• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2021 Timetable Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Platform capacity at Sheffield is relatively constrained, and thus even if the service were nominally 'split' at Sheffield, the units would likely still have to run in exactly the same way. There aren't enough platforms available for an ex-Lincoln unit to sit around until the next Lincoln service.

So you may as well show it as a through service, so that anyone travelling from Worksop to Meadowhall etc. isn't erroneously told they'll need to change trains (when in fact it's exactly the same train).

Quite. Given the typical 55 minute layover at Sheffield currently for the Lincoln services I would think that the train working through to Leeds is actually much easier to deal with at Sheffield than the service currently operating.

Greybeard33

Established Member
I live near Heaton Chapel - was my commuter station for years. The below applies Monday to Saturday since May 2018:

In short, HTC gains the Stoke towards Manchester, and Levenshulme gains the fast Buxton a few minutes behind it (likely the actual next train behind it; there's barely 5 minutes between them from Stockport.)

Towards the south, Levenshulme and Heaton Chapel gain the Southport to Alderley Edge to make 4 trains an hour in each direction, because the second Buxton calls at both stations both ways. The consistent stoppers, as I call them, are the Blackpool North to Hazel Grove, Manchester to Crewe, and the second Buxton when it runs outside of the (currently non-existent but railways have it in their minds that it still exists at the moment) peaks.

That means that currently, northbound can see up to the scheduled 4 trains an hour since the second Buxton runs only in the peaks, but southbound never does better than 3 trains an hour until at least the 12th, if not May, because the Southport to Alderley Edge isn't currently running past Manchester.
According to RTT, the Alderley Edge services will not be restored until 17 May. The "second Buxton" service will be peak only, so Heaton Chapel and Levenshulme will only have 3tphpd off peak.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Base service pattern for SWR on the main area as alluded to by Hamworthygoods is Waterloo Weymouth through services, Waterloo - Poole semi fasts and Poole - Winchester stoppers.
Exeter services appear to run through, however there is still only 2 trains an hour between Portsmouth and Haslemere, with the Haslemere terminator meaning there are 3 fasts through Guildford an hour.

I’m reasonably surprised to see there are several xX9x head codes? I thought peak extras were being pulled?

infobleep

Veteran Member
I see the bulk of the XX:50 Waterloo - Salisbury services are cut back to starting from Basingstoke again. Which is great other than the connection at Basingstoke being the XX:20 Waterloo - Exeter services. So anybody wanting Overton/Whitchurch will have a 30 minute fester at Basingstoke.

Great for winning back passengers:rolleyes:

At least the other way it's only a 6 minute wait for the train from Weymouth
I see that most XC trains stop at Winchester again. However, for those that don't, it's a 40 minute wait at Basingstoke in the down direction for a connection to Winchester. Enjoy!
Well if you are on a ticket that allows a break of journey, you can have a wonder around Basingstoke. It's next to the shops and maybe there's a park not to far away, like there is in Reading, when I went myself stuck there for 30 minutes or even longer, when trying to head south.

Peter0124

Established Member
I don't think 2tph Euston to Birmingham and Manchester on Avanti are returning until May 17th. However this weekend there will be for some reason. I know there is Warrington diverts but they're running 2tph from Stoke aswell as Birmingham.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Base service pattern for SWR on the main area as alluded to by Hamworthygoods is Waterloo Weymouth through services, Waterloo - Poole semi fasts and Poole - Winchester stoppers.
Exeter services appear to run through, however there is still only 2 trains an hour between Portsmouth and Haslemere, with the Haslemere terminator meaning there are 3 fasts through Guildford an hour.

I’m reasonably surprised to see there are several xX9x head codes? I thought peak extras were being pulled?
There are two fast trains an hour from Guildford to Clapham Junction but only 1 fast train an hour from Clapham Junction to Guildford, save on Sundays when it's two. I assume that is because there isn't the int to stop a fast down at Clapham Junction but there is time to stop one of rhe fast ups.

It's not much slower to join the Exeter train though.

After the 17:00 semi-faat Surbtion to Woking departs, there are no semi-fast or fast services from Surbtion to Woking until 20:00 and then it's two an hour again. One goes to Basingstoke and the other Alton.

I use to enjoy catching the fast down services from Surbtion to Woking. Will be a long time if ever that they return.

Are there any additional services running in May compared to nos? With this being the major train timetable change, how easy will it be for them to add in additional services when things open up more?

I thought, perhaps incorrectly, that they added in more services for a base timetable and then removed them if not required, so they didn't lose long term paths.

Does anyone know why the 18:45 Waterloo to Portsmouth and Southsea skips Clapham Junction? Is it because it is calling at Worplesdon?

Fast services from Clapham Junction to Guildford between 17:00 and 20:00 are as follows:
18:33, with a change at Woking.

For direct services there is the 16:52 and then nothing until 19:22. So a gap of 2 and half hours.

I guess if no one really is travelling, they don't see the need of a service.

In the up direction it is 6:52 Guildford to Clapham Junction and then 8:34, which is an 1h42m between direct trains and no indirect fast by changing at Woking.

The gap in the evening from 16:52 to 18:33 is 1h41m but unlike the morning services, where the gap following the 8:34 is only 30 minutes, in the evening, the gap following the 18:33 is 49 minutes.

I now see there is a fast 9:04 Woking to Surbtion services. 8:46 fast Guildford to Woking service. That's new. It allows a faster journey from Guildford to Surbiton Alas I currently have no need to travel regularly to Surbtion. Certainly something I might have used in the past if it had existed then.

Last edited:

infobleep

Veteran Member
I don’t recollect that train ever calling at Clapham Junction on Weekdays.
It didn't but there was an 18:46 that did and offered a connect at Woking but currently I don't think that is running.

What they probably don't know yet is when will be the most popular time for people to travel.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I don't think 2tph Euston to Birmingham and Manchester on Avanti are returning until May 17th. However this weekend there will be for some reason. I know there is Warrington diverts but they're running 2tph from Stoke aswell as Birmingham.

Unlocking the timetable for this weekend was a challenge too far, so it was left at the 6 that was originally planned.

Last edited:

Goldfish62

Established Member
Looks like the SWR services have now been added.
Some quite savage cuts on the suburban/Windsor side on weekdays (as compared to Dec 2019):

Reading - the considerable number of peak extras all withdrawn, last train from Waterloo withdrawn and an inexplicable hour gap during mid-evening (the service is actually reduced compared to the current Covid timetable).
Hounslow loop via Richmond - becomes peaks only
Windsor - the small number of peak extras withdrawn
Dorking - reduced to 1tph all day
Guildford via Clandon - reduced to 1tph all day

I dare say are other reductions as well.

Assuming this is long term there will clearly be a significant surplus of Class 701s!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Some quite savage cuts on the suburban/Windsor side on weekdays (as compared to Dec 2019):

Reading - the considerable number of peak extras all withdrawn, last train from Waterloo withdrawn and an inexplicable hour gap during mid-evening (the service is actually reduced compared to the current Covid timetable).
Hounslow loop via Richmond - becomes peaks only
Windsor - the small number of peak extras withdrawn
Dorking - reduced to 1tph all day
Guildford via Clandon - reduced to 1tph all day

I dare say are other reductions as well.

Assuming this is long term there will clearly be a significant surplus of Class 701s!

This isn’t exactly a surprise with all the commentary in the press having pointed to cuts being on their way on many TOCs.

You’re not quite right about Guildford via Clandon - it reduces from 4tph pre Covid to 3tph in this May timetable.

Goldfish62

Established Member
This isn’t exactly a surprise with all the commentary in the press having pointed to cuts being on their way on many TOCs.

You’re not quite right about Guildford via Clandon - it reduces from 4tph pre Covid to 3tph in this May timetable.
Thanks for the correction.

To me the extent of the cuts is a surprise. All the commentary had pointed to it being a slow burner over the next couple of years.

I appreciate it's dictated by the Treasury and the DfT, but some of it is hardly going to attract passengers back.

Bishopstone

Established Member
On my patch, the Saturday timetable is much fuller than mid-week.

For example, Lewes-Brighton is only 3tph mid-week (x2 Seafords plus x1 Hastings stopper), whereas it’s the full 6tph on Saturday, adding the x2 Lewes shuttles plus x1 Hastings semi-fast.

On the other side of Brighton, the West Worthing stoppers (x2 tph) likewise appear on Saturday only.

Looks like the powers that be are reckoning on a permanent collapse in commuting, but vast amounts of weekend leisure travel.

High Dyke

Established Member
Surprisingly doesn’t go into Grantham either!
Not really. The suggestion is that EMR don't actually want to run the service, but did commit to providing a later train. Much the same as the 23:00 from Peterborough - Lincoln, using the GN/GE Joint. It does not call at Sleaford.

FenMan

Established Member
I'm disappointed GWR haven't restored the 22:34 M-F North Downs Line departure from Reading, leaving a two hour hole in the timetable. That said, a Q path is visible on Realtime Trains from 24 May so fingers crossed it is restored sooner rather than later as its absence breaks a lot of useful connections.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
I'm disappointed GWR haven't restored the 22:34 M-F North Downs Line departure from Reading, leaving a two hour hole in the timetable. That said, a Q path is visible on Realtime Trains from 24 May so fingers crossed it is restored sooner rather than later as its absence breaks a lot of useful connections.

It looks as if the reason for this is to only outstable one unit instead of two each night at the Redhill end.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Line E blocked at Euston for 6 weeks for HS2, opening back up on May 17th
I was going to ask about this thank you.

Do you know what is closed from 17 July to the end of August please? I guess that's just about on topic here!

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
To answer a question from upthread, its correct that the GWR Saturday afternoon service to/from Brighton has been culled, along with several other ‘local’ services between Westbury and Southampton. Selected Cardiff-Portsmouth (and v.v.) services call at Dilton Marsh in lieu.

Similarly on Saturdays a couple of round trips Bristol to/from Worcester and Great Malvern have been cut back to Gloucester. Selected XC services call at Ashchurch to avoid creating 4h gaps.

This is all to reduce the pressure on traincrew depots to make the plan reliably deliverable on Saturdays and ensure there is sufficient voluntary resource to run an acceptable Sunday service as well.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Similarly on Saturdays a couple of round trips Bristol to/from Worcester and Great Malvern have been cut back to Gloucester. Selected XC services call at Ashchurch to avoid creating 4h gaps.

Presumably you then connect at the new Worcestershire Parkway station for Worcester?

Status
Not open for further replies.