• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

May 2022 Timetable Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfollows

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BrianB

Public timetable now available at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/the-timetable/electronic-national-rail-timetable/ and https://timetables.fabdigital.uk/nrt/may2022/.
Working timetable available at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/the-timetable/working-timetable/ and it's no longer necessary to ask them for access, it's back to the way it used to be, including a single zip file containing all the WTTs if that's your requirement.
If you strip the may2022/ off our link, then you get the existing Dec 2021 as well https://timetables.fabdigital.uk/nrt

miklcct

On Moderation
I have two questions about the timetables:

1. The CrossCountry service south of Reading still remains at 2-hourly. I have a concern that it will going to be rammed even with full-length trains when making two additional changes is so unattractive. Also, the CrossCountry service is effectively the 3rd fast train to London from Southampton and Bournemouth as it connects nicely to the Exeter train at Basingstoke. Will there be any chance of it returning to hourly?

2. Will there be any chance for the Southeastern Orpington - Victoria service to get to 4 trains per hour? I turned up at Herne Hill just now hoping for a train to Brixton but seeing the departure board I didn't bother to travel at all. Brixton is the town centre and I can't really think why such local train service only deserves 2 trains per hour.

duncombec

I have two questions about the timetables:

2. Will there be any chance for the Southeastern Orpington - Victoria service to get to 4 trains per hour? I turned up at Herne Hill just now hoping for a train to Brixton but seeing the departure board I didn't bother to travel at all. Brixton is the town centre and I can't really think why such local train service only deserves 2 trains per hour.
A quick look at Real Time Trains suggests it is an off-peak frequency reduction between 11:00 and 15:30 - it's 4 trains an hour now (17:00)

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The CrossCountry service south of Reading still remains at 2-hourly. I have a concern that it will going to be rammed even with full-length trains when making two additional changes is so unattractive. Also, the CrossCountry service is effectively the 3rd fast train to London from Southampton and Bournemouth as it connects nicely to the Exeter train at Basingstoke. Will there be any chance of it returning to hourly?
They haven't declared their intention to permanently run that low a frequency, but XC are nevertheless the slowest operator to reintroduce services, with the "due to Omicron" timetable persisting until May, and even the pre-Omicron timetable representing a massive reduction from pre-Covid.

There is a significant national dispute brewing with all unions at all companies, primarily about pay. The situation will not improve until that is resolved, which could take months or (in the worst case scenario) years.

MikeWM

Established Member
I see Great Northern/Thameslink (table 15) is only valid until the start of September, and the new timetables on GN's website have the same. What's happening then?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Brixton is the town centre and I can't really think why such local train service only deserves 2 trains per hour.
There is a frequent bus service between Herne Hill and Brixton. The trains on that corridor are rarely packed at off peak times which is why 2tph is deemed enough.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Indeed Northern are withdrawing the 2215 Nottingham-Sheffield, this one runs via Derby and had 50+ passengers on it last night leaving Nottingham and Derby towards Sheffield.

I caught it a few weeks ago on a midweek evening and it had a standing load!

Two hour gap in service now from 2115-2315

The incoming working from Leeds 2004 to Nottingham will terminate at Sheffield instead.

That 23:15 service will be a bit grim on Friday (maybe even Saturday) nights.

Timmyd

There is a frequent bus service between Herne Hill and Brixton. The trains on that corridor are rarely packed at off peak times which is why 2tph is deemed enough.
No less busy than on the other SE suburban lines which get at least 4 and in some cases 6tph. Saturdays and evenings also been reduced 4 to 2tph, Saturdays can get very busy

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Public timetable now available at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/the-timetable/electronic-national-rail-timetable/ and https://timetables.fabdigital.uk/nrt/may2022/.
Working timetable available at https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/the-timetable/working-timetable/ and it's no longer necessary to ask them for access, it's back to the way it used to be, including a single zip file containing all the WTTs if that's your requirement.

Thanks, Timetable 3 seems to be missing from the NR zip but is available in the fab digital one.

DaveHarries

Established Member
One I have just spotted - not sure if it has been put here already - is one from GWR which is that 2G81 (SSuX) (0703 Westbury - Cheltenham Spa via. Melksham and Swindon) will start back from Salisbury at 0635. TImings between Westbury and Melksham are planned to be mostly the same as at present.

Dave

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I've thought about it and failed to think of a reason. Perhaps I'm missing an elephant in the room, but I still don't know. Any hints?
Leaf fall is one reason to change timetables in September. Another is if there is a further review of timetables in the light of demand at the end of the summer period. There may be others.

James H

Leaf fall is one reason to change timetables in September. Another is if there is a further review of timetables in the light of demand at the end of the summer period. There may be others.
Aren't leaf fall timetables usually a bit later in the season than that?

Peregrine 4903

Established Member
Yeah leaf fall wouldn't be at the start of September. Normally end of September/beginning of October.

Potential end (at one stage) of the GTR contract? Separation of GN and inclusion into LNER? The harvest season? The real EC IEP timetable? It's not immediately obvious here....

geoffk

Established Member
Just looked at RTT for May and see that the early Middlesbrough to Whitby train has gone. The return is now a bus from Nunthorpe.

The late middlesbrough to Whitby and return are now buses.

I thought it might just have been the week I chose being half term but the information shows it’s that till December.

Has there been a consultation/announcement or does anyone have any insights into the reason.
Surprised that the bus replacement can serve so many of the Esk valley stations - I guess it must be a minibus.

arb

Potential end (at one stage) of the GTR contract? Separation of GN and inclusion into LNER? The harvest season? The real EC IEP timetable? It's not immediately obvious here....
Is it confirming a September opening date for Crossrail, with a corresponding Thameslink timetable change for better connections at Farringdon?

Veteran Member
Surprised that the bus replacement can serve so many of the Esk valley stations - I guess it must be a minibus.
There is also a direct bus.

As for reasons - Northern have been instructed to economise, though I'm not sure how running buses meets that criterion. Reducing signallers' hours at Nunthorpe, possibly?
The early train is (was) a particularly wasteful use of a unit with loads of nearly-empty mileage, except perhaps from Nunthorpe to Middlesborough,where it has been bustituted.

thedbdiboy

No less busy than on the other SE suburban lines which get at least 4 and in some cases 6tph. Saturdays and evenings also been reduced 4 to 2tph, Saturdays can get very busy
It does highlight the second class nature of National Rail (DfT) funded services as opposed to those operated by TfL. Minimum 15 minute turn-up-and-go frequencies were a hard won thing for the Southern & Southeastern lines and have now been lost post-Covid due to 'demand'. Yet (for example) the good citizens of places such as Roding Valley, Chigwell and Grange Hill on the Central Line have a minimum 15 minute service which still operates despite being pretty much deserted off-peak.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yet (for example) the good citizens of places such as Roding Valley, Chigwell and Grange Hill on the Central Line have a minimum 15 minute service which still operates despite being pretty much deserted off-peak.
Every 20 minutes at those stations off peak but I get your point

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is it confirming a September opening date for Crossrail, with a corresponding Thameslink timetable change for better connections at Farringdon?
Got to love some of these suggestions :lol:

With Cross Eliz Purp running every 5 minutes I don't think there's any need to worry about connections.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
I disagree at least for me, the convenience of a direct train (and by a more interesting route) is better than jumping on a service to Queen St and having to then walk across the city to get to Central (I know it's a short walk but still). And if the units aren't needed elsewhere (if for example they just sit in Craigentinny) then why not just extend them over to Glasgow?
Exactly and what if there's disruption at Glasgow Queen Street? Trying to get in to Glasgow with rail replacement transport could be a headache if the traffic's bad.

Established Member
I see Great Northern/Thameslink (table 15) is only valid until the start of September, and the new timetables on GN's website have the same. What's happening then?

Start of a new timetable related to rolling stock changes on Southern Coastway routes and DfT mandated cost savings on TL/GN.

ClivePage

Table 178 worked for me. Worth trying again, maybe there was a fault and someone fixed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.