly Preston) and the 22:10 London Midland service to Liverpool. This appears to be designed to allow passengers on the 21:15 from Birmingham New Street to Crewe to connect at Stafford for Warrington, Wigan and Preston. Arrival times in Warrington, Wigan and Preston remain unchanged compared to the direct service. The connection at Stafford is approximately 10 minutes, which is more than adequate.

It would also appear that the M-F 1520 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly has gained a Macclesfield call. Why, I have no idea, but it has. So there are now Macclesfield to Manchester trains at 1702, 1706, 1721 and 1741. 1706 is the new one.

Kite159

Veteran Member
It would also appear that the M-F 1520 London Euston to Manchester Piccadilly has gained a Macclesfield call. Why, I have no idea, but it has. So there are now Macclesfield to Manchester trains at 1702, 1706, 1721 and 1741. 1706 is the new one.

It's too cater for those unable to board the voyager at 17:02 to free up space on the following local stopper ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.