• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2022 Timetable Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigD

Established Member
This thread is for any news regarding the May 2022 timetable.

Whilst the proposed ECML timetable has been deferred, are any enhancements planned for this timetable change?

Personally I'm hoping for an earlier LNER Kings Cross to Edinburgh (stopping at Peterborough) but I doubt we'll see it until the new ECML timetable is eventually introduced.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think Cross Country might be going back to a full timetable on the Scotland/Manchester to South Coast routes??

Most other changes I would imagine will be minor tweaks to the existing timetable now the ECML changes have been deferred.

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
I think Cross Country might be going back to a full timetable on the Scotland/Manchester to South Coast routes??

Most other changes I would imagine will be minor tweaks to the existing timetable now the ECML changes have been deferred.
I wouldn't expect anything on May 2022 for a little while yet. A lot is still undecided.

The Planner

Veteran Member
May has been offered but its still at the whim of any changes for service reductions. Don't expect much on the long distance XC routes to change.

greyman42

Established Member
Isn't it better having longer trains anyway ?
Not in my opinion because we have lost the North East to South East services which facilitate the longer trains, and the change times at New Street are terrible.

FenMan

Established Member
Not in my opinion because we have lost the North East to South East services which facilitate the longer trains, and the change times at New Street are terrible.

The change times at New Street are also terrible northbound for South West to North West passengers. I mean, who wants to travel from Cornwall, Devon, Somerset or Bristol to Manchester anyway?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Certainly not at the expense of frequency & increased destinations. The current timetable is so inferior.
The irony is, after Operation Princess, everyone was moaning how much better fewer but longer trains were :lol:

Class 170101

Established Member
The more frequent train service is what encouraged people to the railway in the first place.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Timetables have started to appear in Realtime Trains - Avanti, East Mids, LNER, Merseyrail, Scotrail and Crossrail at least.

Acton1991

Timetables have started to appear in Realtime Trains - Avanti, East Mids, LNER, Merseyrail, Scotrail and Crossrail at least.
Looks like the western section of Crossrail is seeing an increased service (AML for example up to 4 per hour in both directions)

james60059

Had a quick look at Avanti: Manchester - London back to 3tph, Birmingham - London 2tph (3tph at certain times).

Also looks like a fair few services from Holyhead to London Euston (7tpd).

I used Monday 16th May :smile:

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Looks like the western section of Crossrail is seeing an increased service (AML for example up to 4 per hour in both directions)
Still 4tph stopping service in West London, just extra calls at Acton Main Line and Hayes services going to Heathrow. That will depend on whether there is an increase in air travel - it would still be possible to cut half back to Hayes bay. Slight retiming of Reading services as well.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Still 4tph stopping service in West London, just extra calls at Acton Main Line and Hayes services going to Heathrow. That will depend on whether there is an increase in air travel - it would still be possible to cut half back to Hayes bay. Slight retiming of Reading services as well.
I thought Hayes Bay couldn’t take the FLUs?

Acton1991

Ah makes sense. Always wondered why the Hayes stoppers didn’t call at Acton Main Line.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Nice to see some of the patterns have been tidied on ScotRail, not perfect but Glasgow-Inverness is clockface at XX07 and that nonsense 0655 departure is advanced to 0707 and accelerated.

I notice the Glasgow-Inverness services are quite limited stop now - no Dunblane, Bridge of Allan or Gleneagles calls and only one makes more than the 4 main stops north of Perth. As a consequence all but one of the Edinburgh-Inverness ScotRail services are all stops north of Inverness.

LowLevel

Established Member
Still hardly any trains at Spondon with the Matlocks remaining as shuttles, it appears.

g22

No surprise to see the single EMR 1632 St Pancras to Leeds service cut back to Sheffield.

No 0942 or 1342 EMR from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield

LowLevel

Established Member
No surprise to see the single EMR 1632 St Pancras to Leeds service cut back to Sheffield.

No 0942 or 1342 EMR from Manchester Piccadilly to Sheffield
The data isn't necessarily complete so they could yet reappear - the outward working of the latter train runs at present (and is in RTT for May onwards) but it terminates at Nottingham on return at present.

I believe EMR North of Sheffield is now unlikely to return in any form, not worth reinstating the necessary route knowledge, with the token Leeds service being withdrawn.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Ah makes sense. Always wondered why the Hayes stoppers didn’t call at Acton Main Line.

Although it's only in the last couple timetable changes the Acton Main Line call changed from the Hayes terminators to the Heathrow trains. Same time as Hanwell went to 4tph (as previously that was mostly served by Heathrow trains with the Hayes terminators skipping).

It will be interesting if 4tph gives Acton Main Line a boost of passenger numbers.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I believe EMR North of Sheffield is now unlikely to return in any form, not worth reinstating the necessary route knowledge, with the token Leeds service being withdrawn.
I tend to agree, as has been noted before DfT didn’t require any services at all to Leeds when the last normal franchise was being negotiated, so it would be an obvious one to suggest permanent removal…

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I presume this includes the Saturday service to York as well?
I suppose the same logic applies if it wasn’t in the original franchise spec. But wasn’t it a different route, and a full return service to St Pancras? Might have a different purpose.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I've since noticed that an hourly Glasgow-Dundee stopper is now added, Invergowrie now having an hourly service each way and Gleneagles also gets a more regular service.

Status
Not open for further replies.